Mccall The New Mcghee?

And you think you aren't making yourself look silly?

You think you have a better knowledge of football than many (very) good posters on here?

I like you have a different opinion, whether or not you're just doing it for reaction is another question however.

Thanks, the point being that saying that Folly is 'excellent' is in my opinion an acceptance of mediocrity, because he's far from it.

I mind the days when we had proper mannies in midfield, Simpson and Cooper, and nobody was running through us, we were the ones dishing it out.

Folly is so far removed from that, I'm sorry but he is, and I tend to think it's the younger element of our support who think he can ever form part of a PROPERLY successful Aberdeen team.

The worst part of it all is that Mark McGhee was a part of that team, but as a manager added player of little merit to the squad in a scattergun approach.

Brown's signing policy is far more astute and we will sign players of real calibre this summer, watch and see.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To use the U21 argument is flawed, its what these guys can do week in week out in the mans league, Maguire hasnt delivered, I seem to remember Bryan Prunty doing ok for Scotland U21's

Another glib reply. Prunty did NOTHING for Aberdeen FC. Maguire has already done so, so again you're completely wrong.

He's not said much wrong. It's the same usual folk looking for an argument or shouting someone new down without explaining why they think he is speaking rubbish.

And earlier in the thread where people say League One teams would walk it up here and we'd struggle down there - it's a flawed argument. We'd be a richer team down there and they'd be a poorer team up here. Some of the dross you see served up each week in the EPL would be slated if it was the same match but with two Scottish teams playing.

In regards to Bripod's comments that "it was not the managers signing policy" that contributed to our poor form and little success is totally down to the manager not supplying the team with any defensive players in the wide areas other than a centre half being asked to play there.

Admittedly I haven't seen much this season but going across all three AFC forums the general consensus on Folly seems to be mixed, at best. From seeing a couple of games and snippets of McArdle at centre half I'm unconvinced and no-one seems to rate him as a full time full back.

Hartley, mentally has been a great buy. He maybe doesn't have the legs but for the attitude he can instill in the younger players alone his signing is worth it's weight in gold.

Vernon, I didn't expect much. When he signed I said I thought he'd be a terrible footballer and while he isn't as bad as that he isn't very good. He is though, like Stavrum a finisher who will get himself in to the right places and we'll reap the benefits. I won't be surprised if a Championship team bids a decent amount of money for him if he continues to knock in the goals.

Howard, worse than Clangers. Enough said.

Magennis I'd sum up with the word potential. He has all the physical attributes but if he can improve his technique he could be a very good striker to use against the bully defender types we have up here.

The 80s are behind us.

Football and Aberdeen have evolved. Folly isn't a mediocre player, and is in fact a very good player for Aberdeen F.C.

We are still the same Aberdeen FC as we were then, we have just been through a horrendous period of mis-management and awful decision making.

The culmination of which is that it's been bred into some to accept the unacceptable i.e. players like Folly, mediocre football players dressed up as something to be respected and desired.

Let's get back to cherry picking real talent from clubs within Scotland, the policy which brought us massive success in the first place.

Brown kens this, even if you dinna.

In Brown I trust, that isn't what I've been disagreeing with.

I just think Folly is a cracking player, I've seen him in action on a good few occasions and think he's been brilliant, he's like a Mascherano (okay miles off being as good) - he breaks up the play alot and reads the game very well.

I think many people will disagree with you (albeit Rocket won't, despite never seeing a game for a good few years I reckon, he has an opinion on everything - but that's because he's a knob who stirs it up. He actually follows me in a lot of threads which concerns me a bit).

Ok, you've made your point fairly and I'm of a differing opinion.

We'll see what Brown makes of it long term, my guess is that the guts of this team will be broken up and sold, and will go on to achieve very little at pastures new.

Which was obvious when McGhee was making the mistake of signing them, as McCall is doing now, and which will lead to the same conclusion.

Yeah, absolutely - it's decent to get others view points on it I guess. When Folly gets back from injury, I'll sit with you during a game and point out a lot of things he does in a game that will go un-noticed.

