Next Manager

13 minutes ago, RUL said:

Cuckoo stuff. This will come down to money as usual in football. Assuming he’s a target he’s not been offered enough to force the issue or he thinks a better job may come available.

Pure guesswork on my part, but the stalling could be for a few reasons:

- we can’t agree compensation with Elfsborg.

- Or, he himself might be swithering, in the hope alternatives come in (ie Sunderland).

But either way, the optics aren’t good for AFC, given what has clearly been bullshit the fans were fed by the club a few weeks back.

If it becomes public soon that Thelin is not coming, then they’ll get some amount of criticism & add fuel to the already clear evidence they don’t have a fucking clue & are unfit for their roles.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Would it be a shock if Aberdeen are pissing about offering Elfsborg way less than the compensation trigger point? 

I hope they are trying to save the club money if possible, enough has been wasted already this season. 

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

- Or, he himself might be swithering, in the hope alternatives come in (ie Sunderland).

This looks most likely to me. Could work in our favour if we meet his increased demands(could also be disastrous 😅).

Disgusted with myself for contributing to this thread. 

• Haha 6
14 minutes ago, RUL said:

How else do contracts work? Thats why I said minimum expectation. If he has a release contract then you need to pay that fee. If he doesn’t then both he and Aberdeen can force the issue by paying out his contract. 

I don’t even believe we’re looking at him fully. But if we genuinely have been trying to sign him up all this dithering is a poor reflection on Aberdeen. 

I’m with you, mate. Starting to think this is just pish and attempted deflection to mask utter incompetence at AFC. 
To your point about contracts and buy out. I think that’s exactly how it works. AFC ask for permission to speak to the manager, you get it, you pay out the contract. Or, AFC ask for permission, don’t get it, but the manager tells his existing employers he wants AFC gig.  They’re under no obligation to let him go, but they’re not, realistically going to keep a manager that wants to be elsewhere. Therefore, AFC pay up the contract..

surely can’t be much more complicated than that?

doesn’t feel like AFC have asked the question..

12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Pure guesswork on my part, but the stalling could be for a few reasons:

- we can’t agree compensation with Elfsborg.

But either way, the optics aren’t good for AFC, given what has clearly been bullshit the fans were fed by the club a few weeks back.

If it becomes public soon that Thelin is not coming, then they’ll get some amount of criticism & add fuel to the already clear evidence they don’t have a fucking clue & are unfit for their roles.

I take comfort in the fact that Rasellik were even more fucked than us in their pursuit of Howe. The howls of anguish from the timmery when they appointed Postecoglou made us all chuckle. 

2 years later nobody was laughing. 

So even if we don't get our numero uno target, all is not lost. 

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, CCB III said:

If what you're saying is true, then he doesn't want to come. 

Managerial transfers are generally pretty straightforward so long as the manager wants to leave to elsewhere. 

Said 'no thanks' 3 weeks ago, if he had really changed his mind we'd have had a new manager by now, would love it if he does change his mind though.

13 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

This looks most likely to me. Could work in our favour if we meet his increased demands(could also be disastrous 😅).

Disgusted with myself for contributing to this thread. 

Always a welcome contribution though, thank you.

6 minutes ago, minijc said:

Said 'no thanks' 3 weeks ago, if he had really changed his mind we'd have had a new manager by now, would love it if he dies change his mind though.

Always a welcome contribution though, thank you.

Settle down, not even lost a game yet!

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

Said 'no thanks' 3 weeks ago, if he had really changed his mind we'd have had a new manager by now, would love it if he dies change his mind though.

That's why I don't get why we are back there again , stinks of "desperation" on our part.

11 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

I’m with you, mate. Starting to think this is just pish and attempted deflection to mask utter incompetence at AFC. 
To your point about contracts and buy out. I think that’s exactly how it works. AFC ask for permission to speak to the manager, you get it, you pay out the contract. Or, AFC ask for permission, don’t get it, but the manager tells his existing employers he wants AFC gig.  They’re under no obligation to let him go, but they’re not, realistically going to keep a manager that wants to be elsewhere. Therefore, AFC pay up the contract..

surely can’t be much more complicated than that?

doesn’t feel like AFC have asked the question..

It feels like its all smoke and mirrors from the dons. Nobody (that the board or fans would want) wants the job, they know they've messed up and are leaking stories that we're interested in Thelin to try to take some pressure off themselves. Reality is they're just digging themselves a bigger hole as when it comes out this week that he still isn't interested then the backlash they're going to get for still being at square one in the new manager hunt 2 and a half months after sacking Robson will be immense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Tord31 said:

11 days and counting since that Burrows update.

