Next Manager

7 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

My main concern is the all the eggs appear to now be in the Thelin basket which for an average Swedish manager seems rather bizarre. 

I don't think they are, but they have waited and waited on someone that will more than likely say thanks but no thanks, once he decides I think it wouldn't be long till we appoint someone else. 

I'm just worried that the summer window goes a bit like this too, waiting on players that are at the top of what we can attract and spend all summer waiting to then be rejected and be rushing about again a week before deadline.

4 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

You see that's absolutely rubbish that "no cunt now wants to manage us". Money talks hence the shambolic Warnock appointment. 

There are plenty of managers who would still be interested or desperately want a club like AFC on their CV. Scottish football is shite I accept that but two seasons of getting us 3rd and back into European Football is enough for them to be noticed and move on if desired.

My main concern is the all the eggs appear to now be in the Thelin basket which for an average Swedish manager seems rather bizarre. 

Of course there are folk that would love to manage us.  I thought it was pretty obvious I meant no cunt of the calibre we want, wants to manage us.

Money talks another obvious trope - Mourinho would take a job with us if we offered enough money, but that would be stupidity as it would bankrupt us.  There needs to be a balance between how much we are willing to pay and the quality of the candidate.

The point was, without offering totally ridiculous sums of cash, it looks like the candidates we are after, don't want to manage us right now.

So the board in my opinion would be far better to wait and see if situations change by the summer, than to just appoint someone of a lesser standard now because it looks bad how long it's taking.

Your last point is valid though.  Is Thelin any good?  That's the bigger issue - the people actually deciding who is of the calibre we require.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

You see that's absolutely rubbish that "no cunt now wants to manage us". Money talks hence the shambolic Warnock appointment. 

There are plenty of managers who would still be interested or desperately want a club like AFC on their CV. Scottish football is shite I accept that but two seasons of getting us 3rd and back into European Football is enough for them to be noticed and move on if desired.

How is he average? 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, 20two20 said:

Who's to say what clauses are in his contract? Also Elfsborg don't HAVE to let him go if Aberdeen are offering to pay out his entire contract that's not exactly how contracts work.

It would be how contract works if it contains a release clause

11 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I don't think they are, but they have waited and waited on someone that will more than likely say thanks but no thanks, once he decides I think it wouldn't be long till we appoint someone else. 

I'm just worried that the summer window goes a bit like this too, waiting on players that are at the top of what we can attract and spend all summer waiting to then be rejected and be rushing about again a week before deadline.

That’s 100% what’s happened in past. Players at our top end of budget just sit and wait to see if a better offer comes in and more often than not it does. Wisniewski, Idzes and Teklic prime examples of this. 

Yesterday was so full of hope, Thelin was (allegedly) on his way - today we are back to the realisation that we are still floundering about with nae manager and nae sight of one on the horizon.

Feck me, this is desperate, need to appoint someone soon.

22 minutes ago, sigh said:

Yesterday was so full of hope, Thelin was (allegedly) on his way - today we are back to the realisation that we are still floundering about with nae manager and nae sight of one on the horizon.

Feck me, this is desperate, need to appoint someone soon.

🎵What's that coming over the hill, it's Jimmy Thelin! Jimmy Theliiin!

33 minutes ago, sigh said:

allegedly

This is doing a lot of heavy lifting with regards to the posts yesterday, a mainstandmoan knock-off kidding on Thelin was on a connecting flight to Aberdeen. 

Nobody on the forum seems to know anything at the moment, we’ll eventually find out if that’s because there’s been fuck all to tell or the club are running a tight ship. 

Just now, pittodriepie83 said:

This is doing a lot of heavy lifting with regards to the posts yesterday, a mainstandmoan knock-off kidding on Thelin was on a connecting flight to Aberdeen. 

Nobody on the forum seems to know anything at the moment, we’ll eventually find out if that’s because there’s been fuck all to tell or the club are running a tight ship. 

Or the club are running a shite tip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, pittodriepie83 said:

I have a feeling I know which one it'll end up being...

