Aberdeen 1 - 1 HJK Helsinki

Robson struggling to find the balance in winnable European games. Against Hacken we were too gung-ho. While we created lots of chances, we gave up way too many and ended up going out. 

Last night we gave up very little but really struggled to create much until we went 0-1 and the handbrake came off a bit. Quite frustrating as it was a very winnable game. 

This long throw nonsense needs to go also. It's really starting to grate. 

18 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

For what it's worth I thought Helsinki defended really well and were hard to break down. It's not always about how we play, there's another team there too. 

We can beat them over there though.

Imagine PAOK will be a different level.

Results would suggest that, but I watched them at tynecastle and they really weren't all that good. They were there to be got at.

I thought the red shed got the balance of songs wrong last night - singing too much of their own Ultras songs that the vast majority don't know, and not enough of the standard Dons songs that the whole crowd will join in with.  Don't get me wrong I still think the red shed is a positive overall bit just felt they could've done more to get the whole stadium going last night.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

I thought it was a poor performance and mostly shite atmosphere. If you take away red shed most of crowd acted as if it was another meaningless game v Livingston. Silence and offered no backing. No wonder team was flat as fuck.

The highlight was Miovski. Absolutely outstanding yet again. Going to be devastating when Cormack flogs him in January.

I don't think you can blame the crowd when the team is playing slow a fuck boring football. It's up to the team to provide the spark that gets the crowd going. It's unfortunate that our two most skillful players Clarkson/Duk having been fucking rotten all season so far. 

The lack of excitement and goalmouth action in the first half didn't help the atmosphere but to be honest it was poor right from the off.  Thought it was strange that the announcer didn't do the usual big 'Come on ye Reds!' at kick off - was just silence which set the tone for the night.  I know there was the minutes applause before that but they normally still do it in previous matches after that.

19 minutes ago, DandyWarhol said:

I thought the red shed got the balance of songs wrong last night - singing too much of their own Ultras songs that the vast majority don't know, and not enough of the standard Dons songs that the whole crowd will join in with.  Don't get me wrong I still think the red shed is a positive overall bit just felt they could've done more to get the whole stadium going last night.

It’s difficult as you can’t keep singing stand free over and over again and folk in other stands aren’t interested to in new songs.

12 minutes ago, bonzodaddy73 said:

I don't think you can blame the crowd when the team is playing slow a fuck boring football. It's up to the team to provide the spark that gets the crowd going. It's unfortunate that our two most skillful players Clarkson/Duk having been fucking rotten all season so far. 

Is it always up to team? Frankfurt weren’t exactly a thrill a minute v us but their fans backed the team. A European night and winnable game but the fans couldn’t be arsed

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I swear some of you just support Aberdeen with the sole purpose of being fucking miserable 

Some on here must’ve been raging on Saturday when we won 3-1 at Ibrox and couldn’t piss and moan like toddlers

Last night wasn’t great but even with a win it was going to be tough ask to qualify from this group

New squad who seem to be gelling a bit better 

Move onto Sunday which is much more important, I’ll happily join in on the moaning if we don’t win that one 

The best way to view these European groups is to see it as a test against good calibre opponents. 

Just need to make sure we're back there next season a bit more street wise and savvy. 

Unbeaten in 4, in a cup semi.

• Upvote 5
Just now, RUL said:

Is it always up to team? Frankfurt weren’t exactly a thrill a minute v us but their fans backed the team. A European night and winnable game but the fans couldn’t be arsed

It's not always up to the team but huge stoppages in play and our slow, pensive approach in the first 60 mins made it very difficult. 

No use when the ground is full of scarfers who da ken the words to the European Song 😂 

Far too cautious. Too many spaces between defence and midfield which meant we opted to go long and couldn't string passes together.

Too many of our key players not performing either. Duk and Clarkson in particular were disappointing, as they have been for most of the season so far. 

That was the most winnable game of the group and we were far too cagey, gave them time to settle and didn't get at them anywhere near enough. Yet had we taken a few chances or been helped by the referee it could've been comfortable. 

