Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

We shouldn't block out the best building in the city (Marischal College) with that eyesore. The money would be better spent sprucing up the buildings on union street, giving them some basic maintenance.

I was mincing up union street today, dodging beggars and the mutants who stalk the various £1 shops. It depressed the life out of me, had to muster up all my strength not to just leap of union bridge and end it all.

Not sure of ownership but surely it's not just the council's responsibility to have the buildings on Union Street spruced up?

Not sure of ownership but surely it's not just the council's responsibility to have the buildings on Union Street spruced up?

Its not their responsibility at all and unless its causing a danger or some sort of enviro hazard.

All they can do is suggest and put pressure on but if the building owners, mostly investment companies and solicitors, say no there isnt much the cooncil can do.

Someone suggested a couple of years ago they give the building owners the option to change the building use to allow residential but most werent interested because of the rental income they can get from businesses.

Its not their responsibility at all and unless its causing a danger or some sort of enviro hazard.

All they can do is suggest and put pressure on but if the building owners, mostly investment companies and solicitors, say no there isnt much the cooncil can do.

Someone suggested a couple of years ago they give the building owners the option to change the building use to allow residential but most werent interested because of the rental income they can get from businesses.

Aye I thought that the council weren't responsible. Seems a daft thing to suggest they are.

We shouldn't block out the best building in the city (Marischal College) with that eyesore. The money would be better spent sprucing up the buildings on union street, giving them some basic maintenance.

I was mincing up union street today, dodging beggars and the mutants who stalk the various £1 shops. It depressed the life out of me, had to muster up all my strength not to just leap of union bridge and end it all.

Glad that wasn't you.

Heard someone jumped off the bridge earlier today.

Working in my industry I've come across many non Scots who've worked in Aberdeen

They all say the locals dinna like funny accents and the city is decade behind most other places in term of amenities

Been some time since I've been back

What's ahbdys take on that opinion?

Cheese balls take on union st would suggest that its spot on. Correct?

Working in my industry I've come across many non Scots who've worked in Aberdeen

They all say the locals dinna like funny accents and the city is decade behind most other places in term of amenities

It's humming. Less and less character bars, gypsies both sides of the road every 20 paces and a champagne bar. A fucking champagne bar [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] even I'm nae that poofy

It's humming. Less and less character bars, gypsies both sides of the road every 20 paces and a champagne bar. A fucking champagne bar [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] even I'm nae that poofy

Champers?

Sounds like its catching up with 1990s England min. That's good is it not?

Champers?

Sounds like its catching up with 1990s England min. That's good is it not?

Bluto min, they have a gold table that you can only sit at if you put £1200 behind the bar. In aberdeen. Half the city goes to food banks [emoji23] shite like that doesn't last min. The grill and the frigate. That's real aberdeen

It's a shithole.

• 3 weeks later...

_80495284_marishaltwo.jpg

Aberdeen City Council has said there would be no financial penalty associated with cancelling the Marischal Square development.

Finance convenor Councillor Willie Young had said there would be a cancellation fee of about £100m if the project was scrapped.
The council now says there would be a risk of legal action if it was halted - but no immediate penalty fee.
A spokesman said Mr Young had used the "wrong terminology".
At the weekend, several hundred protesters formed a human chain around the site of the proposed £107m office, retail and hotel project.
Planning permission for the development was granted in October.
Developers Muse said it would be a "world-class development", but protesters fear it will block the view of the historic Marischal College and Provost Skene House.
The project will be built on a city centre site created by the demolition of St Nicholas House.
  • Admin

Willie Young really is an absolute arsehole.

Willie Young is a cunt. He's the epitome of the Labour party and forever making stupid comments and playing stupid party partisan politics.

He truly went off the deepend when he lost the MSP by-election to the SNP.

I'm honestly surprised why he hasn't been impeached yet, but then again, the city cooncil shouldn't ever surprise anyone in their high standards of mediocrity.

Fuck Willie Young. Fuck Labour. Fuck Aberdeen city cooncil. Bunch of bams. :dance:

I don't see what the problem is. Wait till they've finished it and burn it to the ground.

When was the last really good fire in Aberdeen... the Tivoli on Guild Street?

The Athenaeum 1973, RS McColls Union St 1984, Shore Porters 1998

Heard Gypit Willie yesterday stammering away and basically admitting he did not know the date at which point ACC handed over the land on Broad St to Muse Developments. If I were Chief Financial Convener for the City then sure I should have known when that happened.

He is a havering twat

Biggest problem in Aberdeen is all the NIMBYS. Nothing ever gets done because everyone objects. I think its got to the stage where nobody wants to take on a big project because its too much hassle getting it approved and even when things are approved the next council comes in and cancels it like the UTG farce. ACC have damaged the Citys reputation and need to be voted out. Thing is they will probably remain in power because labour voters vote labour regardless.