Sevco Thread

11 minutes ago, Bamber said:

This season more than any other is a season for all other teams to play a reserve side made up of subs and u21 who are squad members in away matches at parkhead and ibrox. Nothing in the rules prevents squad rotation but why away from home against these teams should we put out our first team. might have even argued for home games but without doubt away games we should play reserves. 

The bigger problem is that we could go down there with our full first choice 11 and both of the cheeks' could fire out THEIR reserve teams and still beat us

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

The bigger problem is that we could go down there with our full first choice 11 and both of the cheeks' could fire out THEIR reserve teams and still beat us

And they often do put out a reserve team when they have a european match coming up - they play weakened teams to protect players for the big games - so should we rangers celtic isnt a big game hearts hibs are our big games 

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Aye, that'll show them!

?

Who actually cares if it will show them this is about AFC not any other team 

The only way forward being put forward is make sure "we are best of the rest" and so make the money from group stage uefa and progress that way

Therefore we get NOTHING positive from playing the OF away from home

Negative we get a potential morale sapping loss, injuries and  suspensions

But you say what if we win well that is so far out of norm to be an anomaly and is unlikely to enhance morale has a potentail for injuries suspensions and a fitness sapping match

We gain nothing from playing a first team squad we enhance out chance against the rest by putting out reserves

Who cares about "showing them" I care about AFC and whats best for us, whats best for us and other spfl teams is to play our best teams against each other and use Celtic and rangers as development matches for our younger players who will know we have a free hit

1 hour ago, ericblack4boss said:

Id probably be less apathetic if the European competition was back to straight Knock out, if they must keep the massive prize money,  so if you win you get paid he handsomely but if your knocked out then your prize is curtailed 

The Chumpions League is just a cartel of greed now

Financial greed 

There won't be many clubs in that completion who are financially viable and not millions in debt one bad season they fail to make the Chumpions League their fucked. We have seen this before with Sevco a poor season in Europe and its panic stations in the board room

There might be the odd exception Celtic seem to make profit most seasons regardless how they fail in Europe every season

9 hours ago, Millertime said:

Aye and then when a hearts or hibs do better and break away from us,  then what,  move away and form a smaller league?

What an utterly bizarre mentality

Ever wonder why you're the only cunt on here arguing that the huns winning last night is a good thing?  Bizarre mentality indeed

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

A breakaway league without them is a flight 9f fancy , the other chairmen, much as they may not say it want and need them , even the smallest battles that we could have delivered ba bloody nose on them the others failed to win, 

The much vaunted failure to  change the  voting structure, ok only a small victory , at least would have been a start , a show of clubs wanting change, but no even a small victory that would have been won off the park, and which would have been as good a chance to actually beat them at something was not taken , and I will never forgive Aberdeen that hun cretin Milne  for thier his role in that 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

To be fair, they are in the champions league groups after not that long ago, playing brechin in the league

Have they really wasted it?

It’s not some miracle. Viktoria Plzen are in the groups. FC Copenhagen. Dinamo Zagreb. Maccabi Haifa. There’s an argument that the Champions League qualifiers are just as easy/hard as the Europa ones.

Yeah they’ve done well to get there but then being in the shit leagues in Scotland didn’t change much did it. That was also 10 years ago, they have won 2 domestic trophies outside of the shit leagues they played in. 

7 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

It’s not some miracle. Viktoria Plzen are in the groups. FC Copenhagen. Dinamo Zagreb. Maccabi Haifa. There’s an argument that the Champions League qualifiers are just as easy/hard as the Europa ones.

Yeah they’ve done well to get there but then being in the shit leagues in Scotland didn’t change much did it. That was also 10 years ago, they have won 2 domestic trophies outside of the shit leagues they played in. 

They also ran up losses of well over £100 million getting there.  Cheating cunts

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Bamber said:

Who actually cares if it will show them this is about AFC not any other team 

The only way forward being put forward is make sure "we are best of the rest" and so make the money from group stage uefa and progress that way

Therefore we get NOTHING positive from playing the OF away from home

Negative we get a potential morale sapping loss, injuries and  suspensions

But you say what if we win well that is so far out of norm to be an anomaly and is unlikely to enhance morale has a potentail for injuries suspensions and a fitness sapping match

We gain nothing from playing a first team squad we enhance out chance against the rest by putting out reserves

Who cares about "showing them" I care about AFC and whats best for us, whats best for us and other spfl teams is to play our best teams against each other and use Celtic and rangers as development matches for our younger players who will know we have a free hit

Easy saying this but if we missed out on 3rd/4th due to 1 point, and the team in 3rd/4th got a draw away in Glasgow by playing a full strength side then 90% on here would be going mental we played a weakened team and done ourselves out of a potential point.

9 hours ago, CCB III said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

Theres not a serious league in the world where only 2 teams have won it over a period of almost 40 years ?

Seriously. Baby brained stuff. 

