VAR in the SPFL

35 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

I don't live in Aberdeen so wouldn't know. I know several Edinburgh refs that have been told they have hit the ceiling at Cat 2 before they have the opportunity to go to Cat 1.

Ah have they?

And what about them being told they weren't good enough for cat 1 refereeing do you disagree with?

Specifically,  please 

• Dildo 3

My mate used to ref up here and was told it was extremely rare for any refs from this area to be promoted up through the ranks. They prefer to use refs from the central belt area.

Now whether that's just a case of there being more refs down that way or an attempt at bias who knows. 

Once my mate realised there was very little chance of progression he jacked it. 

Just now, Redtillimdead said:

My mate used to ref up here and was told it was extremely rare for any refs from this area to be promoted up through the ranks. They prefer to use refs from the central belt area.

Now whether that's just a case of there being more refs down that way or an attempt at bias who knows. 

Once my mate realised there was very little chance of progression he jacked it. 

Come on, I seriously doubt that there are / were a number of decent match officials capable of making it to the top level from the North East that have been deliberately overlooked for central belt counterparts.

Who the fuck would want to be a match official these days anyway?!?

36 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Come on, I seriously doubt that there are / were a number of decent match officials capable of making it to the top level from the North East that have been deliberately overlooked for central belt counterparts.

Who the fuck would want to be a match official these days anyway?!?

I'm only saying what he told me. He'd have been perfect as well. English and supports Liverpool. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest milne_afc
1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

Can you ever remember referees getting so much wrong in one season? It seems worse than ever. 

The biggest issue is the level of scrutiny from the uninitiated and assorted halfwits. Are people just realising the game is rigged?

3 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I’ve nae really been into Pittodrie much this season for a few reasons but last night was a terrible experience. No idea what was going on half the time, referee stopping the game for ages etc. 

Can you ever remember referees getting so much wrong in one season? It seems worse than ever. 

They need screens and we should be able to see or hear what’s being discussed. In years to come folk will think we were in the dark ages.

Good example last night of knowing the game.

Question is asked why McRorie's arm is so high which is fair enough.  His arm is high because he's trying to break though Dunne's clothes line.  The wider question is why Dunne's arm is involved at all.  

I see why its given but experienced officials give a booking each way and probably give the foul to the Defender (it should be the other way but doing it that way returns the game to neutral as opposed to the double jeopardy potential giving the attacking team the foul might bring).   

edit: meaning the double jeopardy to the refs report card.  Nobody cares about the result. 

2 hours ago, RUL said:

They need screens and we should be able to see or hear what’s being discussed. In years to come folk will think we were in the dark ages.

They also need to show all the angles.

Do they see angles we don’t? 

For example, the 3rd goal last night… can you tell from that angle we saw it’s over the line? I think he’s guessed. 

VAR can’t overrule a useless cunt who gives a handball for a ball hitting a player in the face though. Incredible he saw that as a free kick.  
The ref last night was clearly out his depth.   

The refs in general are the worst batch ever.

VAR is only highlighting it now. 

But the SFA do fuck all about it, the referees are unaccountable.  
Collum has been ruining football matches for a decade now. 

8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

They also need to show all the angles.

Do they see angles we don’t? 

For example, the 3rd goal last night… can you tell from that angle we saw it’s over the line? I think he’s guessed. 

VAR can’t overrule a useless cunt who gives a handball for a ball hitting a player in the face though. Incredible he saw that as a free kick.  
The ref last night was clearly out his depth.   

The refs in general are the worst batch ever.

VAR is only highlighting it now. 

But the SFA do fuck all about it, the referees are unaccountable.  
Collum has been ruining football matches for a decade now. 

Doesn’t look over to me either. Bizarre 

surely is tennis can tell if a ball touches the line by 1mm we can come up with some sort of system

To me two issues with VAR.

1. it takes too long anything over 1 min isnt a clear an obvious error.

2. people have no idea what the var is looking at or why a decision is made in a certain way

1 will get better but a 1 min "rule" seems fair. 

2 mics should go live when between VAR and the ref on a var review ( players are told to go away so no language issues)

I also think the SPFL should run a  ref league
All straight red cards must go to an on pitch review
All penalties must go to an on pitch review

every var Review that disagrees with the ref -1 point
every Screen VAR review should be reviewed by an independent panel (that can overrule or upgrade cards) if the ref and panel  disagree then its -2 points

A negative score means refs arent doing a good job so lets see who are the best refs and who constantly gets it wrong

By the way an independent panel means that there should be no appeals process

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bamber said:

surely is tennis can tell if a ball touches the line by 1mm we can come up with some sort of system

To me two issues with VAR.

1. it takes too long anything over 1 min isnt a clear an obvious error.

2. people have no idea what the var is looking at or why a decision is made in a certain way

1 will get better but a 1 min "rule" seems fair. 

2 mics should go live when between VAR and the ref on a var review ( players are told to go away so no language issues)

I also think the SPFL should run a  ref league
All straight red cards must go to an on pitch review
All penalties must go to an on pitch review

every var Review that disagrees with the ref -1 point
every Screen VAR review should be reviewed by an independent panel (that can overrule or upgrade cards) if the ref and panel  disagree then its -2 points

A negative score means refs arent doing a good job so lets see who are the best refs and who constantly gets it wrong

By the way an independent panel means that there should be no appeals process

Can we start where the SFA don’t appoint known Huns aren’t as refs for hun matches?

We can then move on to accountability & transparency.

The SFA is an out of touch organisation though. 
Always has, and unless the clubs do something about it, always will be. 

It’s up to the clubs to change it.  
Doing fuck all about it will just see the same cheats & inadequate referees ruin games. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:42 PM, englishred said:

Well to be honest that's unfortunate however the SFA/SPFL need to find neutral refs , if that means employing English refs or other nationalities then so be it,  having to play them 4 times each a season gives them a big enough advantage over everyone without further help.  Only issue is that the scots refs might get shown up, the level of refereeing here is diabolical.

It is a known fact that the SFA favour promoting west coast officials to their pool of refs. Plenty people from the rest of Scotland are Assistant refs but go no further. 
The SFA rarely seem to demote refs who perform badly .Would be interesting to see how many refs have been in charge of Rangers games this season. Beaton, Walsh, Collum(was banned from reffing Rangers games for a while for not favouring them- making up for it now)and Robertson will have been in charge of almost all.

• Dildo 1
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, caledonia said:

Imagine this happening in Scotland 

Lee Mason: Official leaves referees' body PGMOL after VAR error https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64683971

Imagine us even having a PGMOL (equivalent)

But we don't, we have toy-town, amateur refs, accountable to nobody, held to no standards.

And for some reason are wasting money on giving them an expensive VAR system.

Money that would have been better spent on setting up a professional referee service like they have in England.

For years the authorities up here have been telling us we can't afford professional referees.

I wonder why? 🤔

• Upvote 1