I think the vast majority of the team will be sold, how much we will get for them players I don't know - and how much he's going to be given to spend on the team who knows.

McCall is an inexperienced manager, it'll be Motherwell's downfall.

Several million pounds was the stipulation, after he knocked back the job first time, and Milne asked him back to the table.

We were a broken club and this is the price of fixing it.

Amazingly, Milne agreed.

By the time we move to a new stadium we will be a very different Aberdeen FC, and back where we belong in the pecking order.

Several million pounds was the stipulation, after he knocked back the job first time, and Milne asked him back to the table.

We were a broken club and this is the price of fixing it.

Amazingly, Milne agreed.

By the time we move to a new stadium we will be a very different Aberdeen FC, and back where we belong in the pecking order.

Can you back this up, or is it more hearsay and flannel ?

Can you back this up, or is it more hearsay and flannel ?

Why would I wish to back it up to you, an obstinate weegie who has gone out of his way to be contrary so far?

I've no interest in justifying it, and certainly not to you. I've probably said too much already so consider the discussion as closed on that front.

Interesting thread, we want to see AFC succeed, the world is different now from Fergies era - there is no way that any of our current squad would get a run out in the teams of the 80s with the possible exception for the young loons, Maguire may or may not develop into something quite special and that I think is down to the influences he has near him. Fyvie, Pawlett, Jack are all potential and may or may not develop, time will tell. Folly wouold not get a game in our 80s side, no surprise there - we can do better but only with a wedge of cash. If SM has finally found a manager he's prepared to trust with some then there is also no doubt we are in a time in Scottish football where another team has a good chance of a good run at the infirm, the huns are losing an experienced manager (for all his flaws) and are financially challenged, and the tims are led by a ginger bampot.

I like tups optimism and CB, AK and even SM deserve a lot of credit over the last couple of months; in order to develop a team of the required stature the squad will need to change as we lack quality in goal, defence and midfield and general consistency and creativity upfront. Managers can improve players so I'm not writing too many off (I'll make an exception for Clangers and Diamond as I think there are character issues and Ifil is useful only as a reserve CB or if we are playing against big and slow strikers). We will need to buy players of quality or with potential to really challenge for the league but given what they did with Motherwell and the budget there we have grounds for confidence.

As for Motherwells signing policy I've heard there also looking at some interesting overseas players so again time will tell with McCall, Kenny Black as assistant will not set the heather afire however.

Been in charge 4 games - one loss, two 0-0 draws and a 4-0 win. :dontknow:

Good lord I can see pedancy is your forte K-9 min.

I meant no league wins, given that I was addressing their potential league status and positioning under McCall's new regime.

But again, grudgingly, I have to accept you are correct to say a 4-0 cup win :poster_oops:

Prunty actually has a better goals per game average for Aberdeen in the league than Maguire does!!

Aye but as a bare statistic that is totally meaningless, given he hardly kicked a ball for the club, and was in fact rubbish.

Let's not pluck stats from thin air, they mean nothing on their own, much as you might have a love of them, I do not share it.

Maguire is by anyone's measure miles ahead of Prunty even at this stage and will have a career at a far higher level going forward.

Prunty went Celtic - Aberdeen - Airdrie or some other no marks from south - Ayr or some other no marks etc etc.

A downward spiral. Maguire is on the up for sure and will leave Aberdeen for a bigger club, be that now or in two years time.

Personally I'd give him

Weegie, showing your true colours now

You asked for it, dinna take it to heart min :cheers:

I dinna go in for making things up off the top of my head, but I'm afraid you're going to have to take me at face value, I can hardly discuss such things in such a public manner with folk I dinna know, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

You asked for it, dinna take it to heart min :cheers:

I dinna go in for making things up off the top of my head, but I'm afraid you're going to have to take me at face value, I can hardly discuss such things in such a public manner with folk I dinna know, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Am a stats man tup I need data, so I should take your word for it just now?

Am a stats man tup I need data, so I should take your word for it just now?

As I say you're going to need to, watch what happens going forward for proof.

Gone are the days when we couldna find a few hundred quid for no-marks like Basey.