I do agree with the sentiments that we seem to play better in games we are considerable underdogs. That mentality needs to change and we need to be prepared to dominate teams (in a far more controlled manner than last night) as favourites.

13 minutes ago, CCB III said:

The best way to view these European groups is to see it as a test against good calibre opponents. 

Just need to make sure we're back there next season a bit more street wise and savvy. 

Unbeaten in 4, in a cup semi.

100% this

Next season should we make into europe it will largely with the same group give or take 2 or 3. This season is a test run as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, bonzodaddy73 said:

100% this

Next season should we make into europe it will largely with the same group give or take 2 or 3. This season is a test run as far as I'm concerned.

No guarantee we will be back in the group stages anytime soon though. Could be another 16 years for all we know. Especially with the coefficient going off a cliff. Can’t be long till the automatic place for third/cup win is gone? 

HJK reminded me of how we played against Frankfurt. Smash and grab type approach without committing players forward apart from their 10 minute cameo in the second half. 

If they play a bit more expansive at home against us I think we have it in us to beat them. We need a result against PAOK or Frankfurt at home for any hope. We have it in us to produce a result if the stars align. 

Just now, slippers said:

No guarantee we will be back in the group stages anytime soon though. Could be another 16 years for all we know. Especially with the coefficient going off a cliff. Can’t be long till the automatic place for third/cup win is gone? 

I'm sure i read somewhere that Scotland still has the group stage qualification for 3rd/ Scottish Cup for next season but after that its looking unlikely. Back to multiple qualifying rounds.

3 minutes ago, slippers said:

True but if we can avoid wholesale squad changes, which it's looking like we will there is no reason this team can't become successful. I think the club knows this isn't a quick fix but a long term project. 

It was a poor standard of game between two pretty poor teams if we are being honest. 

Neither side will take anything off PAOK or Frankfurt.

We didn’t pass the ball quick enough. 
We seemed to square pass in a horseshoe shape from right to left & back again in the back 3, with invariably a hopeful punt forward.

Robson is far too reactive when things aren’t going well, or clearly not working. 
It was crying out for a change of formation. 
The first 15-20 minutes of the second half was woeful.

Poor performance & disappointing result. 

The amount of times our full backs opted to pass backwards when there were spaces to run forward and draw the opposition out was frustrating. When our midfield dropped back and found space for the pass, it opened up attacks. This pishy pashy passing along the back line, then to keeper who finally punts it, grates the hell out of me. Anyhow, better a draw than a defeat. 

8 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

We were pish poor last night. Awful to watch.

Yeah disapoiting.Thought Ruby might have been better at closing down the cross for their goal.Thought it should have been a red for the elbow on Duk.And of course the Duk 1on 1...could sill have beenba win..ah well lets beat stj..

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Dynamo said:

For what it's worth I thought Helsinki defended really well and were hard to break down. It's not always about how we play, there's another team there too. 

We can beat them over there though.

Imagine PAOK will be a different level.

Agree with this. They are the Finnish champions so don't lose many games and were always going to be hard to break down. There is no disgrace in drawing that game although our performance could have been a lot better.

PAOK will be far too strong for us sadly.

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It was a poor standard of game between two pretty poor teams if we are being honest. 

Neither side will take anything of PAOK or Frankfurt.

We didn’t pass the ball quick enough. 
We seemed to square pass in a horseshoe shape from right to left & back again in the back 3, with invariably a hopeful punt forward.

Robson is far too reactive when things aren’t going well, or clearly not working. 
It was crying out for a change of formation. 
The first 15-20 minutes of the second half was woeful.

Poor performance & disappointing result. 

Reasonable possibility that this could be our only point from this group. Hope thats not the case but was definitely our most winnable tie.

52 minutes ago, Samac92 said:

Some amount of mannies losing their shit over the flags in the red shed last night "pit at fucking flag dooooon min"

Sums up the majority of the home support.  

If it wasn’t for the Red shed, Pittodrie would be like a morgue.

3 stands that sit like dummies.  
The only time anyone makes a noise is when an opposition player steals yards at a throw in 😆