Dons In Europe - 2023/24

9 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

Terrible shout imo.

We'd get beat, have to listen to the farmers league shite and both shit away trips.

Fola Esch > Burnley for example.

Playing Liverpool in a competitive game would be something.

I agree on the others; not convinced by Brighton, West Ham or Villa.

1 hour ago, Ramandu said:

Also, Hibs find out who they're playing in the conference league QR2 today.

There but for the grace of Robson go we.

A bit of a shoe-in for Hibs getting Faroese or Andorran opposition, when it could have been Denmark or Sweden in their pot.

Incidentally I note that the Swedish and Icelandic sides beaten 5-3 on aggregate by Glass' Dons team not so long back are now the champions of their respective nations.

1 hour ago, Nebitdag said:

A bit of a shoe-in for Hibs getting Faroese or Andorran opposition, when it could have been Denmark or Sweden in their pot.

Incidentally I note that the Swedish and Icelandic sides beaten 5-3 on aggregate by Glass' Dons team not so long back are now the champions of their respective nations.

Even with their renowned ability to Hibs-it even they should manage to get through that tie and get Scotland's co-efficient to a good start for 23-24

1 hour ago, Nebitdag said:

Scandinavia seems to be a market we don’t fish in.

Seems odd to me.

58 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Scandinavia seems to be a market we don’t fish in.

Seems odd to me.

Ronald Hernandez and Thomas Solberg are two reasons why AFC aren't so proactive in the Scandinavian market (Tobias Lauritsen aside) compared with others. 

Whilst we did alright with Stavrum, Guntveit, Boel, and Petersen, not a lot players that have been acquired directly from the Superliga, Eliteserien, Allsvenskan, and Veikkausliiga have made much of an impact in our league.

Squad for europe shaping up as below.

2 foreign spots still free. Moving Lewis and Stewart on will open up another 2. Sign a Scottish player or 2 and jobs a good un

Home Grown / National / B Squad

Barron, Ngwenya, Mackenzie, Devlin, Milne, Shinnie, Duncan, Bavidge

Remaining squad (restricted to 17)

1. Roos

2. Lewis

3. MacDonald

4. Williams

5. Hayes

6. Polvara

7. Stewart

8. Ramadani

9. Richardson

10. Duk

11. Vinnie

12. Morris

13. Sokler

14. Miovski

15. Clarkson

On 6/28/2023 at 11:18 PM, Tord31 said:

Squad for europe shaping up as below.

2 foreign spots still free. Moving Lewis and Stewart on will open up another 2. Sign a Scottish player or 2 and jobs a good un

Home Grown / National / B Squad

Barron, Ngwenya, Mackenzie, Devlin, Milne, Shinnie, Duncan, Bavidge

Remaining squad (restricted to 17)

1. Roos

2. Lewis

3. MacDonald

4. Williams

5. Hayes

6. Polvara

7. Stewart

8. Ramadani

9. Richardson

10. Duk

11. Vinnie

12. Morris

13. Sokler

14. Miovski

15. Clarkson

Tom Ritchie possibly one of the home grown players as we need to register 3 keepers? Although 1 of them can be on List B but I don't think Tom is eligible for List B due to the 1 loan rule?

• 2 weeks later...

One of our "projected" potential Europa League Play-Off opponents Zalgiris Vilnius just been held 0-0 at home to North Macedonian Champions Struga (the lowest ranked team in the competition!) in their CL-Q1 1st leg tie.

2 of our other "projected" potential opponents, Flora Tallinn & Maccabi Haifa are just about to kick off in their respective ties.

Not turning into a good night for the potential projected teams

Zalgiris Vilnius 0 - 0 Struga 0
Raków Czestochowa 1- 0 Flora Tallinn

Looks like the Hamrun v Maccabi game is finally back under way after a 30 minute stoppage. But might Maccabi get kicked out the competition?

48 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Interesting to see Breidablik beating Shamrock 1-0. Obviously either of them would be a great draw.

Winners plays Copenhagen so presumably the winner will be in the hat for Europa QR3

I notice Breidablik scored 12 goals in their 2 preliminary round games. Finishes 0-1 to Breidablik

A few decent results for the unseeded teams tonight. 

Ballkani 2-0 over Ludogorets (Anyone fancy a trip to Kosovo?)

KI Klaksvik held Ferencváros to a 0-0

Partizani Tirana held BATE Borisov to a 1-1

Qarabag needed a 94th minute goal to beat Lincoln Red Imps

Zrinjski Mostar needed an 89th minute goal to beat Urartu

But Maccabi Haifa won 4-0

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, englishred said:

Maccabi haifa would be the team to avoid i think.  Yes i think we could beat them but Scottish teams have a terrible record in qualifying games

5 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Bring them on

Would prefer to avoid them but pretty much every pot 3 options is likely to be better than every pot 4 option. (Question over Lugano)

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Would prefer to avoid them but pretty much every pot 3 options is likely to be better than every pot 4 option. (Question over Lugano)

Aye, would be just our luck to get Slavia Prague.

Incidentally did you see that Juventus have been kicked out of Europe so if we do have to drop down to the Conference League they won't be in our group.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

Aye, would be just our luck to get Slavia Prague.

Incidentally did you see that Juventus have been kicked out of Europe so if we do have to drop down to the Conference League they won't be in our group.

Aye a trip to Prague would be shite right enough