Next Manager

So what's the criteria. We want someone with experience and tactical awareness to cope with potentially the demands of both domestic and  european football who is not in awe of Celtic and Rangers and preferably hasn't played for them in the past. 

My preference would be an up coming manager coupled with an experienced number two. I wouldn't be looking South of the border as most ex prem players with european experience are probably a bit up their own arse coupled with wanting big money.

Think with our recent reasonably successful player finds in  Scandinavia eastern europe and further afield we could do alot worse then look for an experienced ex international who retired say 5-10 years ago and has been cutting his teeth so to speak managing in a league of similar stature to our own.

I haven't got a name but i'm pretty sure the process we've recently been using to find the likes of Rama, Mio, Duk etc could be tweaked to look for our next "keen as mustard" manager.

What do you guys think ?

Maybe Agnew and Craig Samson are the problem?

People say want a young manager who had a good career and has experience coaching. We've got that in Robson.

But he's surrounded by a guy who was part of a massive failure at Newcastle, and a goalkeeper coach who is way too involved in the dugout. Even Jim Goodwin is fairing better without him.

• Haha 1

Down here there are plenty of good young but progressive managers such as Steven Schumacher at my local club Plymouth.  I know we are in the championship so would be unlikely to jump ship for the SPFL but... my point is when the time comes in the future we should be looking at managers who have done well (all relative of coarse) either in england or from abroad.  There is no way a club like Aberdeen should be just going for standard merry go round Scottish managers.  

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Cambridge Red said:

So what's the criteria. We want someone with experience and tactical awareness to cope with potentially the demands of both domestic and  european football who is not in awe of Celtic and Rangers and preferably hasn't played for them in the past. 

My preference would be an up coming manager coupled with an experienced number two. I wouldn't be looking South of the border as most ex prem players with european experience are probably a bit up their own arse coupled with wanting big money.

Think with our recent reasonably successful player finds in  Scandinavia eastern europe and further afield we could do alot worse then look for an experienced ex international who retired say 5-10 years ago and has been cutting his teeth so to speak managing in a league of similar stature to our own.

I haven't got a name but i'm pretty sure the process we've recently been using to find the likes of Rama, Mio, Duk etc could be tweaked to look for our next "keen as mustard" manager.

What do you guys think ?

I think if it was that easy, Robson wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

I think if it was that easy, Robson wouldn't have got the job in the first place.

I guess it depends on whether our overseas scouts have been tasked at any point to look out for a potential new manager.

Just think it might be worth exploring some possible untapped talent like we have been lately with the players. Because we both know any decent prospect here will probably be unaffordable or nabbed by a competitor.

10 hours ago, The Gee Man said:

Can I ask why you still wouldn’t make a change then?

Because l still believe Robson and the squad the club have assembled need time to gel. Some of the names being suggested as possible replacements are just laughable. I think group stage football in Europe has come one year too early. The club has gone from having  numerous loan signings to a club that has invested in full time contracts to players.The players will take time to adapt.Sadly there are people who just want Robson out. Numerous posts have been put on this forum claiming the club would struggle to sell tickets for the final. That has been proved totally wrong. I do believe the silent majority still back Robson , the squad and the club.

• Thanks 2
  • Dildo 1
15 hours ago, The Gee Man said:

Think we all know Robson is going nowhere until bottom six looks inevitable 

Looks pretty inevitable to me.

14 hours ago, G man said:

We won at Ibrox only a few weeks ago

So. In the grand scheme of things that means nothing when you don't back it up with positive results afterwards. The mark of a good team builds on that. We didn't.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, G man said:

Because l still believe Robson and the squad the club have assembled need time to gel. Some of the names being suggested as possible replacements are just laughable. I think group stage football in Europe has come one year too early. The club has gone from having  numerous loan signings to a club that has invested in full time contracts to players.The players will take time to adapt.Sadly there are people who just want Robson out. Numerous posts have been put on this forum claiming the club would struggle to sell tickets for the final. That has been proved totally wrong. I do believe the silent majority still back Robson , the squad and the club.

I don't think the squad should need this much time to gel, although the point that Europe has come a bit too early is possibly a fair one.

We do have 4 or 5 senior players that have barely featured at all - understandable in the case of McGarry but strange for the rest.

4 hours ago, G man said:

G man you  are in my view the top poster on this site.You keep a constant viewpoint and never retaliate whatever the provocation and always keeping a civil tone.Well done sir.

• Haha 1
  • Dildo 1
5 hours ago, G man said:

I believe you are wrong. 

This team might have won at Ibrox but beating a Beale Huns team shouldn't really be a marker as they were fucking rotten. That day we played well but it's by far the exception rather than the norm. 

In the games we actually try and play football we do well and get results (PAOK at pittodrie aside). Surely you must ask yourself why we resort to hoofing the fucker at every opportunity every other game when it plainly doesn't work? That's on Robson. He sets the players up this way. The performance on Sunday was an absolute disgrace. That alone should be a sackable offence. 

I was on Superscoreboard on Monday night and they asked me about the performance on Sunday and Roger Hannah said to me that he doesn't think Robson will set up that way again. Not sure what makes him think he'll ditch a system he's used all season and signed players to fit that system also.

I respect you don't want to continue sacking managers. I think a lot of fans would rather we had stability. Nobody wants to turn into a club that continually sacks managers. But, when we continually hire the wrong people unfortunately it's inevitable. 

• Upvote 2

Not going to defend losing 6 0 but winning at Motherwell beating Hibs and getting to a cup final then going to Greece and back and getting a very good draw then losing away to Celtic doesn't seem just that horrendous.As for Sevco well they had won their previous 4 games including beating Real Betis before we beat them but yes they do seem better now.

5 hours ago, G man said:

😂😂😂

Stop it ffs

1 hour ago, Dandyesque said:

I don't think the squad should need this much time to gel, although the point that Europe has come a bit too early is possibly a fair one.

We do have 4 or 5 senior players that have barely featured at all - understandable in the case of McGarry but strange for the rest.

Would accept your point about lack of game time for certain players.

6 minutes ago, G man said:

Would accept your point about lack of game time for certain players.

It’s definitely a part of the reason Robson has thrown away a great opportunity! To actually be given finances to build a squad to cope with Thursday/Sunday and not bother. It’s the main question followed by tactics that need answered 

1 hour ago, ERNIE said:

G man you  are in my view the top poster on this site.You keep a constant viewpoint and never retaliate whatever the provocation and always keeping a civil tone.Well done sir.

Thank you Ernie. I do find it strange and disappointing that certain people seem to think their viewpoint is the only one that people should have and anyone that doesn’t follow that view can then be personally insulted. We are all Dons fans but many hold differing views that is a healthy thing. 
Amazing that people who claimed we would struggle to sell our cup final allocation have now gone very quiet on this forum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Dildo 1
54 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Was it his 25% win ratio at Motherwell made you want him?

Was that the Motherwell team in deep financial shit, and he had fuck all to spend ? 

Or was it the black that took Coventry to the brink of play offs, playing attacking open football, the fans were disgusted when he was unfairly sacked, the first game after they all turned up dressed in black in support of him ,

I will let you decide