New Stadium Approved

Short term aye. See how cheap it is long term running 100 shuttle buses every other week with a reduced crowd once the novelty factor has worn off

I'm beginning to wonder if the people who keep trying to push this nonsense are actually football fans.

It's not a new swimming pool or a Tim Horton's being built, where locals go along to try it out then gradually get less interested. It's a football club that the fans have supported for years. Any "novelty" will have worn off years ago, but it stays with you for life.

When did the novelty wear off at Pittodrie? After the RDS was built? After we fell so far behind the Old Firm we began every season aiming for third? When reaching the top six was seen as a success? When prices rose way beyond inflation?

We still go. We might go less because we've got other commitments or have moved to the other end of the country, but that's different than being put off by an additional 20 minutes to get to a game. The older fans who go less are always replaced by new younger fans, that's shown by our average rarely changing much.

For every fan that would usually be a regular at Pittodrie but decides to skip a game at Kingsford because it's out of town, there will likely be another one who is more likely to go because he/she prefers the stadium to the old one.

What's actually more realistic is fans get into the routine of going to Kingsford, and eventually get used to it and the additional travel time.

• Upvote 4

I'm beginning to wonder if the people who keep trying to push this nonsense are actually football fans.

It's not a new swimming pool or a Tim Horton's being built, where locals go along to try it out then gradually get less interested. It's a football club that the fans have supported for years. Any "novelty" will have worn off years ago, but it stays with you for life.

When did the novelty wear off at Pittodrie? After the RDS was built? After we fell so far behind the Old Firm we began every season aiming for third? When reaching the top six was seen as a success? When prices rose way beyond inflation?

We still go. We might go less because we've got other commitments or have moved to the other end of the country, but that's different than being put off by an additional 20 minutes to get to a game. The older fans who go less are always replaced by new younger fans, that's shown by our average rarely changing much.

For every fan that would usually be a regular at Pittodrie but decides to skip a game at Kingsford because it's out of town, there will likely be another one who is more likely to go because he/she prefers the stadium to the old one.

What's actually more realistic is fans get into the routine of going to Kingsford, and eventually get used to it and the additional travel time.

Your point only applies to the "hard core" support.

All clubs have a large percentage of fickle supporters who will go when the going is average/good but not when its a shite ko time, on tele, shite weather, too expensive etc (Ref: this Sat). To think logistics will not play a part in the long term with these types is naïve imo.

• Upvote 1

Smug at all the GIBers and AllForAurora types who are now actually looking at the plans and bigger picture properly.

There has been considerably more questions and concerns aired since the vote than before on here.

Even Poodler said today it would be a failure!

:smugface:

You're smug at people discussing and asking questions about what the final design will be for a stadium that isn't built yet and for which the finer design detail hasn't been completed?

My arse.

Just admit you meant you will feel smug if its a failure.

Your point only applies to the "hard core" support.

All clubs have a large percentage of fickle supporters who will go when the going is average/good but not when its a shite ko time, on tele, shite weather, too expensive etc (Ref: this Sat). To think logistics will not play a part in the long term with these types is naïve imo.

So reasons that are also relevant at Pittodrie then?

Like I said, for a midweek game v Hearts, there may be the casual fan who thinks "nah, too far away", but there will be another two saying "The Aberdeen Allianz Stadium under the lights, fucking love it, no better stadium in Scotland on a night like this".

• Upvote 1

Its a mad viewpoint to have isn't it.

Seems to be 3 types of fan:

- You've got GIBers who are positive regardless of any objections

- You've got people like me, who have some concerns about the stadium, but are hopeful that all the work the club has done will deal with the perceived concerns and it will be a complete success. And who are also hopeful that if there are problems once it's built, that the club will be able to learn from them and react to them by making positive changes to overcome them.

- You've got people who are negative and have decided it will be a failure no matter what anyone says to them. This to me seems a bizarre mindset. A club they supposedly love yet they refuse to even hope it will be a success in any way. Their minds are made up and they even feel smug about the possibility they will be right.

As a staunch GIBer and Dons fan I can't see why someone who supports AFC would want this plan to fail.

I really hope the new stadium is up and running sooner rather than later so I can be smug about how much better it is to Pittodrie in every way.

Probably because they're so devoid of a personality that the only way they can derive any sort of meaning from life is to try and claim superiority over people on an internet forum. What a sad existence this cunt must lead. Probably voted no as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As an aside, suggestions are that the seating capacity + executive boxes + accessibility capacity all comes to an overall stadium capacity of around 19,700.

