Watches

Jones

What's the crack with mechanical vs battery ?

any preferences?

I like this

https://www.fossil.com/uk/en/men/watches/view-all/townsman-automatic-leather-watch-dark-brown-sku-me3098p.html

I prefer automatic mechanical to battery. If nothing else your movement wont get ruined by a battery leaking if you leave the watch lying around for a while.

Fossil are OK for a every day chuck on. Not sure where they get their movements from but the Japanese movements are pretty good these days so it wont matter if its Jap or cheese at that price.

I personally wouldnt get that, not my style at all. It has good reviews on Amazon though so you could probably do a lot worse.

If you're going to pay the money for a Fossil, just as well buy a Seiko, Orient or low end Bulova. Better quality. Fossil make handbags as their main trade, stick with folk that make watches.

Dont disagree however if you're going to buy a fashion watch you're better off with the likes of fossil or quicksilver than boss or armani

Don't have a timber watch, they're usually overpriced for normally a cheap movement - which I what the watch's longevity is all about.

Buy quartz for your beaters or 'dress' watches, buy mechanical for anything you want to leave to the kids. If you do want to keep something for a long time, don't buy an automatic winder - only 'wear' the watch when you are wearing it.

Out of interest, why is this?

Just like an engine or any mechanical device, a watch movement will inevitably wear with use.

If you own 4 watches and are going to rotate them, it may be worthwhile getting a winder so any of your automatics' are ready to wear without setting. However, if you own 50+ watches, or only use your nice auto for special occasions, leave it in your underwear drawer, set it each time you want to wear it, it will last longer.

• 1 year later...