The Golf Thread

I don't get the poor coverage bit either, thought coverage was excellent and ballanced, hardly saw ROray at all in fact, just a few of his putts and that was it. Donald only when he started making a late charge.

Maybe it was cos when Lawrie and Quiroz were coming down the 16th both on -16, they asked David Howell in the studio for his predicted winner, and he said "Maybe Quiroz, maybe Hanson, maybe even Luke Donald". FFS, how about the other boy tied with the lead?

Wouldn't beat yourself up too much about that putt on 17, Paul. Howard Clark reckoned it was just outside right lip which is where you put it, but it broke right!

• 2 weeks later...

Any expensive golf gifts fae sunty?

Got a new golfing mat for my field oot the back/ improv. practice range.

Need advice on this one. I'm off 6, but I came down from 17 in my first season just through pure hard work, playing every day and getting an awesome short game. The season after, I'm Mr. fucking ambitious, still playing every day, thinking, "right, this is the year for the club championship, before I leave for uni" But i was just too wild, couldn't break 2 over, my swing is not fundamentally sound, but I'm a scrambler so I'm making lots of putts for par and not having many for birdie. So as you can imagine when I went away from Longside to likes of Newburgh in club matches, I was rank and my wild swing was getting the ball everywhere in the wind. Murray Carnie, my ex-PE teacher once coined my swing like an Orangutang on Cocaine, before I dialed it back. Paul has probably heard some more cracking similes from this man along these lines as time goes on :laughing:

After a couple of years at uni not playing, coming back home, my game isn't too bad, still a 6 I would say, bit more consistent outside the comfort of the short game, but I'm thinking of getting lessons to really try and move my game to the next level. I'm willing to stick in the hard work, love grafting my golf game, if I was a rash man, I would quit looking at any further education and just play golf all day.

But I'm just fed up of feeling like I'm going to have to hit a provisional off every tee on windy days on tougher courses.

Think that continious lessons are the best route to go down?

Think that continious lessons are the best route to go down?

Not necessarily. I've just started going to see Alan Stewart down at Aspire, having had one lesson in my life, an even that was just under two years ago, and a quick fix for some dodgy approach play that had crept into my game; I'm now in the midst of a total rebuild, but despite that, and a lot of changes being put in place, after just two I am much more consistent and striking the ball beautifullt with my irons, where I have always bee weak. I have admittedly hit the best part of 500 balls on the range, but if that's what it takes, then so be it.

I'm going for lesson 3 in the new year, and we'll see where that takes me, but don't envisage too many more thereafter.

You're a young lad, go for it now before all those faults are too hard to change.

• 4 weeks later...

got a chance to try the new TM range today, the Rocketballz 3 wood is as awesome as they are claiming, everyone hitting their existing kit and then tryin the RBZ got some decent gains.

On the other hand, Wilson have released a new Fybrid 3 wood with a shaft in Dons colours, so paullawrie, fit ye think? :laughing:

The TM range is good as it increases your distance and really worth getting especially if you happen to play at a course near some of those lovely wind turbines. I think the Trump course is getting them which will be great.

They not only look pretty but really improve your game. Line up your shots and see if you can even hit the ball through the blades just like a game of Crazy Golf.

Magic.

He answered ages ago you grumpy cunt. :gay:

Robert Rocks performance was brilliant though.

He held his nerve playing with Tiger where many would crumble.

Spot on about Rock, brilliant win in that field. Thought Tiger was on his way back before today but he was pretty poor today so im not sure. 5 greens in reg sums it up for him and im not sure he hit much fairways either. In saying that, a lot of other players would have shot 78 playing like that so some positives for him.

Played good this week but to many putts, Good thing is I'm pissed off with finishing 8th

Aye good stuff Paul, you're defo playing solid. Hated the finish though, I had a couple of bob on you at 125/1 before the start, though I suppose it might have been a bit worse for you :ThumbsDown:

What do you attribute the recent upturn of form to?

Aye good stuff Paul, you're defo playing solid. Hated the finish though, I had a couple of bob on you at 125/1 before the start, though I suppose it might have been a bit worse for you :ThumbsDown:

What do you attribute the recent upturn of form to?

I have been putting a bit better (until back nine yesterday) and have been working on some swing stuff for a while that's now kicking in . Also hitting it longer which helps . Bogey at 16 was awful pitch shot (unlike me) and 17 was an awful lie in rough so pretty unlucky but deserved at least top3 so lots of positives

Paul.

I have been putting a bit better (until back nine yesterday) and have been working on some swing stuff for a while that's now kicking in . Also hitting it longer which helps . Bogey at 16 was awful pitch shot (unlike me) and 17 was an awful lie in rough so pretty unlucky but deserved at least top3 so lots of positives

Paul.

Noticed that. Was very evident when you were head to head against Quiros last time you contended, commentators drooling at one of Quiros' bombs (was about the 15th in last round), then you spanked one past him on the fly. They didn't say much to that :applause:

6th on Ryder Cup list too - come on Kemnay Loon!

edit: what is the long driving attributed to?

Noticed that. Was very evident when you were head to head against Quiros last time you contended, commentators drooling at one of Quiros' bombs (was about the 15th in last round), then you spanked one past him on the fly. They didn't say much to that :applause:

6th on Ryder Cup list too - come on Kemnay Loon!

edit: what is the long driving attributed to?

been hitting longer cos i'm swinging it better so can hit it harder , mcilroy and caddie noticed it yesterday as hit it past him a few times he's still longer than me but nice to hit it past him a few times , rory been working out really hard looks fit still a nice lad which is good to see

been hitting longer cos i'm swinging it better so can hit it harder , mcilroy and caddie noticed it yesterday as hit it past him a few times he's still longer than me but nice to hit it past him a few times , rory been working out really hard looks fit still a nice lad which is good to see

great effort Paul, always good to see you up there on a sunday, keep up the good work, also get yersell a dandies polo shirt for sunday's! all the best next week

nae too bad.

I'm sitting of 6-7 myself. I find there is a big difference between 4-5 handicaps and 6-7 handicaps.

I got down to 6 just through sheer practise with a dodgy swing. Completely re-modelling my swing so I have the fundamentals all sound and have something to improve off, just to try and bridge the gap to those on 5 and below.

nae too bad.

I'm sitting of 6-7 myself. I find there is a big difference between 4-5 handicaps and 6-7 handicaps.

I got down to 6 just through sheer practise with a dodgy swing. Completely re-modelling my swing so I have the fundamentals all sound and have something to improve off, just to try and bridge the gap to those on 5 and below.

Likewise this winter, only had one lesson in my life before now, but total rebuild, can't get past 5, and keep bouncing back up to 6. Time had come to give it one last major push before old age starts to eat inexorably into my game.