Even if McGhee had been given millions, he'd have squandered it.

We now have a manager in place who deserves all the backing he can get.

As I say you're going to need to, watch what happens going forward for proof.

Gone are the days when we couldna find a few hundred quid for no-marks like Basey.

Even if McGhee had been given millions, he'd have squandered it.

We now have a manager in place who deserves all the backing he can get.

Fine if we can afford, you know I wonder what would have happened if Mcghee had actually got some cash..........we will never know

Fine if we can afford, you know I wonder what would have happened if Mcghee had actually got some cash..........we will never know

To hazard a guess, he'd have bought some overly expensive and underly talented players from the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley.

He'd have no doubt fallen out with these players immediately, or they'd have become rapidly disillusioned with the poisonous atmosphere prevalent at the club, engineered by the rat faced Leitch.

We would have then had to sell them for much less than we paid and taken a hit on the wages, as well as sacking the manager anyway.

To hazard a guess, he'd have bought some overly expensive and underly talented players from the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley.

He'd have no doubt fallen out with these players immediately, or they'd have become rapidly disillusioned with the poisonous atmosphere prevalent at the club, engineered by the rat faced Leitch.

We would have then had to sell them for much less than we paid and taken a hit on the wages, as well as sacking the manager anyway.

assume your not a fan !

He seemed a nice guy every time I went out drinking with him.

McGhee I mean. Leitch was a bit of a fud.

Nice guy does not = good football manager.

If the SPL were decided on interview technique and general all round blasting of hot air ability, Aberdeen would be in the interviewing technique Champions League by now.

Meanwhile back in the real world, McGhee was tactically inept and awful at man management, and Leitch was not someone who should ever have been employed by AFC, a tink from Lanarkshire.

Started out as a fairly boring thread and quickly became one of the more interesting and amusing ones in recent weeks.

I'm going to ignore the stuff about folly and mccall because actually whats interesting is the suggestion the club have a new plan and funding in place for the team rebuilding and new ambitions to go.

tup - I hope your theory on Milne funding CB and AK properly to build a real team capable of getting us back to pushing for top 3 and trophies is spot on.

I think there could be something in this actually. It seems to me that it is obvious Milne offered something significant to get CB and AK to come on board. And the way the negotiations broke off then they did a u turn fits that too i think.

otherwise why would they come to Aberdeen? they could have continued at Motherwell, been nearer to home and family and had less stress for sure.

Not sure how far the funding and ambition will go but as none of us know this how can we justifiably question what tup is saying?

Started out as a fairly boring thread and quickly became one of the more interesting and amusing ones in recent weeks.

I'm going to ignore the stuff about folly and mccall because actually whats interesting is the suggestion the club have a new plan and funding in place for the team rebuilding and new ambitions to go.

tup - I hope your theory on Milne funding CB and AK properly to build a real team capable of getting us back to pushing for top 3 and trophies is spot on.

I think there could be something in this actually. It seems to me that it is obvious Milne offered something significant to get CB and AK to come on board. And the way the negotiations broke off then they did a u turn fits that too i think.

otherwise why would they come to Aberdeen? they could have continued at Motherwell, been nearer to home and family and had less stress for sure.

Not sure how far the funding and ambition will go but as none of us know this how can we justifiably question what tup is saying?

I know, but I'm not telling :trophy:

Nice guy does not = good football manager.

If the SPL were decided on interview technique and general all round blasting of hot air ability, Aberdeen would be in the interviewing technique Champions League by now.

Meanwhile back in the real world, McGhee was tactically inept and awful at man management, and Leitch was not someone who should ever have been employed by AFC, a tink from Lanarkshire.

I know that. I was just stating he seemed a nice guy to go out for a drink with.

He asked me to go to his leaving doo after he got sacked.

I said I couldn't manage.

He said it's all right, neither can I.

I know that. I was just stating he seemed a nice guy to go out for a drink with.

He asked me to go to his leaving doo after he got sacked.

I said I couldn't manage.

He said it's all right, neither can I.

I think you're lying :blahblah1:

Whoever heard of a leaving do after a sacking?