The Golf Thread

Likewise this winter, only had one lesson in my life before now, but total rebuild, can't get past 5, and keep bouncing back up to 6. Time had come to give it one last major push before old age starts to eat inexorably into my game.

this winter i started lessons again.

i have went through massive changes - starting to get there now though.. hopefully will pay off in the new season!

Likewise this winter, only had one lesson in my life before now, but total rebuild, can't get past 5, and keep bouncing back up to 6. Time had come to give it one last major push before old age starts to eat inexorably into my game.

I tried going down the complete remodelling route a few years ago, as I know I have a strong grip which means I snap hook on occasion, but I'm too old, and can't devote the time, to try and remodel again, so just going to stick with what I have but with a few minor alterations.

Just come back from hitting balls at Aspire and even though it's baltic, and winter golf and me don't normally go, I really enjoyed it and am going to give it a right go again this season and try and get back to Category 1. If I can keep my swing nice and slow, even if it means taking a club more and hitting it softer, then I'm sure I can get my handicap back down from 7.6 to nearer 5.

Going to putt cack handed as well this season, in an effort to get more consistency.

I tried going down the complete remodelling route a few years ago, as I know I have a strong grip which means I snap hook on occasion, but I'm too old, and can't devote the time, to try and remodel again, so just going to stick with what I have but with a few minor alterations.

Just come back from hitting balls at Aspire and even though it's baltic, and winter golf and me don't normally go, I really enjoyed it and am going to give it a right go again this season and try and get back to Category 1. If I can keep my swing nice and slow, even if it means taking a club more and hitting it softer, then I'm sure I can get my handicap back down from 7.6 to nearer 5.

Going to putt cack handed as well this season, in an effort to get more consistency.

I think once you have the swing to a reasonable level results are magnified by a good short game, which is just pure practise. A couple of seasons ago when I had a beast going from 17 to 6, my putting was like 40 a round in March to 24 at my best in September and that was just cus I was a 16 year old with tons of hours to spend on the course, swing didn't change much, was still a Gorilla on cocaine but now I'm only a few years older, and probably going to have the same amount of time again while I have part time jobs in between looking to restart my uni career.

However, my handicap is lapsed. Anyone here know after you put another 3 signed handicap cards in with a member, whether they will just stick you back on your old handicap when you lapsed, or if you will get a new handicap based on those cards?

I think once you have the swing to a reasonable level results are magnified by a good short game, which is just pure practise. A couple of seasons ago when I had a beast going from 17 to 6, my putting was like 40 a round in March to 24 at my best in September and that was just cus I was a 16 year old with tons of hours to spend on the course, swing didn't change much, was still a Gorilla on cocaine but now I'm only a few years older, and probably going to have the same amount of time again while I have part time jobs in between looking to restart my uni career.

However, my handicap is lapsed. Anyone here know after you put another 3 signed handicap cards in with a member, whether they will just stick you back on your old handicap when you lapsed, or if you will get a new handicap based on those cards?

Agree totally about the short game, getting it up and down is where the difference is, much more than making major swing changes.

Regarding lapsed handicaps, I think it's a bit of both. I don't think your new h/cap can be more than 1.0 more than your old h/cap, and obviously based on the 3 cards you put in. I'd email the Scottish Golf Union, they'll sort you out. I was worried about losing my h'cap a few years back when I injured my shoulder in springtime and didn't think I'd be able to return any cards, and asked them what the script was, and they were really helpfull, although in the end I was back playing by the summer.

Agree totally about the short game, getting it up and down is where the difference is, much more than making major swing changes.

Regarding lapsed handicaps, I think it's a bit of both. I don't think your new h/cap can be more than 1.0 more than your old h/cap, and obviously based on the 3 cards you put in. I'd email the Scottish Golf Union, they'll sort you out. I was worried about losing my h'cap a few years back when I injured my shoulder in springtime and didn't think I'd be able to return any cards, and asked them what the script was, and they were really helpfull, although in the end I was back playing by the summer.

I'm H'cap sec at Royal Dunecht S_S, and the 3 cards wil simply re-activate the handicap with those three cards adjusted, unless there's been a siginificant time elapsed, or some medical reason or other that could cause the handicap to change.

And Dandie, speak to your club H'cap sec, not the SGU. :thumbup1:

Got word today that Huntly is closing its doors. Anyone know if that's true? :(

Christ that would be a shame if true.

Memories up that way, playing school team championships, 12 handicap at the time and the other boys in my school team were like 6 + 8 handicaps at Turra. As a younger loon I used to get nervous as hell at golf, what with my lesser life experiences and the fact that I considered golf my life and it wasn't as if I played at the likes of Cruden or Newburgh, I'm at Longside where you can be wild and (bogey) free. Huntly was no exception to the nerves....

Hoo-mi-nivir nailed them on scratch. 5 over par. Great memories. Loved the wee par 3 alongside the ruins.

Got word today that Huntly is closing its doors. Anyone know if that's true? :(

Shame if that is true. Mind you, Huntly itself is a depressed place these days, loads of businesses, pubs and hotels have shut lately.

Always enjoyed a chap round Huntly. But must only be a matter of time before clubs close. From not enough courses about 20 years ago, we now have far too many.

• 2 weeks later...

Callaway Razr XTour Irons and RazR Fit 5 wood on order and hopefully pick up new Razr Fit driver tomorrow. Try it out as it's some club

Aye it is a weapon. Just ordered the i20 irons which are the best irons I've ever hit, plus the 3 wood and a new odyssey Rossie putter. That'll do this year, tho the razr fit driver will be calling, maybe if I can win some vouchers :sheepdance:

• 3 weeks later...

Alford and Craibstone.

You still at Dunecht?

dunecht is where i learned to hack. the sheep used to wander about, and the leccy fence kept them off the green. the par 3 at the far corner, 7 i think was like pine valley.

i mind cowdray's son would take his helicopter for a spin! my first golf bag was a fertilizer bag held thegither by tow.

dunecht is where i learned to hack. the sheep used to wander about, and the leccy fence kept them off the green. the par 3 at the far corner, 7 i think was like pine valley.

i mind cowdray's son would take his helicopter for a spin! my first golf bag was a fertilizer bag held thegither by tow.

You'd probably be astonished at the difference in condition of the place nowadays, 'blister erse' long since been replaced as greenkeeper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...