Dons In Europe - 2023/24

24 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It might as well be written in Sanskrit or Arabic as I can't make out who actually we can be drawn against come what Monday.

The song "Pop Musik" by M springs to mind.:dontknow:

It isn't the clearest way of representing data I've ever seen, although it could likely be simplified, as we now know who the Champions League QL2 Losers are. 

For example, we won't be facing Galatasaray or Panathinaikos. Dnipro or Zalgris Vilnius are possible though. 

EDIT: I see now that the winners have already been carried over, so you can pretty much ignore anything on the two Champions League QL2 tables. 

EDIT AGAIN: Actually, not sure I get it either. Panithinaikos and Servette won their CL QR2 ties, so not sure why this guy has them in Europa League QR3. A mistake is my guess. 

8 minutes ago, TopDon said:

It isn't the clearest way of representing data I've ever seen, although it could likely be simplified, as we now know who the Champions League QL2 Losers are. 

For example, we won't be facing Galatasaray or Panathinaikos. Dnipro or Zalgris Vilnius are possible though. 

EDIT: I see now that the winners have already been carried over, so you can pretty much ignore anything on the two Champions League QL2 tables. 

EDIT AGAIN: Actually, not sure I get it either. Panithinaikos and Servette won their CL QR2 ties, so not sure why this guy has them in Europa League QR3. A mistake is my guess. 

https://afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/46643-play-off-draw/&do=findComment&comment=2495406

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, TopDon said:

Very true as I know Servette won on pens last night and will now face the abhorrent filth next.

As you quite say as well, Panathinaikos did the business in their CL qualifier as well.

Out of the alleged teams we could face, Qarabag you would've thought would be a seed. Fuck playing them on that excuse of a pitch again.

Reporting live from Lugano, who are one of our potential opponents.

Tried my best to find some good, traditional pubs and the local strip clubs, but alas, this place is for the high rollers. Cafe bars and piazza's are the norm. Very much Italian in the look and feel, with official language here Italian. The woman are as you'd expect... Ma man!!!! Just how they'd react to 2000 pissed up Dons fans rampaging through their beautiful town centre, I'm not sure.

Super expensive, as is most things in Switzerland right now, partly due to the pishy exchange rate, but also because they are well known for being an expensive country. A typical Maccy-D's meal will set you back about £10-12.

Accommodation wise - well, it's all pretty much hotels and super expensive apartments, although there's plenty to be had on the usual websites.

Stadium is your typical open bowl with running track - circa 15000 capacity. See they are topping Swiss league having played 2.

A feckin wonderful place to come for a couple of nights - cheap flights direct from Edi to Milan (Malpensa or Linate) would be my recommdendation, or change at T5 with BA. For the convenience of getting here, it'd be outweighed slightly be the cost of being here.... they don't have Gucci, LVT, Christies auction house etc, and have a standard of living like Govan, that's for sure. Hoping we draw them as I'd reckon we'd have a very good chance of beating them over two legs.

A line up of the ELO strength of the teams we could face. Huns and Ross County for context. Decent wee chance for us with a good draw.

• Rangers             1643
  • Genk                  1634
  • Slavia Prague    1611
  • Qarabag            1567
  • Olympiacos       1542
  • Lugano              1530
  • Sheriff Tiraspol 1516
  • BK Hacken        1495
  • Ludogrets          1467
  • Dnipro                1434
  • Astana               1397
  • ABERDEEN         1333
  • HJK Helsinki      1301
  • BATE Borisov     1301
  • Zrinski Mostar   1247
  • Breidablik          1240
  • Zalgiris               1233
  • Ross County      1221
24 minutes ago, Dandie1992 said:

A line up of the ELO strength of the teams we could face. Huns and Ross County for context. Decent wee chance for us with a good draw.

• Slavia Prague    1611
  • Olympiacos       1542
  • Sheriff Tiraspol 1516
  • BK Hacken        1495
  • ABERDEEN         1333
  • HJK Helsinki      1301
  • BATE Borisov     1301
  • Zrinski Mostar   1247
  • Ross County      1221

Love Jeff Lynne 

13 hours ago, Dandie1992 said:

• Slavia Prague    1611
  • Olympiacos       1542
  • Sheriff Tiraspol 1516
  • BK Hacken        1495
  • ABERDEEN         1333
  • HJK Helsinki      1301
  • BATE Borisov     1301
  • Zrinski Mostar   1247
  • Ross County      1221

Most of them with Euro group stage experience recently.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:30 PM, Tord31 said:

Rubezic IN.

We still have 2 Spots free for foreigners.

Spaces also available for a player trained in Scotland or even better players trained at Dons

Ramadani OUT

We have 3 Spots free for foreigners and 1 Spot free for a Scotland trained player.

Given that we'll likely have sell-out crowds and maximise our revenues regardless of which Euro league we end up in, is it a stretch to say we might be better off in the Conference League this time - where we may actually have a chance of progressing - as opposed to getting humped in the Europa League, like the Diet Huns did? 

29 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Given that we'll likely have sell-out crowds and maximise our revenues regardless of which Euro league we end up in, is it a stretch to say we might be better off in the Conference League this time - where we may actually have a chance of progressing - as opposed to getting humped in the Europa League, like the Diet Huns did? 

No

53 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

We’ll likely get humped regardless so we might as well maximise the cash.

Europa League if at all possible, but need a good amount of luck in the draw. 

Need to definitely avoid Prague, Olympiakos, Genk or Qarabag or we’ll get a scudding.  
The other alternatives and there’s a chance we get through. 

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It was the Conference League they were in last season. They got dumped out of the Europa League qualifiers by Zurich.