The Ryan Fraser Clause

I can't see Palace selling Zaha in this window after selling the young full back to Man United for £50m. Zaha is their star player, is on a long contract and Man United are due a large percentage of any transfer fee which was agreed when they sold Zaha back to Palace a few years ago.

I can see Palace holding out for £80m which I can't see Arsenal paying seeing as they finished outside of the CL places. Hopefully they turn their attention to the far cheaper option of Fraser.

Played 17 games in the Premier League at 26. And not in a 'he's 19 and just broke into the first team at Christmas and he's been starting 11 ever since' way. Just a few appearances over his 10 years as a pro while mostly playing in the lower divisions. £26m. Incredible. What would McKenna be worth if he was playing for a Championship team right now instead of us?

Played 17 games in the Premier League at 26. And not in a 'he's 19 and just broke into the first team at Christmas and he's been starting 11 ever since' way. Just a few appearances over his 10 years as a pro while mostly playing in the lower divisions. £26m. Incredible. What would McKenna be worth if he was playing for a Championship team right now instead of us?

That's the reason why we shouldn't ever sell to any team in Scotland if there is an option to sell to a guffy team.

John McGinn being touted at £40m after one season in the 2nd tier, he'd be lucky to be valued at 1/4 of that if he went to Celtic last summer.

• Upvote 1

He'd be worth the same.

Changing teams and/or leagues doesn't (on its' own) 'improve' a player.

Just because we pay less doesn't mean that we have to sell for less.

Silly money only.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i wasn't comparing McKenna to Mings, though.

My thinking was comparing selling McKenna to (say a) Celtic, to comparing selling him to the English Championship or English Premiership.

My point is that they shouldn't be different values.

(I wouldn't sell to Celtic btw.)

Put a price on him, and regardless of the buyer... that's it.

Not exactly the same, but if I'm selling my house (and I really don't need to sell) then my price is my price regardless of the buyer.

The buyer saying "Well, you don't make as much as me" doesn't and shouldn't have anything to do with it.

We (Aberdeen) have what you ('more money than sense' Guff teams) want (and need) so cough up the dough or no deal.

Can't agree Scotty. Having proved himself at a higher level, he'd be worth more.

Mings was a first pick for Villa from the minute he joined on loan. McKenna has Scotland caps for sure. But I'd suggest if Mings had a Scottish granny.....or even just once took a spoonful of haggis for a bet......that he would on that basis (Villa first pick) have been chosen for the Scotland squad on pretty much the first available chance. Whether he would have usurped McKenna from the starting slot you could debate, but Mings certainly played at a higher level domestically week in week out

This is what I was replying to...

A player (or anything for that matter) is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and there's English clubs (despite being able to afford a lot) that can't really afford to under-perform by missing out on promotion or (worse) getting relegated.

Ask the moon during a January window.

We just might get it.

Stuff like... "They're from Scotland and their record transfer fee was only 2M(?)" has nothing to do with anything.

If McKenna can play to his capabilities and stay injury free, and The Dons are challenging near the top, then there'll be plenty of great offers.

He'd be worth the same.

Changing teams and/or leagues doesn't (on its' own) 'improve' a player.

Just because we pay less doesn't mean that we have to sell for less.

Silly money only.

Doesn't improve a player's ability, but does increase their value. Playing ability is hard to judge, so clubs use proxies, like the level they play at.

I'm not really phased by some of the 100M transfer fees... however it's transfers like this, which make my jaw drop.  This boy wasn't good enough to play for Bournemouth in the EPL a year ago!  Looked out of his depth by all accounts.

I'm not really phased by some of the 100M transfer fees... however it's transfers like this, which make my jaw drop.  This boy wasn't good enough to play for Bournemouth in the EPL a year ago!  Looked out of his depth by all accounts.

cost Bournemouth 8 Million, 4 years back so they must have seen something in him  

Zaha is that oddity of a player seemingly happy playing in a team that he is ridiculously over talented for. Don’t suppose Arsenal would hold that greater an attraction for him. Up a level yes but wouldn’t even need to move house.

He’s no Matt Le Tissier though

i wasn't comparing McKenna to Mings, though.

My thinking was comparing selling McKenna to (say a) Celtic, to comparing selling him to the English Championship or English Premiership.

My point is that they shouldn't be different values.

(I wouldn't sell to Celtic btw.)

Put a price on him, and regardless of the buyer... that's it.

Not exactly the same, but if I'm selling my house (and I really don't need to sell) then my price is my price regardless of the buyer.

The buyer saying "Well, you don't make as much as me" doesn't and shouldn't have anything to do with it.

We (Aberdeen) have what you ('more money than sense' Guff teams) want (and need) so cough up the dough or no deal.

That’s all good and well, but that’s obviously an ideal scenario. The reality is that the Scottish market is cheaper and that’s been set by the quality of the league as well as the chairmen of our clubs. At the moment it looks like our board are doing the right thing and holding out for an offer that is good for us as a club and the player and not just dropping knickers when Celtic throw in one of their “fantastic offers” or whatever pish they came away with for Turnbull.

Imagine a scenario where the rulers of our game actually set the scheduling of matches so that our clubs can prepare for Europe properly then we progress more regularly and our players value rises and we don’t have to worry as much about players being undervalued in comparison to English lower leagues

He’s no Matt Le Tissier though

That’s all good and well, but that’s obviously an ideal scenario. The reality is that the Scottish market is cheaper and that’s been set by the quality of the league as well as the chairmen of our clubs. At the moment it looks like our board are doing the right thing and holding out for an offer that is good for us as a club and the player and not just dropping knickers when Celtic throw in one of their “fantastic offers” or whatever pish they came away with for Turnbull.

Imagine a scenario where the rulers of our game actually set the scheduling of matches so that our clubs can prepare for Europe properly then we progress more regularly and our players value rises and we don’t have to worry as much about players being undervalued in comparison to English lower leagues

#cans...or more likely, class A's