Dons In Europe - 2023/24

15 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

The thing for me is that finishing 3rd in the Europa League groups is the same as finishing 2nd in the Conference groups and leads to the Conference Knockout Playoff.

Agreed & I would hazard a guess that the cash difference between each position is pretty minimal 

5 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

is it a stretch to say we might be better off in the Conference League this time - where we may actually have a chance of progressing - as opposed to getting humped in the Europa League, like the Diet Huns did? 

42 minutes ago, Medw1311 said:

The thing for me is that finishing 3rd in the Europa League groups is the same as finishing 2nd in the Conference groups and leads to the Conference Knockout Playoff.

Aye.

So 1st, 2nd or 3rd in Europa League >>> Euro fitba in New Year.

3rd in Conference = Oot.

2 hours ago, Medw1311 said:

And we'd play a team who finished second in their conference league group, so in theory not even the strongest teams there. Worth keeping an eye on that. The formats are changing at the start if 24-25 season so not sure if that will happen in future.

7 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Given that we'll likely have sell-out crowds and maximise our revenues regardless of which Euro league we end up in, is it a stretch to say we might be better off in the Conference League this time - where we may actually have a chance of progressing - as opposed to getting humped in the Europa League, like the Diet Huns did? 

I think the standard will be so high in both groups that we'll be better off in Europa aiming for 3rd place.

3 progress in Europa as opposed to 2 in ECL.

If you are in ECL and take a couple of tankings then will have some meaningless games whereas in Europa all six games are almost guaranteed cup finals

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Given that we'll likely have sell-out crowds and maximise our revenues regardless of which Euro league we end up in, is it a stretch to say we might be better off in the Conference League this time - where we may actually have a chance of progressing - as opposed to getting humped in the Europa League, like the Diet Huns did? 

Three teams qualify from Europa league (3rd place drop into conference knock outs) and only two from Conference league so nah, europa league be far better 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Patty said:

It was the Conference League they were in last season. They got dumped out of the Europa League qualifiers by Zurich. 

I stand corrected, yes. 

11 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Yeah that was a pretty uneducated post that you rightly corrected. 

Imagine crediting the diet Huns win ‘Europa’ groups 🤣

Not so much uneducated, as poor memory recall - and not checking that before I posted. As stated above, I stand corrected. No big deal. It was however secondary to my main point, which was that in theory we'd have a better chance of finishing 2nd in a Conference League group than a Europa League group, unless we get a very fortunate draw... Which leads to the following point from Muttonhumper...

10 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

Aye.

So 1st, 2nd or 3rd in Europa League >>> Euro fitba in New Year.

3rd in Conference = Oot.

Thank you for the clarification. European football in the New Year would be a hell of a coup for us, not to mention a financial bounty, but could be detrimental to our chances of consolidating 3rd place. The Board would have to ensure we have the strength in depth, so the January window would be crucial.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I stand corrected, yes. 

Not so much uneducated, as poor memory recall - and not checking that before I posted. As stated above, I stand corrected. No big deal. It was however secondary to my main point, which was that in theory we'd have a better chance of finishing 2nd in a Conference League group than a Europa League group, unless we get a very fortunate draw... Which leads to the following point from Muttonhumper...

Thank you for the clarification. European football in the New Year would be a hell of a coup for us, not to mention a financial bounty, but could be detrimental to our chances of consolidating 3rd place. The Board would have to ensure we have the strength in depth, so the January window would be crucial.

And for the umpteenth time we can be just third or handsomely third.  We’ll still be third (but preferably with a decent UEFA cheque to bank alongside)

16 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I stand corrected, yes. 

Thank you for the clarification. European football in the New Year would be a hell of a coup for us, not to mention a financial bounty, but could be detrimental to our chances of consolidating 3rd place. The Board would have to ensure we have the strength in depth, so the January window will be crucial.

Let’s make sure we sort out the August one first 

9 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Yesterday's line up will not gain a single point in Europe. That is the harsh reality of our squad based on yesterday's performance.

There has to be some flair and creativity brought into that team as soon as possible.

I think we will improve and add a couple more.  One thing i will say though is for people moaning about the pitch , these horrible pitches are allowed in europe so there is a possibility we could play on them so very little excuses really

10 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Yesterday's line up will not gain a single point in Europe. That is the harsh reality of our squad based on yesterday's performance.

There has to be some flair and creativity brought into that team as soon as possible.

Will we play a team similar to Livingston, who's sole tactic is to kick folk off the pitch?

Will we be playing on a velcro surface?

Suspect we'll play better, much better, simply due to the quality of opposition.

11 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And for the umpteenth time we can be just third or handsomely third.  We’ll still be third (but preferably with a decent UEFA cheque to bank alongside)

Yes, by hook or by crook I'll take 3rd in the SPL again this season, but I don't think it's beyond our aspirations to aim to not only pull away from 5-12, but to significantly reduce the gap between 2nd and 3rd. 

11 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Let’s make sure we sort out the August one first 

Agreed, there is much work to be done, but if the 7 figure sum for the pikey is fully reinvested in the transfer budget, we should strengthen considerably.

10 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

Will we play a team similar to Livingston, who's sole tactic is to kick folk off the pitch?

Will we be playing on a velcro surface?

Suspect we'll play better, much better, simply due to the quality of opposition.

Really?, how do you figure that out?, “we will play better against better quality opponents”

like Preston?, nice grass, big pitch, let us play football and didn’t kick us up and down, what was that result?

teams like Vilnius, Mostar, Tiraspol are exactly like Livingston but with better quality, wouldn’t expect a free flowing passing game from any of them.

ps, Vilnius has a fucking train that goes through their pitch.

Just a reminder of who we can face in todays draw...

Priority 3

Winners match 1 FK Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU) vs BK Häcken (SWE)
Winners match 2 Qarabağ FK (AZE) vs HJK Helsinki (FIN)
Winners match 3 HŠK Zrinjski (BIH) vs Breidablik (ISL)
Winners match 4 FC Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA) vs FC BATE Borisov (BLR)
Winners match 5 FC Astana (KAZ) vs PFC Ludogorets 1945 (BUL)

Priority 4

FC Lugano (SUI)
Winners match 6 Olympiacos FC (GRE) vs KRC Genk (BEL)
Winners match 7 SK Slavia Praha (CZE) vs SC Dnipro-1 (UKR)

3 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Really?, how do you figure that out?, “we will play better against better quality opponents”

like Preston?, nice grass, big pitch, let us play football and didn’t kick us up and down, what was that result?

teams like Vilnius, Mostar, Tiraspol are exactly like Livingston but with better quality, wouldn’t expect a free flowing passing game from any of them.

ps, Vilnius has a fucking train that goes through their pitch.

Really? Care to share some pics as I cannae see that.

As far as the other statement about them being similar.... I couldn't disagree more. Did you see Zalgiris against Galatasaray? Was a pretty tight match for which the home tie in Lithuania ended 2-2 and they only lost 1-0 in Turkey.

Other than the first 15 mins where we failed to adapt to the speed and intensity, the Preston game was pretty even, with us having the better of the 2nd half. Obviously we blew Charlton away on a similar pitch. Not sure what your point is.