The Golf Thread

A wee note before joining. A group of us left there this year as the club was under administration and we were not sure if it would survive or not.

The gadgies that bought Craibstone from the receiver did so as a business venture, and letters were sent out to members basically saying, back the club or it would fold and the land redeveloped. That was my take on it.

I believe that member numbers are down on the previous year, and if there isnt a significant increase in members next year, they will look at it again.

Joining may be a risk, but the more that join reduces the risk obviously. I doubt they would hand back your fees, I may be wrong.

The new owners are not golfers, however they are doing their best to make it work, encouraging golfers to join by handing out forms being one initiative.

Most golfers pay their annual fees, turn up, play their round and head home, with little added income to the club.

The lack of a professional adding contributions through sales and tuition does'nt help either.

I would doubt if any "provincial" golf club turns in a profit these days.

I hope it keeps going, because as you say, a good course, and run by good people with good intentions.

Aye wulfo we have played it a few times now cos of it being in the spree voucher. Paid full price on Saturday as voucher is only valid through the week and the fee includes a fiver voucher to spend in the bar, good idea as we then had a drink with it but then bought our supper and additional drinks on top of that. If we didnt have the vouchers we probably would have just left after the golf. They really need to improve the poor attempt at a shop though. FIrst time I went I needed a new glove, they didnt sell them (although I think they do now), mate needed new shoes and they had none. Basically was filled with balls n tees.

Dont think Im going to join there though, I prefer Kintore. Then I can annoy your daughter and her hubby for a cuppa tea after golf :-)

Craibstones biggest problem is it's location, for the clubhouse anyway. The middle of nowhere. You can't nip up for a pint one evening to watch the football etc. It has a decent ish sized bar/dining area and it's always empty.

Good course, I like it. Was a member there a couple years ago.

Craibstones biggest problem is it's location, for the clubhouse anyway. The middle of nowhere. You can't nip up for a pint one evening to watch the football etc. It has a decent ish sized bar/dining area and it's always empty.

Good course, I like it. Was a member there a couple years ago.

Dynamo, you not fancy Royal Aberdeen ?

It would be good to catch up.

A wee note before joining. A group of us left there this year as the club was under administration and we were not sure if it would survive or not.

The gadgies that bought Craibstone from the receiver did so as a business venture, and letters were sent out to members basically saying, back the club or it would fold and the land redeveloped. That was my take on it.

I believe that member numbers are down on the previous year, and if there isnt a significant increase in members next year, they will look at it again.

Joining may be a risk, but the more that join reduces the risk obviously. I doubt they would hand back your fees, I may be wrong.

The new owners are not golfers, however they are doing their best to make it work, encouraging golfers to join by handing out forms being one initiative.

Most golfers pay their annual fees, turn up, play their round and head home, with little added income to the club.

The lack of a professional adding contributions through sales and tuition does'nt help either.

I hope it keeps going, because as you say, a good course, and run by good people with good intentions.

As it's just up the road from me, I took out a 5 day membership at Craibstone in May for £296, but as that was only till March 2012, it was only classed as a 10 month deal,(club only re-opened in May) so will undoubtadly go up to at least £350 next March, and full membership will be approx £500. For that, you could join Inchmarlo.

Boy who owns Marsichal Trailers is who took it over. He is quite blunt in his literature "I aim to run this as a business". Like the boy who owned East Aberdeenshire, I always have a problem with clubs who are owned and run by one individual, and not a club. If I buy a pint, I want that cash to go to the club, not some businessman, but that's the situation at Craibstone.

So, what do you reckon Marschall will do if he doesn't get the numbers next season - plough it up for cattle, build houses etc etc? This is the same guy who built 4 houses on the Westhill - Blackburn road, never applied for planning permission, covered them in straw bales for 3 years till the planning period had expired. Think he ended up knocking down 1 of them but got away with the other 3.

[1]I believe that member numbers are down on the previous year, and if there isnt a significant increase in members next year, they will look at it again.