Don't know if that's final. I suspect that because they applied for a 20,000 capacity that if they did decide to add on a few hundred seats taking them over 20k they would need to actually change the application to reflect this (Tottenham have just applied mid-build to increase their capacity - think it's an extra 2,000 they want).

I suppose it's not a big deal (if true), the difference between 20,000 and 19,700 is minimal. But would be sad to think that after we leave Pittodrie we wouldn't have a home crowd over 20,000 again. It's symbolic more than anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

...I think that AFC in general are just out of step with everyone else.

First all seater (which then becomes a bit tired 35+ years later).... going to build a new stadium rather than patch up the old place. If aberdeen can get the match day experience right - on site - like so many exemplars mentioned before (germany, murrayfield, etc) then the hibs / hearts of the world are suddenly behind the times (wait and see what dundee come up with). Rangers are in the shit anyway... the cost of gaffer tape at ibrox must be huge. Celtic realistically have a 'good enough' stadium (but could go round a stand at a time if they wanted to and have enough space around it too)

It's all down to getting the match day experience right and making it worth turning up that little bit earlier to partake. So - apart from the away bit you should be able to walk (internally) all the way round so if you are in the supporters bar but seated in the west you can walk round inside watching the game rather than having to walk round outside... that sort of attention to detail!

It's fun when attending non-league football where everyone just buggers off into the supporters club for a pint at half time. Something akin (beer outside the ground - or even pilot drinking inside again) would be awesome. To make it happen tho the ticketed entry has to be to the complex rather than the stadium.

@@Panda Are you another of these Canadian hearts fans?

Also why do you think that is a good analogy because (outwith small scale global expansion) they are extremely popular. Not something people don't try out and not return to?

First all seater (which then becomes a bit tired 35+ years later).... going to build a new stadium rather than patch up the old place. If aberdeen can get the match day experience right - on site - like so many exemplars mentioned before (germany, murrayfield, etc) then the hibs / hearts of the world are suddenly behind the times (wait and see what dundee come up with). Rangers are in the shit anyway... the cost of gaffer tape at ibrox must be huge. Celtic realistically have a 'good enough' stadium (but could go round a stand at a time if they wanted to and have enough space around it too)

It's all down to getting the match day experience right and making it worth turning up that little bit earlier to partake. So - apart from the away bit you should be able to walk (internally) all the way round so if you are in the supporters bar but seated in the west you can walk round inside watching the game rather than having to walk round outside... that sort of attention to detail!

It's fun when attending non-league football where everyone just buggers off into the supporters club for a pint at half time. Something akin (beer outside the ground - or even pilot drinking inside again) would be awesome. To make it happen tho the ticketed entry has to be to the complex rather than the stadium.

While these are good points we have to be realistic in this day and age.

I don't see how it would be physically possible in terms of crowd segregation to be able to walk around in view of the pitch. I think the best solution would be supporters bars at say three stands used for home fans. More than anything I hope there is adequate facilities for drinking, but also families to spend time before the match, a selection restaurants/food court that is family friendly. And push people to get there early with events from noon onwards. Let the kids meet the players, or kick a few balls on a training pitch, meal, run around in a play area, game, then home etc.

Most of all I hope we take advantage of technology in this new build. In my opinion with the likes of Apple Pay, contactless payments, electronic season tickets etc it should be a cashless stadium. Purchases from he bars, restaurants, club shop etc should slowly add to your membership points etc.

We need to implement deals with who ever is running the shuttle buses, make things efficient so we can reduce queues.

I haven't looked at the plans and I'm sure details like this will be changed, but more than anything I think we must have adequate areas for fans to be dropped off by friends, relatives, taxis, autonomous cars etc. Aberdeen is a city that heavily uses cars (due to prosperity, working out with the city on industrial estates etc). I think car use is going to be bigger than we have allocated for. But I think with technology we can make it a good experience. In 15 years I want to fly in on my drone, get dropped off and it can fuck off for the match.

What I do find funny is those who are against it because it won't be perfect, with regards to transport there isn't a perfect stadium in the world and I don't think surpassing Pittodrie will be hard.

This is the biggest opportunity we have had as club for decades, I doubt it will be perfect but I hope we push the boat out, take a few risks and end up with what is a special experience and home in Scottish football.

• Upvote 3

@@Panda Are you another of these Canadian hearts fans?

Also why do you think that is a good analogy because (outwith small scale global expansion) they are extremely popular. Not something people don't try out and not return to?

