Watches

Jones

Kata Beach. If you can get a similar one where you are, I'll pay for postage + extra for a couple of beers for yourself to get it.

You live in Bangkok? The same ones will be for sale up at Soi Cowboy no doubt. The thing is, you've got to be sure you're getting a category A. The cheap ones are bollocks, but without close inspection look the same. The key to a good fake is that the movement won't be jerky, the reset will sweep slowly and be absolutely pinpoint on 12 o'clock at completion. If you get the opportunity ask them to pop the back and check the make of the movement. If they are selling a good product they won't mind doing this.

The one at Kata Beach was the same as the real deal pictured above.

Kata Beach. If you can get a similar one where you are, I'll pay for postage + extra for a couple of beers for yourself to get it.

You live in Bangkok? The same ones will be for sale up at Soi Cowboy no doubt. The thing is, you've got to be sure you're getting a category A. The cheap ones are bollocks, but without close inspection look the same. The key to a good fake is that the movement won't be jerky, the reset will sweep slowly and be absolutely pinpoint on 12 o'clock at completion. If you get the opportunity ask them to pop the back and check the make of the movement. If they are selling a good product they won't mind doing this.

I know a guy that lives in Pattaya that goes to a decent copy shop, I bought a very nice rolex fake from there then left it in a random birds house in Aberdeen never to be seen again, I've texted him a pic of the watch and he says he'll be up that way later this week so I'll let you know. Like the look of it myself. He's been going there for years and has done business with him for people offshore so better than some dodger at Cowboy. Im back in Abz every 3 weeks anyway so I can easily just post it then.

Would you wear a pair of fake Adidas trainers?

Or drive a fake (insert favourite car here)?

Why would you want a fake watch?

I have about 35 watches, Boofter. If they were all genuine I would need a bigger safe in my house than the one that's there. I like the look of some watches, but not enough to spend 5 grand on them. That Hublot is a fine example. Nice watch, but not going to spend the equivalent of a family holiday on it. The replicas I would think about wearing are still good watches. Look on this site for examples .....

http://www.perfectwatches.cn/

Some units on there that are Swiss movements - watches that will last a lifetime - at a fraction of the cost of the real-deal.

Would I buy fake trainers? No, because I can afford to have 20 odd pairs of real ones. Though I did buy a pair of Stan Smiths in Vietnam a few years back that lasted about three weeks.

Would I buy a fake car? Well, I supose we all drive inferior cars to the next one up, so perhaps we're already doing that to an extent. Folk that get their cars serviced or repaired at places other than the manufacturers dealer are using replica parts.

Any news on the Hublot, Quaggy?

Going to have to wait a couple of weeks mate. Got a phone call the other day to say that place does have Hublots and do I want one. Asked him about the one in the photo I sent him and turns out he's got a shitty mobile that doesn't receive picture messages. Anyway I'm going to head down myself next trip, back in Aberdeen now I'll let you know.

Trying to buy a vintage Seiko digital on eBay and some twat keeps bidding it up. Nae paying more than a ton for it.

Don't bid until the auction has practically ended, gives folk less time to bump it up

Correct. However make sure you stick it in your watch list (not the time telling watch)

Almost lost Fergie's Gothenburg coat as he pulled it from the auction with an hour to go. I'd never have got it had I not been watching it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Swiss "Tressa" - company went out of business in 1987. Think their watches are well built with nice movements - can pick them up for a good price on eBay. Also bought a vintage Citizen (pre 1970) the other day. I wish Quaggy would hurry up with my Hublot replica!

Edit for picture of Tressa ......

tressa-classic-image-22663-345775.jpg

Thinking about buying this, but there are already 3 watches incoming in the post through boozy eBay bids, might not go down well in the ChutneyLove household. I wish Quaggy would hurry up with my Hublot replica!

OP-3013GD.jpg

I wouldnt buy it pal. The clock is saying its both 11 minutes past 10 and 36 minutes past 4, so it must be broken.