4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don’t mind changing formations about but I have absolutely never seen Aberdeen have a good run of form with a defence that’s anything other than a back 4. 5s and 3s just never result in good runs for us. 

The absolute managerial GOAT, SAF, rarely played a back 3. Recall once he played Tattie alongside McLeish and Miller at Ibrox, and Dobbin ditto at Parkheed, and never once at Man U.

It’s a formation that requires players who have grown up in that strategy, not chucked together journeymen like wot we have

3 hours ago, ferlaytio said:

He’s been absolutely honking since he came back. Was that 3 or 4 seasons ago? For some reason nobody ever mentions it. He can’t actually kick the ball properly. 

I’ve not seen anyone mention it either but tough to watch. Couldn’t believe he lasted 90 yesterday 

10 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Don’t mind changing formations about but I have absolutely never seen Aberdeen have a good run of form with a defence that’s anything other than a back 4. 5s and 3s just never result in good runs for us. 

Didnt we win 7 games on the spin with a back 5 last season?

50 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

He’s not got the legs to go by anyone anymore but you can’t fault the wee bastard’s determination and work ethic.

i fully agree, but he can't pass or even put in a decent cross. I loved Jonny but like McGinn should never of game back.

Handy when shoring up the midfield last 10 mins maybe but that's it.

16 hours ago, Willo flood said:

Dont know if this has already been covered but it’s absolutely mental that our only width is him and Devlin, both of which are very poor going forward.

Was Devlin a wing back at Livingston? If not it seems very strange that we have signed two out and out right backs then proceeded to build our whole team around a formation that relies heavily on wingbacks to provide any sort of width.

Devlin was mor eof your standard full back for Livi but did get up the pitch quite a bit, lot of crosses for them but he did have a big lump to aim at.

16 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Or Dadia? The lesser spotted? Isn’t he a supposed right wing back?

Devlin was probably happy to sign for us in the knowledge that he’d be played out of position, given he probably tripled his wages.

Hayes has been a magnificent player for Aberdeen for over 8 seasons now and if McGarry had remained fit, I don’t think we’d be seeing much of the Dubliner but it’s sad to see how much he’s regressed.

Stands to reason though, he’s 36, FFS. A return to ICT probably more in keeping with his current skillset

Or Dadia is more suited to being in a 4 and I believe he doesn't have much pace.

• 3 weeks later...

Aberdeen FC star Jonny Hayes has been banned from driving after racing past police at more than 125mph on his way to training.

The former Celtic footballer left police in an unmarked BMW “for dead” and he overtook them on the AWPR and accelerated away at eye-watering speeds – despite a yellow weather warning being in place at the time.

Famed for his lightning pace at the height of his career, the 36-year-old sprinted down Union Street at the conclusion of the case after being allowed to leave court via a side door by social workers.

What a last paragraph that is 🤣