Cormack Thread

Can see why UEFA want to do this. They can see huge financial gains in it for themselves & the top clubs. 
Logistics of Euro leagues is fk all either to worry about.

Look at MLS for example & the distances traveled in a season by the clubs & finances generated. 
Not much difference in travelling all over US compared to all over Europe really. Other than a few countries with tighter visa rules.

Football has been fkd for decades. Only getting worse for us wee teams anyway

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’ll be 3 leagues of 20? 

Any teams ranked below 60 will have to qualify so the likes of us will have to go through qualification rounds just to get to League 3.

And we can’t get higher I don’t think, because we’ll never be a top 60 ranked team. 

There’s only relegation/promotion in to or out of league 3?

I could be talking keech though 😄

I fucking hate what modern day football has become. 

Top 2 leagues of 16, third of 32 teams. 2 up 2 down from the top 2 leagues, and 20 'down' from the bottom league.

I remember from last time this came about that the Germans had a rule that clubs couldn't join anything like this, or they'd be removed from their league structure. Sounds good.

Obviously it's a terrible idea, but if the checks could be persuaded to join and be removed from the Scottish leagues, it would have my full backing.

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’ll be 3 leagues of 20? 

Any teams ranked below 60 will have to qualify so the likes of us will have to go through qualification rounds just to get to League 3.

And we can’t get higher I don’t think, because we’ll never be a top 60 ranked team. 

There’s only relegation/promotion in to or out of league 3?

I could be talking keech though 😄

I fucking hate what modern day football has become. 

No its a top league (star) of 16, second league (gold) of 16 and third league (blue) of 32. All three leagues split into mini leagues of 8 that play each other home and away so 14 league games. Top 4 in star and gold mini leagues and top 2 in blue mini leagues qualify for quarter finals then knock out competition to find out winners of the three leagues.

Bottom team from each star/gold mini league relegated and replaced with finalists from gold/blue knockout competition. 20 out of 32 teams in blue league relegated and replaced with teams from national leagues (but no info on how they are replaced - no doubt with suitably rich clubs from big tv markets).

No info either on how the initial star/gold/blue participants are chosen but answers on the back of a 500 Euro note are acceptable.

28 minutes ago, Sheepskin_1903 said:

Frustrates me when he comes out with this, considering the man who voted against changes in 2013 (Mr Wiggy) is on the FMB, yet he voted against changes to league proposals and the voting structure from 11-1 to 9-3.

Not convinced changing the voting structure to 9-3 will have a huge effect on Barca chasing Saudi cash, but willing to be corrected.

1 minute ago, Don Shula said:

No its a top league (star) of 16, second league (gold) of 16 and third league (blue) of 32. All three leagues split into mini leagues of 8 that play each other home and away so 14 league games. Top 4 in star and gold mini leagues and top 2 in blue mini leagues qualify for quarter finals then knock out competition to find out winners of the three leagues.

Bottom team from each star/gold mini league relegated and replaced with finalists from gold/blue knockout competition. 20 out of 32 teams in blue league relegated and replaced with teams from national leagues (but no info on how they are replaced - no doubt with suitably rich clubs from big tv markets).

No info either on how the initial star/gold/blue participants are chosen but answers on the back of a 500 Euro note are acceptable.

Sounds fucking horrendous.

Fuck UEFA 

5 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Can see why UEFA want to do this. They can see huge financial gains in it for themselves & the top clubs. 

Look at MLS for example & the distances traveled in a season by the clubs & finances generated. 
Not much difference in travelling all over US compared to all over Europe really. Other than a few countries with tighter visa rules.

Not for wee teams with lots of money though like Chelsea/Man City/RB Salzburg/RB Leipzig etc.

6 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

It's not UEFA behind it, it's some mob called A22 (no doubt funded by petro dollars from somewhere)

2 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Is the plan really for this super league to replace the champions league / europa league?

Will peasants like us still get the conference league (or a new competition in it's place) to aim for?

I read somewhere it was a replacement for the champions league. Purpose of it is that it will benefit teams that are highly ranked with guaranteed European football and money. 

8 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Is the plan really for this super league to replace the champions league / europa league?

Will peasants like us still get the conference league (or a new competition in it's place) to aim for?

Well if the so called top clubs F off to new super league uefa can run traditional cup competitions for the rest of us left! We could play in the new Uefa Cup, New Cup Winners Cup etc etc

Not convinced this will actually fly. The big clubs in England still seem committed to playing in UEFA champions league etc. 

Maybe I’m being naive here but if the fans kicked up a stink last time out and stopped their clubs from participating in this shit, then why wouldn’t they do it again? The fans are getting taken for second class citizens again as they will be the folk forking out hunners for tickets.

Having read a bit more about it, all today seems to clear is that the legislation to block this new Euro league the last time out, has been proven unlawful. Who to say there won’t be another counter lawsuit? 

It does make me sick though, at all this no doubt Saudi money potentially poring into the beautiful game, and all it does it widen the gap between the richer teams and the rest of us.

Conservative policies.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Not convinced this will actually fly. The big clubs in England still seem committed to playing in UEFA champions league etc. 

Maybe I’m being naive here but if the fans kicked up a stink last time out and stopped their clubs from participating in this shit, then why wouldn’t they do it again? The fans are getting taken for second class citizens again as they will be the folk forking out hunners for tickets.

Having read a bit more about it, all today seems to clear is that the legislation to block this new Euro league the last time out, has been proven unlawful. Who to say there won’t be another counter lawsuit? 

It does make me sick though, at all this no doubt Saudi money potentially poring into the beautiful game, and all it does it widen the gap between the richer teams and the rest of us.

Conservative policies.

if it goes the way i think it will go, then the Saudis will get involved like they have with golf, boxing and funding their league. If that happens, then it's tatties over the side unfortunately. Money talks, especially the money they can bring to the table. It's also an open door entry for some of the saudi teams, as opposed to being waived in by Uefa.

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

No.

I think it just means they’re guaranteed 14 games in Europe midweek, so they’ll carry on domestically.

Fuck knows when they’ll play all these extra matches with those shitey international breaks to fit in too.

There will be 19 "matchdays" with this new thing, which is the same as for current UEFA competitions so will swap one for another, just means the elite get to play a minimum of 14 matches compared with six currently (eight from next year) so more guaranteed Saudi Riyals for all teams that play in it ( not to mention a bunch more income from extra home games) compared with current competitions

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

So these top 60 clubs will leave the domestic leagues they are currently playing in?

No and that's the key part (assuming you, like me, completely ignore the possibility of Aberdeen getting into the 60 by right or qualification).

At the moment they envisage a continuation of the european competitions alongside domestic trophies.  Think of it like our league cup where the diddies were fannying about from July but Hunco (as it turned out, thanks again Barry) turned up at three matches and lifted the silverware.

Eventually yes they will form a super league without the domestic safety net, but they envisage only doing that when THEY decide its not needed. 

Doesn't matter what UEFA want. They key play here will be the Saudi money. They'll effectively run global football in a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they fully fund the ESL and then link up with some other FIFA groups in South America and Saudi Arabia themselves. Some super duper global league with semi finals and finals played in cities that don't have clubs.

• Upvote 1