Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

I tell you where's looking shit nowadays. Rosemount.

Went to a party years ago in Rosemount Square. The folk seemed alright when we were out. Got back there and their neighbours turned up. Left shortly afterwards. Minkersville. A little pocket of shit in Aberdeen's centre.

Does anyone actually obey that "no right turn" at the lights in Rosemount that take you down to the Denburn car park?

Can some please tell me why they're buildi g a massive St Nicolas House II ?

Because councillors get paid about £14k per year.

Pay peanuts...

It's a ridiculous decision. Aberdeen does need a civic centre - I thought UTG was the wrong place for it though and the cost would have ended up far more than quoted.

The St Nick House site would be perfect - right in front of Aberdeen's most beatiful and impressive building- the 2nd largest granite building in the world. Provost Skene House is an excellent bonus ball. This could help bring in tourism - it's the kind of thing most tourists come to Scotland for - as well as regenerating the bottom of Union St which is dire need. You could close off Broad St and the Bottom of Union St to King St and join the Castlegate to it as a pedestrianised area and still leave the majority of Union St as a main thoroughfare.

£5m could get you a decent square with a wee bit of landscaping and sculptures and so on. £20m could reinvent the city centre.

And they're going to build ANOTHER shopping centre.

Fucking morons.

• Upvote 2

Because councillors get paid about £14k per year.

Pay peanuts...

It's a ridiculous decision. Aberdeen does need a civic centre - I thought UTG was the wrong place for it though and the cost would have ended up far more than quoted.

The St Nick House site would be perfect - right in front of Aberdeen's most beatiful and impressive building- the 2nd largest granite building in the world. Provost Skene House is an excellent bonus ball. This could help bring in tourism - it's the kind of thing most tourists come to Scotland for - as well as regenerating the bottom of Union St which is dire need. You could close off Broad St and the Bottom of Union St to King St and join the Castlegate to it as a pedestrianised area and still leave the majority of Union St as a main thoroughfare.

£5m could get you a decent square with a wee bit of landscaping and sculptures and so on. £20m could reinvent the city centre.

And they're going to build ANOTHER shopping centre.

Fucking morons.

Councillor wages, not including expenses which is further along the page

dd6c68f7b9b9425d1788263ffb0461e9.jpg

Ok £16,400 then, not £14,000.

That works out to the same as someone working 40 hours a week earning £8.00 per hour - roughly the living wage.

Not exactly going to attract the brightest and most able is it?

Not when someone can earn double that working as a steward offshore

Isn't being a councillor a 2nd job?

Thought it was something you did in your spare time from your proper job.

• 4 weeks later...

Can we nae roof Union Street fae the Trinity to Market Street? A nice clear perspex roof would be brilliant.

EDIT: Looks like I'm nae the only genius thinking of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-25917689

Cabot Circus in Bristol is like that (but better looking). Sure as fuck aren't any beggars there.

210409110403--Cabot%20circus.jpg

69e68e454465a463375ff7d7d4101ea795769dfc

Pics dinna do it justice but it's huge. Also when it was just opening no hotel rooms in the whole of Bristol so ended up getting put in an executive one because it was last one left. Normal bog roll and everything.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Council canna pay much for Software Geeks, that looks total bollocks.

Don't think the council paid for it nor did they come from the development firm.

Looks like the mock-ups came from the campaigners against the plans or the company based in Aberdeen ("Pinnacle visualisations"), to create publicity for their business.

Whatever they put there will be shite, modern building are. Especially next to Prov Skene and the college. I guess it's to maximise toon centre ££ from land but at the cost of culture and beauty. What a complete shame. Even with the building site boards still up the area looks 100 times better

• Upvote 3

Sensible post Poodler min.

I disagree about modern buildings though. You need look no further than Rotterdam for what can be done with modern Architecture.

The building neednot be a bad thing as such. But a nice wee open space with cafes etc would be a safer bet.

Sensible post Poodler min.

I disagree about modern buildings though. You need look no further than Rotterdam for what can be done with modern Architecture.

The building neednot be a bad thing as such. But a nice wee open space with cafes etc would be a safer bet.

it may have won an architecture award bluto but some of the buildings there are fucking atrocious.

The stacked blocks that are flats with different coloured roofs for starters, boak

The main street is smart, some of the docklands are stunning but the marina and the surrounding area is just disgusting.

Seen the new food hall at blaak spammage min?

The new train station at drlft and centraal are impressive buildings.

They're modern obviously so only time will tell but the look good now.

Of course I'm nae saying g all of Rotterdam's nice, that would be a cunting lie; just that theres a lot of decent modern architecture there.

And that modernity need not be a bad things g.

Seen the new food hall at blaak spammage min?

The new train station at drlft and centraal are impressive buildings.

They're modern obviously so only time will tell but the look good now.

Of course I'm nae saying g all of Rotterdam's nice, that would be a cunting lie; just that theres a lot of decent modern architecture there.

And that modernity need not be a bad things g.

Fraid not, havent been further south than DH for a while. Rotters centraal looked like it was going to be something else when I was last there a couple of years ago, didnt know Delft was getting updated. They totally changed it or just updated the old one?

Not disagreeing, some od the centre of weegie and the docks at Dundee are really smart. ACC however only pass big glass boxes or haulage containers stuck on top of roofs. Twats in our council have less taste than a McDonalds 99p burger.

We shouldn't block out the best building in the city (Marischal College) with that eyesore. The money would be better spent sprucing up the buildings on union street, giving them some basic maintenance.

I was mincing up union street today, dodging beggars and the mutants who stalk the various £1 shops. It depressed the life out of me, had to muster up all my strength not to just leap of union bridge and end it all.