Leighton Clarkson

We've never once made any of these types of loans permanent in the past that I can remember. 

Who are the highest profile loans we've ever made permanent? Logan? Reynolds?  Christie was close but no cigar. 

These boys are here to help further their career by putting themselves in the shop window.  We can't really get too attached to them. 

All we can ask is that they give their all while they are here. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think it’s pant pishing to say that signing Clarkson would be an absolute coup and one with a confident sell on value. And as such it’s highly unlikely. It would be utterly Hunnish for the Orcs to get him but personally I think we’ll be priced out by a championship club and that will be that. Only daylight on this one is if Liverpool extend his contract and we get him on loan again. And even that now seems to be a non starter. He would go to England with best wishes and that is almost certainly what will happen. A league one club could no doubt blow our wages out of the water and money talks. 

In a perfect world he signs for us on a two year contract with the obligatory release clause and agreements and doesn’t end up playing for Lucifer’s XI. But as someone else pointed out….that’s never the outcome in these situations. Agents, money and competition means we lose out. 

anyway….back to pishing the pants. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We've never once made any of these types of loans permanent in the past that I can remember. 

Who are the highest profile loans we've ever made permanent? Logan? Reynolds?  Christie was close but no cigar. 

These boys are here to help further their career by putting themselves in the shop window.  We can't really get too attached to them. 

All we can ask is that they give their all while they are here. 

James Wilson.

But he turned out to be shite.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I would hope so too. Come to the Dons and be our main player and start 50 games.

Risk going elsewhere and being on the bench for the full season.

He's 21 and only has one season as a first pick under his belt.

Or, get £5k per week with us (max), or get double that in the English Championship. 

It’s not a difficult decision really. 

• Dildo 1
2 hours ago, Joe pike said:

He was shite when he was on loan to us.

Couldn’t believe it when McInnes took him back on a permanent contract.

Did he not show the odd flash of being half decent-a good turn and shot from the edge of the box for a goal?Or was it a mazy run? 

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Or, get £5k per week with us (max), or get double that in the English Championship. 

Would be great if he extended his loan or we actually pushed the boat and signed him yes it would be expensive 

Just say to Leighton want would you either do gain valuable European experience and play every week or play for the likes of Preston North End or Stoke City where you have no European football and not even guaranteed a first team place 

Sign for us say for two years really put yourself in the shop window and play for a club who really wants you an will look after you  

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

Did he not show the odd flash of being half decent-a good turn and shot from the edge of the box for a goal?Or was it a mazy run? 

Clearly had talent, completely wasted it though. Shite the vast majority of his time here 

18 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

I've had this horrible feeling the last few days that he'll end up at the Huns.

Doubt it would be a good move for him. The lad has been good for us but the hun fans will be expecting players capable of winning the league and he would be a bit of a punt for them. 

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

Yep, not with us though, he did make Kilmarnock finish higher in the table than us at his peak form though under Clarke, which with there budget that was incredible.

4 hours ago, Joe pike said:

He was shite when he was on loan to us.

Couldn’t believe it when McInnes took him back on a permanent contract.

Mcinnes was as much use as a chocolate tea pot in the transfer market. 

19 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Hey but Hun DMC is above reproach 

Definitely isn't above reproach on this forum - just a small number of absolute nuggets can't hear a bad word because they've placed the guy on a pedestal.

Can't see it happening with Robson thankfully....

17 minutes ago, BrisDon said:

Doubt it would be a good move for him. The lad has been good for us but the hun fans will be expecting players capable of winning the league and he would be a bit of a punt for them. 

I've no reason to think he's going to the Huns but money talks and players don't tend to think like that - wherever he goes he'll back himself to be a regular.

38 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Yep, not with us though, he did make Kilmarnock finish higher in the table than us at his peak form though under Clarke, which with there budget that was incredible.

38 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

I meant Wilson.Sure he scored a cracker in one game that showed he could do it.He is just another in a very long list of lads with bags of ability but a heart the size of a pea, and unwilling to put the effort in to make the most of it.

9 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The 1 or 2 seasons at Aberdeen is an easier route to the big time than League One or Championship. The money really wont be that much different in the short term

We were paying Ojo more than that, several other players are on/around that wage and I imagine there's scope to go above that for the right player.

Offer him £10k a week on a 3 year deal... if he has another season like last season he'll be off next summer anyway for multiple millions. We give him £520K for one season and we'll get back about 6 or 7 times that, and he will win us a number of points which might affect our league position. His set piece quality alone could make a big difference in the European games especially. 

If we were paying Ramirez approx £10k a week (which was widely reported) Clarkson is definitely more than worth splashing out the same on.

• Upvote 2
35 minutes ago, Oregon Red said:

Probably.  class player. Another destroyed by Glass/ Godwin. Would have been an awesome asset now going into Europe

I think he was pretty good under glass. It was the muppet Goodwin that destroyed him. 

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Ramadani is off to Barca that’s why. 

Wow there’s a tussle for him I thought it was Man City he was going to to replace gundogan. Could be a bidding war here 

As he's supposedly only on £3k a week at Liverpool we could still easily double his wages which isn't bad for a 21 year old.

Could he earn more elsewhere, of course... but at least with us he'd know he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet (probably wouldn't be at the huns) and he'd be able to get more exposure in the European group stages (won't EVER have that at a Championship / League 1 club in England). 

Looking likely that it won't happen but coming to us wouldn't be the worst move for him in the long term... unless he's literally all about the money.