Are the club and/or Scott Burns still claiming we've not offered the job to anyone?

Not sure how long stringing that line out remains as any sort of positive.

Aye, a few people would have something different to say about that, unless of course the club have just sat down in a room with Alex Neil, Michael O'Neill and some others and asked if they like rowies?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Torry Tosser said:

🦊🐃🦝🐱🐺🐯🐩🐒🦮🐷🦄🐃🦓🦛🐭🦥🐹🐀🦙🦒🦛🐘🦒🦨🦅🐦🐥🐤🦕🦋🐌🐞🐙🦟🦋🐌🦋

Any of these could run the club better.

Nae sure about the diplodocus, min. Nae many of them kicking about union street these days.

The rest though..agreed 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

🦊🐃🦝🐱🐺🐯🐩🐒🦮🐷🦄🐃🦓🦛🐭🦥🐹🐀🦙🦒🦛🐘🦒🦨🦅🐦🐥🐤🦕🦋🐌🐞🐙🦟

Any of these could run the club better.

My money is on the octopus, they've got previous. Ladybird might struggle.

16 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

It feels like its all smoke and mirrors from the dons. Nobody (that the board or fans would want) wants the job, they know they've messed up and are leaking stories that we're interested in Thelin to try to take some pressure off themselves. Reality is they're just digging themselves a bigger hole as when it comes out this week that he still isn't interested then the backlash they're going to get for still being at square one in the new manager hunt 2 and a half months after sacking Robson will be immense.

Definitely seems that way. If Thelin told us to chase ourselves a few weeks ago as suggested, I’m not sure why he’d suddenly change his mind unless we’ve offered some nonsense salary. I did see Burns tweet “did he say no? Maybe it was about timing” in reply to something about Thelin but the longer this drags on the more it seems the club have leaked that “he’s still top of our list/on the radar” to take the pressure off a bit. 

They’ll be praying Leven continues picking up points so they can pretend they’re “taking their time for the right man” when in reality they’re probably sitting by their phone hoping someone changes their mind so they don’t have to give it to Lennon. They’re going to look like bigger morons than I ever thought possible if they don’t end up with Thelin or someone of similar pedigree after all this.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, minijc said:

Aye, a few people would have something different to say about that, unless of course the club have just sat down in a room with Alex Neil, Michael O'Neill and some others and asked if they like rowies?

Weve actually given ourselves more hassle with the claims of being so close to a new manager.

Leven's 7pts out of 9, running down 3 further games and County's poor form means the actual pressure is vastly less than it might have been.

1 hour ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

It's quite clear Thelin will be the next full time manager of Aberdeen FC. Only question is how soon he will arrive.

Until then it would be marvellous if this thread could be locked. 

Just leave it unlocked anyway then it's good to go again in 10 months when it's clear that Jimmys counter attacking football doesn't work against 80% of our opponents that sit in.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

Weve actually given ourselves more hassle with the claims of being so close to a new manager.

Leven's 7pts out of 9, running down 3 further games and County's poor form means the actual pressure is vastly less than it might have been.

It’s 7/12 for Leven. I missed sat but Dundee away and Ross county were both horrendous. It feels like at Motherwell we at least tried to play football which was encouraging but that’s gone out window. 

thing is Leven has been fortunate with fixtures. We had taken points off Motherwell, Ross county and livi already this year. Be impressed if we can finally beat Dundee sat…well actually that’s a lie as season is over league wise so I couldn’t give a fuck. 

if we don’t beat Celtic attendances will crash out

22 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

Nae sure about the diplodocus, min. Nae many of them kicking about union street these days.

The rest though..agreed 

Often see some and other assorted dinosaurs and cavemen when rangers are playing at Pittodrie.

Before some smart Alec pipes up, yes I'm well aware dinosaurs were extinct long before cavemen arrived but it's not intended to be a factual comment. Just some light hearted badinage to help pass away a rather wet Tuesday morning. 

1 minute ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

Often see some and other assorted dinosaurs and cavemen when rangers are playing at Pittodrie.

Before some smart Alec pipes up, yes I'm well aware dinosaurs were extinct long before cavemen arrived but it's not intended to be a factual comment. Just some light hearted badinage to help pass away a rather wet Tuesday morning. 

Rangers are extinct too, min 😉

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1