Paul Lawrie's Corner

Just had putting lesson from yer man Billy Fyfe. Good guy, He videod my stroke then played it back and split screened it with you! Mine looked terrible, arms far too far away from my body, but he then got me anchoring my elbows into my stomach, split screened it again and and this time looked far more like yersel!

Just had putting lesson from yer man Billy Fyfe. Good guy, He videod my stroke then played it back and split screened it with you! Mine looked terrible, arms far too far away from my body, but he then got me anchoring my elbows into my stomach, split screened it again and and this time looked far more like yersel!

Billy's a good lad he coaches both my boys , better putting is the key I hope he helped you

Paul

Just had a gander at your blog Paul, and your charity walk up the west coast last week. Looked like a blast, hard work though, eh?

Yeah some of it was tough but not to bad really, We have raised nearly 28k so far which is fantastic support we all enjoy it as banter is good and scenery awesome

Paul

How does anchoring elbows towards the stomach make for better putting? Interesting concept. Any explanation why? I've never heard this one.

Jack Nicklaus had his elbows miles away from his torso.

Thinks it's all to do with the arms and body all working in unison.

Coaches David Law, and he uses that same method.

Watched the WGC golf on the telly after my lesson and was surprised at how many of the players were using that method too. If not anchored then elbows tucked right in.

Measured me up for my putter too. Lie was okay but bent shaft angle 2% more upright to 71 degrees, and took and inch of it, now 33 inches.

Thinks it's all to do with the arms and body all working in unison.

Coaches David Law, and he uses that same method.

Watched the WGC golf on the telly after my lesson and was surprised at how many of the players were using that method too. If not anchored then elbows tucked right in.

Measured me up for my putter too. Lie was okay but bent shaft angle 2% more upright to 71 degrees, and took and inch of it, now 33 inches.

Aye, and yet look how tall you are. I've a new 33incher this year as well, but that's the longest I've had for many years. Most players have a putter that is way too long for them.

Had lessons from Alan Stewart down there over the winter, best thing I ever did, if a bit belatedly in my golfing life to start the lessons shenanigans.

Aye, and yet look how tall you are. I've a new 33incher this year as well, but that's the longest I've had for many years. Most players have a putter that is way too long for them.

Had lessons from Alan Stewart down there over the winter, best thing I ever did, if a bit belatedly in my golfing life to start the lessons shenanigans.

Aye Alan teaches my 8 yr old son, gets the messages across to him really well in a way that he can understand. Good lad.

Well however he's teaching it, it seems to be working lovely. David Law two off the lead with 10 to go at the Europro event this week!

I'm still not sure about what you mean by "method" though. In my experience, every golfer has their own unique Putting DNA and no two are the same. The best putters do tick all the same boxes though, just to varying degrees but the position of the "elbows" (plural) is not an issue that I've come across in putting instruction. They kinda just are there, in a natural position, as the ball gets addressed.

A good coach will tailor specific instruction to specific golfers. This is what I think Billy might have done with you? You may well have had both your elbows too far apart and losing overall control over the path of the putter head as a result, and his expert eye was able to spot this and take corrective action. He, and other good coaches, may not even need to mention elbows to another golfer who does not have the same issue to correct.

As Paul corrected me, Jack Nicklaus did have his right elbow tucked in but his left elbow was way out there. As I say, we all have our own Putting methods but it's important to tick the fundamentals.

As Paul corrected me !!!! Love it

I have always worked on keeping my right elbow tucked into my side as I feel it shortens my stroke slightly as my stroke gets to long and tends to decelerate coming in , But every one putts different

Well however he's teaching it, it seems to be working lovely. David Law two off the lead with 10 to go at the Europro event this week!

I'm still not sure about what you mean by "method" though. In my experience, every golfer has their own unique Putting DNA and no two are the same. The best putters do tick all the same boxes though, just to varying degrees but the position of the "elbows" (plural) is not an issue that I've come across in putting instruction. They kinda just are there, in a natural position, as the ball gets addressed.

A good coach will tailor specific instruction to specific golfers. This is what I think Billy might have done with you? You may well have had both your elbows too far apart and losing overall control over the path of the putter head as a result, and his expert eye was able to spot this and take corrective action. He, and other good coaches, may not even need to mention elbows to another golfer who does not have the same issue to correct.

As Paul corrected me, Jack Nicklaus did have his right elbow tucked in but his left elbow was way out there. As I say, we all have our own Putting methods but it's important to tick the fundamentals.

Aye, Billy Fyfe also adjusted the shaft angle of Law's putter by 1 degree this week, and he got a text back from him saying it's working!

And I think you are spot on about my own situation, looked awful on the video playback. Obviously I never realised I had allowed my hands to get so far away from my body, although the stats on the computer were not that bad, as regards spin, speed etc etc. As I said earlier, he also noticed on the floor mirror that my eyes were a few inches inside the ball too,

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. This weekend!

