VAR in the SPFL

Going to be interesting to see how the new offside rule/trial in Den/Neth/Itl goes. I think it will see an improvement & have defenders a lot more focused on actual defending rather constantly trying to hold a line/catch players offside. I expect higher score lines in all three countries (imo) 

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn’t see another thread to put this so here will do.

Split arse penalty save today.  Questionable hand ball.  Slow motion always makes them look worse so penalty given

But surely then the keepers a mile off her line?  What’s the point of VAR if they’re just going to ignore easy decisions.  Or are they being influenced?  Make the ending more exciting…

shite penalty of course!

12 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Split arse penalty save today.  Questionable hand ball.  Slow motion always makes them look worse so penalty given

But surely then the keepers a mile off her line?  What’s the point of VAR if they’re just going to ignore easy decisions.  Or are they being influenced?  Make the ending more exciting…

shite penalty of course!

Was interesting that after the ref had studied the VAR screen that her decision was heard by all in the stadium, I thought that was a good idea*

*Shame it’ll never happen in Scotland as being one of the arse cheeks is a more than valid reason to receive a dodgy as fuck penalty decision

I didn’t have a problem with the process, it’s just modern football unfortunately.  Truth told, now they’ve got beat obviously, I actually felt there was a little bit of justice in the fact she did save it.

But, like the wolves ManU one last week I was left with a bit of a franchisee murican sport are you not entertained kind of a feeling, like some higher power suddenly decided which rules we were going to follow and which we weren’t.  The whole point of VAR is that you can’t do that.  Because we have eyes…

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

shite penalty of course!

100% that’s a retake penalty in real football but they wanted to keep the game exciting so never even considered retake. If Spain had scored it they probably would have had to retake. 

was definitely a penalty too. She fkn may have ‘bent her wrist’ but she still brought her arm to the ball & made no effort to pull away. Changed ball direction completely. Attacking player was through with ball (or at least putting ball through) without the guff muffs handball 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Roberto said:

First couple pages were interesting. Many called it.

NEM nailed it in the second post: 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, NEM said:

Gads.  Standby for every goal or tackle in the box against the scum to be examined for the slightest infringement while contentious calls the other way are deemed not worth looking at.

Either get foreign VAR operators or get VAR in the bin.

They discussed Scottish VAR on the radio at the weekend.

We have to tolerate it so the Scottish refs…

wait for it…

so that Scottish refs get a pop at European and International fixtures 😂😂😂

Nae even joking. That’s the main reason it won’t be binned. Apart from the obvious.

2 hours ago, Roberto said:

The VAR check trying massively to try find a handball before hun goal.

Honestly a 2 minute check killed our defence mentally. We were doing just fine and then the game died, we switched off. I could see blatantly it wasn't a pen. Was a fucking joke.

This.  VAR fucking destroys the natural tempo and flow of a game.  Can't believe it's tolerated.  The clubs should go on strike until it's binned.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Best way to ‘reduce’ some of the potential bias/corruption/paranoia (depending on your viewpoint) rgds VAR in Scotland, is to bung Eng FA a fee each week & use their VAR’s.

can’t be any more technically difficult to link their base system up to the grounds around Scotland & use their guys. 

You seen some of the decisions being made by VAR officials in England? Just as corrupt on a grander scale. 

On 9/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, muttonhumper said:

Nope.

Just another layer for them to fuck us over with.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:42 PM, Ke1t said:

I don't see it that way. 

Referees constantly give decisions based on bias, obscured views, crowd and player reactions etc. 

If they're forced to go watch a replay then they have zero excuse for not making a more informed decision, regardless of the thousands of baying Huns that would ordinarily influence the decision. 

On 9/20/2022 at 1:49 AM, maryhilldon said:

I'm of the opinion that VAR can only help. Some of the decisions that go against us are so blatantly wrong that even the most inept VAR official would struggle to make the wrong call. I reckon it'll save us about 10 points a season. 

On 9/20/2022 at 3:47 AM, Ke1t said:

The footage will later be viewed by everyone in the country, and the BitB is then going to have to explain why, even with VAR, he couldn't see what everyone else in the country could see.  As it stands they have plausible deniability, "Didn't see it, my bad. Whoopsie. Still, Sevco/Celtic have the points now, so nothing to be done." VAR removes that plausible deniability. 

It puts them in a much harder and more exposed position, and that only helps the shite teams such as ourselves. 

On 9/20/2022 at 4:10 AM, maryhilldon said:

Bang on.  Harder to justify an 'honest mistake ' after you've watched 20 replays.

:clangers2:

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The only issue with VAR is that you have known huns in charge of it, & they use it as a safety net for the scum if they need it.

That’s clear to see.

So, keep VAR, but outsource it to England and tell the SFA we won’t pay for it unless they do. 

Agree with the sentiment, but wouldn't they then just subtract the cost from any revenue distribution?