• Like 1
Just now, pittodriepie83 said:

Exactly this. Nobody knows anything currently.

If Thelin was even remotely close to happening, then there would be a concrete rumor doing the rounds and the press on the Scottish or Swedish side would have something.

I wouldn't call it pant pishing, but i find it absolutely mental how we have went from a statement prior to the international break saying we would appoint someone, to a statement mid break saying we were close, to a video of burrows saying we are very close.

Realistically though, i think the Board are so incompetent, that we haven't really got past an initial discussion stage with a potential new manager yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, RDS said:

Teklic is struggling out on loan in Turkey and Izdes recently chose to be an Indonesian international so maybe by more luck than judgement the 2 alleged idiots did us a favour

Dodged a bullet or not the point still stands that we couldn't secure 2 players that were generally considered main targets

2 minutes ago, Sheepskin_1903 said:

I wouldn't call it pant pishing, but i find it absolutely mental how we have went from a statement prior to the international break saying we would appoint someone, to a statement mid break saying we were close, to a video of burrows saying we are very close.

They set themselves up for a fall by putting a timescale on things. Even in Burrows’ interview, it’s beyond me why he said they were very close again. It’s now been two weeks, like he said “things change” and they have to react to that but fuck me, it was either total lies or there was a monumental collapse in negotiations at the last minute. Either way it isn’t a good look. 

Might not be giving them enough credit but it seems like Lennon is probably the only one who’s definitely interested & we’re hanging off hoping that Thelin/A N other changes their mind and takes it. 

1 minute ago, Sheepskin_1903 said:

Would this be the Derek Mcinnes rumors that Steve Tosh told some pundits at the weekend? It's pish if that.

🙈If it is him. 🦍🦧🐅🐆🦣🐘🦏🦒🦛🐊🐂  This will be his team after being back in  India’s Jungle.(  🧔🏻♀️. ) Deek. 

12 minutes ago, Sheepskin_1903 said:

Would this be the Derek Mcinnes rumors that Steve Tosh told some pundits at the weekend? It's pish if that.

It's nae him that Im thinking of min. The manager I'm thinking who may end up being appointed to the role of AFC boss is someone currently plying his trade in Scotland.

I've just picked up on some things when he has been getting interviewed lately. He isn't as enthusiastic or vocal as he once was earlier on this season. 

His last interview was completely devoid of any passion for his current club.

5 minutes ago, pittodriepie83 said:

They set themselves up for a fall by putting a timescale on things. Even in Burrows’ interview, it’s beyond me why he said they were very close again. It’s now been two weeks, like he said “things change” and they have to react to that but fuck me, it was either total lies or there was a monumental collapse in negotiations at the last minute. Either way it isn’t a good look. 

Might not be giving them enough credit but it seems like Lennon is probably the only one who’s definitely interested & we’re hanging off hoping that Thelin/A N other changes their mind and takes it. 

They probably thought they were very close to O’Neill then he told them to do one and they’re right back at square one. Only certainty this week is that Leven will still be in charge on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It's nae him that Im thinking of min. The manager I'm thinking who may end up being appointed to the role of AFC boss is someone currently plying his trade in Scotland.

I've just picked up on some things when he has been getting interviewed lately. He isn't as enthusiastic or vocal as he once was earlier on thus season. 

His last interview was completely devoid of any passion for his current club.

Squeaky Martindale? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

They probably thought they were very close to O’Neill then he told them to do one and they’re right back at square one. Only certainty this week is that Leven will still be in charge on Saturday.

I find it curious how there was very little concrete evidence to back up the O'Neill stuff. I don't disagree that we were in for him, but i don't believe we were at an advanced stage at any point. Again, if we were, The Scottish and N Irish press would have picked up on it.

Not to mention, even though it's international level, contracts are drawn up to prevent meetings of this nature taking place without prior approval. That's usually the stage things get leaked at.

Again, i think we approached, The N Irish FA and O'Neill considered things, they had an internal discussion on their end and ultimately said no.