U20's Thread

Deary me, that first half was torture to watch. Nobody doing themselves a favour in front of the watching first team gaffer, Deano especially picking the wrong time to have an absolute stinker of a 45. Different side in the second where it was pretty much one way traffic, definitely helped by St Mirren being down to 10 for a pretty harsh sending off in my opinion, although Id need to see it again. Very patient and were rewarded by two deserved goals in the last few minutes. Ryan Harrington and young Ethan Ross the pick of the bunch tonight. Ethan Ross mom for me and is definitely growing in confidence at this level.

Fantastic game management for the second half. Spreading the ball from side to side stretching the St Mirren midfield to create openings. Just how you should play against 10 men . The 3rd goal was a flying karate kick of a volley . Our young keeper likes to come out of his box .. fuck me he was about at the centre circle half the time ?

Deserved win I thought .

A real game of two halves tonight,first half was terrible,second half a really surprisingly enjoyable match and a good win in the end for the Young Dons.Referee was booking folk for any robust challenges and so someone was gong to be booked twice and sent off. Bad tackle on Dean Campbell and St Mirren McBrearty daft as he had not long been booked.Aberdeen equalised straightaway through Danny Harvie after big Harlain Mbayo headed down long free kick into Danny's path.And still we could not go into the break level terms appealing for offsides.Do not rely on referees ! Play to the whistle.And Paul Sheerin did wonders for Archie Mair's confidence,constantly shouting at him for the odd minor inaccuracy in his footwork and clearances !! Thankfully Archie came good,his distribution is excellent and I like a Hamish McAlpine goalie who co

mands the box and penalty area and doesn't stand like a statue in his own six yard box when a cross comes in,Craig Gordon .Second half much better and as seann coirthe so rightly said,we pulled them about,Frank Ross was back on song,Seb Ross scored and Bruce Anderson double,the Adam Rooney of Aberdeen u20s and the game was won.Your honesty is admirable Ollie,my wee sister keeps me up to date with my wee nephews and according to her they are the star men every week ! Ethan Ross was excellent,Connor Barron in Scotland u16s Victory Shield squad.

Excellent word processing and presentation skills from graham as always. Now if you think Brechin is planes ,trains and automobiles to get to,Aberdeen have been drawn away to Edusport Academy in the SFA Youth Cup 3rd Round tie.The team play home matches at Galabank in Annan.Rangers v Partick Thistle the marquee tie.

Aye that was a shocker of a first half. I thought the St Mirren boys first yellow was maybe harsh but he was stupid to make that second tackle having just been booked. Some intelligent play in the 2nd half by the young players to keep themselves wide and stretch St Mirren. Frank Ross started dropping really deep to get the ball and work it forward after many of the players were becoming frustrated with Mbayo's distribution.

From the 5 or 6 games I've seen this season I've been really impressed by Harrington. Looks to have been a good pick up this summer.

Is reserve team football coming back soon? I heard this a few months ago. I think it would benefit the younger guys getting a run out with the senior players who don't play on a Saturday and you'd be likely to come up against more senior players from other clubs as well.

For example a reserve team after St Johnstone at home could of been Would it not be more beneficial getting guys game time and help a few youngsters playing alongside first team players. We seem reluctant to use fringe first team players like Maynard as an over age player for the under 20s to help him get a few goals and confidence up so maybe reserve team football is what we should be looking at again.

Rogers

Harrington Mbayo Reynolds Harvie

Campbell Ball

GMS F.Ross Wright

Maynard

I'd like to see it return for the reasons you mentioned but clubs wont go for it for financial reasons. Clubs try to keep their squads to a minimum in order to afford their best players and you'd need a couple of extra staff probably. The compromise of playing some overage players in the 20s is there but as you say many clubs are reluctant to do so as it means the U20s players miss out on game time.

A lot of investment is made in the lower age groups of football (12-20s) with the amount of coaches and teams each club runs but clubs are unwilling to fund that last step of integrating these young players they have developed into the senior game.

Have Celtic many good players? I hear a fair bit about a Jack Aitchison? Over hyped? Or any good?

Celtic have a batch of youngsters around his age. off the top of my head, Robbie Deas, Steven Welsh, Kerr McInroy and Jack Aitchison are real quality. Just that little bit older they obviously have Anthony Ralston now making his breakthrough, but in addition to him Calvin Miller and Mikey Johnstone have had first team experience.

I'd like to see it return for the reasons you mentioned but clubs wont go for it for financial reasons. Clubs try to keep their squads to a minimum in order to afford their best players and you'd need a couple of extra staff probably. The compromise of playing some overage players in the 20s is there but as you say many clubs are reluctant to do so as it means the U20s players miss out on game time.

A lot of investment is made in the lower age groups of football (12-20s) with the amount of coaches and teams each club runs but clubs are unwilling to fund that last step of integrating these young players they have developed into the senior game.

All the ex pros you hear discuss it say reserve team football was a big factor in there development. I heard Barry Ferguson the other day talk about how playing alongside the likes of our gaffer for the reserves brought him on leaps and bounds from youth football. Also the competition you are up against as a young guy is much higher standard than what you would get on a loan to a league one or two side.

A real game of two halves tonight,first half was terrible,second half a really surprisingly enjoyable match and a good win in the end for the Young Dons.Referee was booking folk for any robust challenges and so someone was gong to be booked twice and sent off. Bad tackle on Dean Campbell and St Mirren McBrearty daft as he had not long been booked.Aberdeen equalised straightaway through Danny Harvie after big Harlain Mbayo headed down long free kick into Danny's path.And still we could not go into the break level terms appealing for offsides.Do not rely on referees ! Play to the whistle.And Paul Sheerin did wonders for Archie Mair's confidence,constantly shouting at him for the odd minor inaccuracy in his footwork and clearances !! Thankfully Archie came good,his distribution is excellent and I like a Hamish McAlpine goalie who co

mands the box and penalty area and doesn't stand like a statue in his own six yard box when a cross comes in,Craig Gordon .Second half much better and as seann coirthe so rightly said,we pulled them about,Frank Ross was back on song,Seb Ross scored and Bruce Anderson double,the Adam Rooney of Aberdeen u20s and the game was won.Your honesty is admirable Ollie,my wee sister keeps me up to date with my wee nephews and according to her they are the star men every week ! Ethan Ross was excellent,Connor Barron in Scotland u16s Victory Shield squad.

Only way to be. I'm not naive enough to think Dean will perform to his highest level in every single game.

One poor 45 in 8 years at the Dons is not a bad record though.....

:laughing:

Only way to be. I'm not naive enough to think Dean will perform to his highest level in every single game.

One poor 45 in 8 years at the Dons is not a bad record though.....

:laughing:

Good man ! It is ups and downs for all footballers and football fans.One day I might even write a well presented comment.