Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

I think Muse pay for the development then pay the council a Million a year plus 9% of the profits it generates, something like that. They hand the whole thing back to the council after 25 odd years.

BUT, then ACC have to guarantee Muse £x Million back off of the rentable office space and hotel rooms and I think it is for 35 years

So no wonder ACC are pushing through big buildings to max out occupancy.

Doubt if anyone knows exactly what the deal is but I reckon one thing is for sure that Feel Wullie has screwed it up

• 3 weeks later...

A BID for a £2 billion City Deal could be agreed next week, council chiefs said today.

Details are still being finalised, but it is believed that hydrogen buses could be part of a rapid cross-city transit proposal.
The bid will make the case to the UK and Scottish Governments for investing in the city.
Officers were due to present a paper to full council on Wednesday, but this will instead be the subject of a special meeting on March 12.
Finance convener councillor Willie Young said: “I think it will have support from all political parties because I think we all want a City Deal. We need to be unified and make our case as robust as possible.
“This isn’t just about the council. We’ve been working with industry and universities.”
Tory leader Cllr Ross Thomson said a City Deal could help anchor the oil industry in Aberdeen and so produce benefits across the whole country.
He said: “The bid will be very comprehensive and show there are returns.”
City Deals are underwritten by government and aim to stimulate the economy.
Officers have been working to identify specific projects, which could include new roads and rail links, affordable housing, city centre regeneration and assisting with the harbour’s expansion.
The city council has launched a £19 million led scheme to put the city at the forefront of hydrogen technology by introducing buses that convert hydrogen to electricity.
Last summer Glasgow secured a joint £1bn deal from the UK and Scottish Governments over 10 years and £130m from local authorities

Why do all the NIMBY's want a shite version of what was going to be UTG? There's so many underused parks in Aberdeen, like the two up Albyn way and Bon Accord Terrace Gardens. Make them a little bit more inviting and we've got all the "green space" we could ever need!

I'll fucki edit you you fuckin small bald bastard

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Can we nae roof Union Street fae the Trinity to Market Street? A nice clear perspex roof would be brilliant.

EDIT: Looks like I'm nae the only genius thinking of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-25917689

Terrible idea. The costs for UV protected perspex would be ridiculous. If we went ahead without the UV protected stuff there would be horrible discoloration and the heat would eventually buckle the material. I don't fancy a 3000mm x 2000mm sheet of plastic falling on any of my kids.

As also said the seagulls would have a field day

Terrible idea. The costs for UV protected perspex would be ridiculous. If we went ahead without the UV protected stuff there would be horrible discoloration and the heat would eventually buckle the material. I don't fancy a 3000mm x 2000mm sheet of plastic falling on any of my kids.

As also said the seagulls would have a field day

I've seen it done somewhere (can't remember where for the life of me) in a place with more extreme temperatures than here iirc. That's what made me think it would be possible in the first place.

Certainly wasn't Vegas that I saw it. I'm thinking in Canada, somewhere small ( @@looksgoodinred ?) but I could be way off the mark.

aye. it was done here in Ottawa -- Rideau Street. much more extreme temps (summer and winter) and it was horrid. turned into a urine filled mess, killed off shopping on the street and was not many years later, taken down as a miserable failure. i posted a link about it some months ago when someone raised the idea. can't mind where now though.

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2014/03/rideau-centre-history-part-6-transit.html

The Rideau Street merchants and property-owners' demands persisted, and what emerged was a two-part option: the 'Minimal Shelter Plan' (transit stop pavilions) and the 'Maximum Shelter Plan', with enclosed sidewalks from Sussex to Waller. Although Ottawa City Council initially voted for the Minimal Plan, their resistance to pressure from the Rideau group was worn down and the Maximum option given final approval, subject to a cost-sharing agreement.

Had the City persisted with the minimal shelter plan it might have been a success, but the enclosed sidewalks' notorious social problems (public urination, sleeping homeless people, and perceived security concerns) quickly turned the experiment into a costly embarrassment.

is this what you were thinking of @@Pudgie?

See. I knew it was a good idea!

:digginghole:

i think as the report cites, it would have been better if they'd gone for partial coverage rather than full. large covered stop off points where people could be protected from the weather, wait for buses and such. but the complete coverage just made it a heated homeless paradise.i don't recall the actual covering become discoloured at all, but perhaps that's just because it wasn't up long enough? it did for certain get very scratched, and had spit and spew stuck to it. and graffiti of course. a pretty gruesome sight.

i think as the report cites, it would have been better if they'd gone for partial coverage rather than full. large covered stop off points where people could be protected from the weather, wait for buses and such. but the complete coverage just made it a heated homeless paradise.i don't recall the actual covering become discoloured at all, but perhaps that's just because it wasn't up long enough? it did for certain get very scratched, and had spit and spew stuck to it. and graffiti of course. a pretty gruesome sight.

Yeah, I was thinking more just an arch between the buildings, probably more like a bridge going roof to roof rather than total coverage. I'm not sure if it was here that was saying there isn't too many homeless people in Aberdeen, just a lot of beggars. Stick in some of that 4 person street lavvies and we're on to something.

The first details of a proposed masterplan to regenerate Aberdeen city centre have been released.

They include a partly-pedestrianised Union Street and a new pedestrian bridge over the River Dee.

The proposals also include a new residential area at the Denburn, regeneration of the Queen Street area, and improved access to the railway station.

They will go out to public consultation from the weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-31746565

:laughing:

Can anyone within the boundaries of Aberdeen City Council explain why you all voted for these complete and utter fuckwits?

the bought the vote around Loriston by saying they'd stop the new stadium

They bought the vote in Tillydrone by saying they'd stop the 3rd crossing

They bought more votes by saying they'd stop UTG]

They got in by promising to stop projects without any alternatives, this is what the NIMBY's have left us with.

• 3 months later...

That's not much of a flood, though.

Not like the Great Heroic Deeds of 2014 Flood, last year... where yours truly had to plough through feet of freezing, fast-moving floodwater and smash in a garage in order to rescue the neighbours cats. All in pitch darkness, and wearing nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of shorts.

I don't like to talk about it, though.

Not like the Great Heroic Deeds of 2014 Flood, last year... where yours truly had to plough through feet of freezing, fast-moving floodwater and smash in a garage in order to rescue the neighbours cats. All in pitch darkness, and wearing nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of shorts.

Freezing fast flowing water?

Doesn't compute. Freezing water generally slows down due to ice beginning to form and restricting flow rates. Are you sure the water was losing temperature when you were wading through it? What time of the year was this?

Might it have been cold or very cold water rather than freezing? Freezing is what's happening to water as the temperature drops and not an actual way of describing it's temperature.

Other than that it seems like a good tale. The cat rescue incident. Would make a good chapter in your autobiography.

Wet, back doors, pussy, could be a joke in there somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...