[2]The lack of a professional adding contributions through sales and tuition does'nt help either.

[1]Membership is back around the 500 mark, ie, just what it was under the previous mob.

[2]They have a club professional - Billy Sim - and a teaching professional - Steve Murray - and are building a driving range with dedicated teaching facilities.

Plus I believe changing a hole or two, Craibstone will be in good health this time next year I would guess..

Aye wulfo we have played it a few times now cos of it being in the spree voucher. Paid full price on Saturday as voucher is only valid through the week and the fee includes a fiver voucher to spend in the bar, good idea as we then had a drink with it but then bought our supper and additional drinks on top of that. If we didnt have the vouchers we probably would have just left after the golf. They really need to improve the poor attempt at a shop though. FIrst time I went I needed a new glove, they didnt sell them (although I think they do now), mate needed new shoes and they had none. Basically was filled with balls n tees.

Dont think Im going to join there though, I prefer Kintore. Then I can annoy your daughter and her hubby for a cuppa tea after golf :-)

Because of how late in the season they got going, they were too late to set up accounts with suppliers, their shop will be properly stocked next year.

[1]Membership is back around the 500 mark, ie, just what it was under the previous mob.

[2]They have a club professional - Billy Sim - and a teaching professional - Steve Murray - and are building a driving range with dedicated teaching facilities.

Plus I believe changing a hole or two, Craibstone will be in good health this time next year I would guess..

Here's hoping FS. My guess is they wont spend the money, but its just that, a guess.

Ive played there 3 times this year, on a Saturday, and there was an asian lady taking the money and dishing out the score cards.

There may well be club and teaching professionals, I stand corrected. I'd have though they would have been there at peak times, when some cash could be generated.

Any idea where the driving range would be built?

I'd quite happily rejoin, apart from 14/15/16, its a good knock.

Here's hoping FS. My guess is they wont spend the money, but its just that, a guess.

Ive played there 3 times this year, on a Saturday, and there was an asian lady taking the money and dishing out the score cards.

There may well be club and teaching professionals, I stand corrected. I'd have though they would have been there at peak times, when some cash could be generated.

Any idea where the driving range would be built?

I'd quite happily rejoin, apart from 14/15/16, its a good knock.

Sorry no wulfo, but it's on the cards. Can't comment on the pros not being there, but poor show if true.

Sorry no wulfo, but it's on the cards. Can't comment on the pros not being there, but poor show if true.

Asian wifie is Billy's missus.

Heard of a lot of grand plans for Craibstone, but am dubious if any will actually take place. Supposed to be knocking down Ian's old pro shop and building new changing rooms, and extending the bar into what is the existing changing rooms. Hasn't happened yet.

Current practice facility won't be big enough to take a driving range. I asked Billy a few weeks ago where it would be and he disna ken. He did speak about moving 1st tee back over the road to gain an extra 50 yds. Bizzare though, watch out for the cars!!

:hysterical:

I cant think of any greens that have reduced in size at the links.

:dontknow:

I dont mean massively, I just mean they have made them a bit smaller than they used to be ie more fringe etc. I used to be a junior member and played there about ten years ago. I played it a few times in the last year or so and no doubt that the course isnt in as good a condition as it was then. Just a fact.

Is that a fact about the driving range? That was spoke about when I was a member but never got planning permission.

Asian wifie is Billy's missus.

Heard of a lot of grand plans for Craibstone, but am dubious if any will actually take place. Supposed to be knocking down Ian's old pro shop and building new changing rooms, and extending the bar into what is the existing changing rooms. Hasn't happened yet.

Current practice facility won't be big enough to take a driving range. I asked Billy a few weeks ago where it would be and he disna ken. He did speak about moving 1st tee back over the road to gain an extra 50 yds. Bizzare though, watch out for the cars!!

Really? Wouldnt have thought they would have had much room there with the 6th close by.