A Tim Horton's recently opened in Glasgow. I'd never heard of it before, I've still never been. But when it did open there were queues round the corner long into the evening. Not just for one day, but for the first few weeks, because a few times I thought I may aswell see what the fuss was about, saw the queues and sacked it.

There are no more queues. The novelty has clearly worn off for many. They probably enjoyed it, but thought it was a bit pricey and is something they might go to now and again but not all the time.

However, we're all obsessed with Aberdeen, have been for years, which means rather than see Kingsford as some sort of novelty we try out then get bored of, we'll keep going.

Red Cafe 1-0 Tim Horton's.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A Tim Horton's recently opened in Glasgow. I'd never heard of it before, I've still never been. But when it did open there were queues round the corner long into the evening. Not just for one day, but for the first few weeks, because a few times I thought I may aswell see what the fuss was about, saw the queues and sacked it.

There are no more queues. The novelty has clearly worn off for many. They probably enjoyed it, but thought it was a bit pricey and is something they might go to now and again but not all the time.

However, we're all obsessed with Aberdeen, have been for years, which means rather than see Kingsford as some sort of novelty we try out then get bored of, we'll keep going.

Maybe a combination of novelty wearing off & also the time of year though.

Everywhere is quieter in late January & into February

Yep that's exactly what happened. Was packed when it first opened, pretty much empty every time I've passed since. See also Jamie Oliver's Italian place on george square.

I just hope that most if not all the catering establishments & watering holes in the complex are there as part of AFC & that the profits go to the club & not to independent businesses. Nothing against people trying to run a business but I would prefer the club tries to rake in the bulk of the profits from the support it attracts.

Hate paying for the shit catering at Pittodrie even more so knowing that it's not a club run catering business.

Nae been in one since I was about 12. Cinnamon bun was ok if I remember correctly. I think the weegie one is one of about 2 in the UK. It's an over priced Canadian Costa. Your analogy is only applicable to Glasgow in that case, therefore shite. It is interesting I guess as half the reason for the popularity in Canada is that he was an ice hockey star.

If the red cafe was run by Eion Jess it'd probably be 2-0 at least.

I don't want AFC to run the catering, likewise I don't want it run by Sodexo etc. Allow local businesses and companies who are experts in the field run the units to the maximum profit and take maximum rent. Apart from maybe the bars where it should be a simple operation to run.

I hope the house I rent out in Westhill goes up in value because of the stadium.

I am sure the rent prices will begin to climb again soon enough anyway but I am rather hoping the added boost of having a state of the art facility nearby to it will also help.

I need the extra income to fund my retirement & pay for sponge baths with extras ;)

• Downvote 1

While these are good points we have to be realistic in this day and age.

I don't see how it would be physically possible in terms of crowd segregation to be able to walk around in view of the pitch. I think the best solution would be supporters bars at say three stands used for home fans. More than anything I hope there is adequate facilities for drinking, but also families to spend time before the match, a selection restaurants/food court that is family friendly. And push people to get there early with events from noon onwards. Let the kids meet the players, or kick a few balls on a training pitch, meal, run around in a play area, game, then home etc.

Most of all I hope we take advantage of technology in this new build. In my opinion with the likes of Apple Pay, contactless payments, electronic season tickets etc it should be a cashless stadium. Purchases from he bars, restaurants, club shop etc should slowly add to your membership points etc.

We need to implement deals with who ever is running the shuttle buses, make things efficient so we can reduce queues.

I haven't looked at the plans and I'm sure details like this will be changed, but more than anything I think we must have adequate areas for fans to be dropped off by friends, relatives, taxis, autonomous cars etc. Aberdeen is a city that heavily uses cars (due to prosperity, working out with the city on industrial estates etc). I think car use is going to be bigger than we have allocated for. But I think with technology we can make it a good experience. In 15 years I want to fly in on my drone, get dropped off and it can fuck off for the match.

What I do find funny is those who are against it because it won't be perfect, with regards to transport there isn't a perfect stadium in the world and I don't think surpassing Pittodrie will be hard.

This is the biggest opportunity we have had as club for decades, I doubt it will be perfect but I hope we push the boat out, take a few risks and end up with what is a special experience and home in Scottish football.

Think your going to be disappointed mate . Im all for it but it will be done on the cheap

• Upvote 1

What you said there is out of the clubs control unfortunately. The supporters bar will be positioned so you have to leave the bar then enter through the turnstiles to see the game. There won't be access to it at half time etc. To have direct entry from the bar to the ground there would need to be legislation changes. As for walking right round the stadium there's no way they'll want people walking round from one end to the other along rows of seats. The concourses don't link up from stand to stand.