Hemmin, one swallow does not a gobble make. It's a long term process. Have a good een but don't expect miracles overnight. You're on the right road and you're getting the benefit of professional intervention. One day at a time! Good luck.

Cheers min

If I'd seen this, I'd have saved masel £60!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQRBIE5_a4

Better stuff today Paul. Did you tuck them elbows in? Lol

Dear Mr Lawrie,

What a day of scrambling like f**k!

7 x 2 putts and 11 single putts = 25 putts in Rd 2. Only 67 feet's worth of holed putts but only twice you missed from less than 20 feet, the 9 footer for birdie at 6 and the 15 footer at 1. You had lots of other opportunites to miss but at 7 from 7.5 feet, at 10 from over 5 feet, at 13 from 8.5 feet, at 14 from 10 feet and at 18 from nearly 10 feet, you drained them all.

10 GIR's today is at least better than 7 yesterday but 17/36 is pish so lets see 13 tomorrow and 16 on Sunday to continue this trend.

With a short game ability like this, and proven solid holing out on these greens, you can get a top 10 out of this nae bother.

Now get a f**king grip of your Long game and let's see a couple of well sub 70's this weekend. GIR's will be key. There are muppets behind you with nae chunce of beating you who are hitting loads more greens so far. Catch them up in this stat only, and you will fly.

Yours sincerely,

Uncle rocket

thats where stats are poor for me as i hit it really good today and two putted from the fringe a number of times and felt like i holed very little but putted well as so many had a chance , 10 gir felt much more

Had a closer look at the shot tracker info just now.

The big difference between Rd 1 and 2 was miles better approaches yesterday. Only 5 approaches found the putting surfaces on Thursday but 9 times yesterday.

From the fairways, it was 100% finding the greens in Rd 2 whereas in Rd 1, four times from the fairways you missed the greens, although 3 of these 4 misses were still less than 25 feet from the hole, where you got up and down each time.

These were a pretty class bunch of iron shots yesterday, the actual results in terms of feet from the hole of the 9 approaches you put OG: -

Rd_2_Apps.png

5 approaches 15 feet and less is class, including the one as good as stiff at 9 (2 feet) and at 10 to just over 5 feet. At the 6th and 18th, both approaches inside 10 feet as well so yes, there were a lot of excellent iron approaches yesterday.

Driving was better too. Even though the stats will say 9 fairways, 5 missed both Rds, in Rd 1 you put 5 in the rough (4 left, 1 right) but only three times drove into the rough (2 left, 1 right) in Rd 2 as two drive results were Left semi.

The long game was much better in Rd 2 but the reason this only translated into 10 GIR's was Par 3 Accuracy. Only 1 green at the par 3's yesterday and 2/4 on Thursday. One over at the par 3's this week (from bunker at 12 yesterday) so great Short game and putting has been saving par the rest of the times. As already stated, more GIR's have been found when including putts from just off so it must have felt better than 10 yesterday as you said, because there were some superb approaches in Rd 2, as above.

Scrambling is excellent. Holing Out very solid yesterday too. Hit 13 GIR's today and you'll be 4 or 5 under I reckon, maybe even deeper as you're due to hole a bunch of footage out there. 65 please!

please please do not post anything similar to above far far to much info for me , if i wanted to see that i would be paying a stat company , dont mean to be rude

your just trying to help i know

poor day all round today , hopefully better tomorrow

paul

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hemmin, one swallow does not a gobble make. It's a long term process. Have a good een but don't expect miracles overnight. You're on the right road and you're getting the benefit of professional intervention. One day at a time! Good luck.

Shot 75 - 75 in rds 1 and 2 of club championship. 30 putts yesterday and 33 today. Only one three putt all weekend. Putted really well yesterday, holed everything 6 feet and under which is not like me, not quite as good today but at least scareing the hole and judged the pace a whole lot better.

Still a lot of work to do but on the right track.

if you're playing in the pga at kiawah? island, i think you've got a good a chance as anyone. it looks like a course that's suited to an aulder heid, and being near the seaside, our yankee friends will find it just as unfamiliar, if not more so.

i hate putting, my granny can putt, anyone can do it. we should invent a contact lense that's got a 3d model of the green so it can map out the line and weight needed to hole the putt. terminator golf.

Just got a text so I thought I would give you the reassurance you are looking for before I go to bed.

No problem. I won't post up "anything similar" with regards to YOUR performance again. I reserve the right to post up anything though if I think it would be of interest to any other poster but on your golf, you have my word.

Your right of course, I was only trying to help. It was only information that was in the public domain anyway which you could have seen for yourself in less than five minutes looking at pgatour.com but as you've now said you don't want to see such detail, I respect that.

Good luck tomorrow. One last stat - I think I'm right in this - you followed a bad Rd 3 with a great Rd 4 recently if I remember right. Hope you do it again.

no problem you can post whatever you like as you know , played and putted ok today but holed nothing for 72 to finish +6 overall poor week but onward and upward as they say

paul

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1