Red star Belgrade (crvena svezda)and Partizan Belgrade almost mirrors our league,only 4 teams have one it once since  the 80s 

dinamo Zagreb in 81/82

sarajevo in 84/85

vojvodina in 88/89

obilec in 97/98

and don’t say it isn’t a major league in serbia and the former Yugoslav league. Red star were in many finals in Europe and was considered very strong.

EFE0-B7-B8-FA58-4-A04-87-CB-F5-CEFD7-D90
7-F91-FA5-E-9-F33-41-CB-BB50-FE2-C1-D014

14 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Red star Belgrade (crvena svezda)and Partizan Belgrade almost mirrors our league,only 4 teams have one it once since  the 80s 

dinamo Zagreb in 81/82

sarajevo in 84/85

vojvodina in 88/89

obilec in 97/98

and don’t say it isn’t a major league in serbia and the former Yugoslav league. Red star were in many finals in Europe and was considered very strong.

EFE0-B7-B8-FA58-4-A04-87-CB-F5-CEFD7-D90
7-F91-FA5-E-9-F33-41-CB-BB50-FE2-C1-D014

Who follows those leagues now? 

They are rightly viewed as non competitive joke leagues. 

4 hours ago, Roberto said:

Egyptian league is close... Ismailly broke the mould one year.

Yeah exactly.

Nothing will change. Its not this season that's going to be the problem, next season and beyond we will start to see it come to fruition.

As long as big Boydy and the ilk are jovial and selling the product, who cares eh?

I'll go to less games than ever I suspect. 1 this season might become 4 over the season, but I'll drop off again next season. Pointless and pathetic really but that's where I am with it and knew it had been coming.

My thing with it isn't even about the league, over the course of a season we were never going to compete anyway, we just don't have the strength and depth. 

My issue is that I've never seen AFC lift a Scottish Cup and I'm pretty sure the pair of them getting 40,000,000 on top of their already substantial (comparatively speaking) wealth, means I won't see it till I'm an old man. 

At some point we've got to ask the question; what the fuck are we doing this for? 

2 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

This years squad, even before the transfer window closes just qualified for the Champions League. I'm pretty confident they will now strengthen further but even if they didn't no one would be laying a glove on that squad or the other half either. They have each been winning the league with 20+ point leads over 3rd for years now. No one laid a glove on them then, and no one will now.

Now I know this is unpopular, but people need to get used to the idea that we're not competing with them, we're competing with everybody else. What they do is irrelevant, what Hearts do is critical. That should be the focus, it's what Hearts and their fans are focusing on. Not spending night and day bitching about how much money the big two get.

They're looking to create a similar gap between 3rd and 4th as the top two have between them and 3rd. And if they get a run of successive Euro seasons they can do that. While we will still be here complaining abut how unfair it is? Aberdeen need to focus on that too, or be left behind. 

Of course we need to focus on that. I'm not suggesting otherwise. 

My main concern is I'll never see us win the Scottish Cup. They'll be able to create about 3 XI's off the back of this that'll pump our squads for years to come. 

Scottish football was at its most competitive when Rangers were out the top league. They returned in 2016 and that stopped. 

19 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Of course we need to focus on that. I'm not suggesting otherwise. 

My main concern is I'll never see us win the Scottish Cup. They'll be able to create about 3 XI's off the back of this that'll pump our squads for years to come. 

Scottish football was at its most competitive when Rangers were out the top league. They returned in 2016 and that stopped. 

I think Scottish football was at it's most competitive in the 80's, when Aberdeen and Dundee United too were winning the league. And being competitive in Europe. Pre Bosman.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Bamber said:

This season more than any other is a season for all other teams to play a reserve side made up of subs and u21 who are squad members in away matches at parkhead and ibrox. Nothing in the rules prevents squad rotation but why away from home against these teams should we put out our first team. might have even argued for home games but without doubt away games we should play reserves. 

Because a league can be so tight it can make the difference between Europe or not if you can nick a point from them.

58 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

dinamo Zagreb in 81/82

sarajevo in 84/85

vojvodina in 88/89

obilec in 97/98

3 of those sides haven't played in the same league as Red Star for about 30 years ffs ?

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Would help if we didn't play each other 4 times a season

Would it ?

Back in the 1970s our board , the late Chris Anderson in particular, believed that , changing the top flight from 18 teams playing each other twice to 10 teams playing each other four times would make for a more competitive league overall. And , especially,  give us a better chance of not just competing for the title , but winning it.

We were the primary movers for that change.

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

To be fair, they are in the champions league groups after not that long ago, playing brechin in the league

Have they really wasted it?

It was a gamble that paid out.

There would have been some worrying times though for their board (Motherwell 6-1 aggregate play-off and Progress Niederkorn Pedro in a bush)

Their transfer window in January they already started to minimise their spending and its only because of their very fortuitous run in Europe last year and selling Patterson, Aribo & Bassey that has given them a reprieve

You only have to hope that they keep on gambling and at some point, they fail to capitalise and it becomes a big drain for them