VAR in the SPFL

29 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Dreading this shite.

We're going to be fucked by it left, right and centre.

Probably.

It's how it's implemented that's key, not the technology itself. If you keep it simple, there's no issues. It's the inconsistency with someone in a room overstepping thier remit that's been it's problem to date. Ref should be solely to judge via the pitchside monitor. End of.

Offside decisions are baffling. Hopefully we don't see that carry on.

I think the whole implementation is wrong the final decision is the ref BUT he can abdicate that and ask a VAR ref to make the decision he doesn’t have to.  

as mentioned a challenge system is far better 1 or 2 per half 1 for added time. Get it back if you are right and the ref is wrong. This the ranks referees as well the more challenges against the mor negative points to the ref and allows demon toon and promotion. You are now improving referees instead of letting them off making a decision.  

only the captain can challenge. He also carries a var challenge card. He hands it over to make a challenge.  Gets it handed back if challenge succeeds ref keeps it if not.  Var will come down on refs side if it’s debatable ( they won’t want to impact a fellow ref) but if clear and obvious the come down on the players side

ref is allowed to cancel a review if there is foul and abusive language by fans during review after 1 verbal and one tannoyed warning

14 minutes ago, Bamber said:

I think the whole implementation is wrong the final decision is the ref BUT he can abdicate that and ask a VAR ref to make the decision he doesn’t have to.  

as mentioned a challenge system is far better 1 or 2 per half 1 for added time. Get it back if you are right and the ref is wrong. This the ranks referees as well the more challenges against the mor negative points to the ref and allows demon toon and promotion. You are now improving referees instead of letting them off making a decision.  

only the captain can challenge. He also carries a var challenge card. He hands it over to make a challenge.  Gets it handed back if challenge succeeds ref keeps it if not.  Var will come down on refs side if it’s debatable ( they won’t want to impact a fellow ref) but if clear and obvious the come down on the players side

ref is allowed to cancel a review if there is foul and abusive language by fans during review after 1 verbal and one tannoyed warning

Where is he going to keep it? Crack of his arse? 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Nope.

Just another layer for them to fuck us over with.

I don't see it that way. 

Referees constantly give decisions based on bias, obscured views, crowd and player reactions etc. 

If they're forced to go watch a replay then they have zero excuse for not making a more informed decision, regardless of the thousands of baying Huns that would ordinarily influence the decision. 

5 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I don't see it that way. 

Referees constantly give decisions based on bias, obscured views, crowd and player reactions etc. 

If they're forced to go watch a replay then they have zero excuse for not making a more informed decision, regardless of the thousands of baying Huns that would ordinarily influence the decision. 

Doesn’t matter if the guy on VAR is a hun. 

He just gets in refs & says ‘nope nothing to see here, you made right call, carry on’

I’ve no idea if there’s figures from England yet to back this up.  My PERCEPTION is that good players will attract more fouls than they’ll commit.  One would think VAR decisions would reflect that.

I completely accept this won’t apply if good players start / continue to act the cunt with diving and so forth.  Hopefully VAR and stronger refereeing will help to sort that out.

2 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Doesn’t matter if the guy on VAR is a hun. 

He just gets in refs & says ‘nope nothing to see here, you made right call, carry on’

The footage will later be viewed by everyone in the country, and the BitB is then going to have to explain why, even with VAR, he couldn't see what everyone else in the country could see.  As it stands they have plausible deniability, "Didn't see it, my bad. Whoopsie. Still, Sevco/Celtic have the points now, so nothing to be done." VAR removes that plausible deniability. 

It puts them in a much harder and more exposed position, and that only helps the shite teams such as ourselves. 

20 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The footage will later be viewed by everyone in the country, and the BitB is then going to have to explain why, even with VAR, he couldn't see what everyone else in the country could see.  As it stands they have plausible deniability, "Didn't see it, my bad. Whoopsie. Still, Sevco/Celtic have the points now, so nothing to be done." VAR removes that plausible deniability. 

It puts them in a much harder and more exposed position, and that only helps the shite teams such as ourselves. 

Bang on.  Harder to justify an 'honest mistake ' after you've watched 20 replays.

5 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Don’t agree with the last bit.  Better players will benefit.  Yes we might get the crucial one offs we weren’t getting before for the reasons you state but I’d expect them to be getting far far more.  The old getting in their faces, getting in about them, let them know they’re in a game…just can’t see VAR being sympathetic to that.

Hope I’m wrong.

Unless they get foreign refs in to operate the system then the likes of us will continue to be fucked over.  Any goal against the huns will be pored over looking for the slightest infringement in the build up whereas all but the most blatant breaking of the rules for their goals will be ignored

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So it’s well documented that Ref’s get influenced by large crowds (have a look at some of the stats for matches played in empty stadiums during lockdown) - I think VAR will help negate some of this so I’m expecting us to probably be better off against the cheeks and away games in Edinburgh but worse off in most other matches. I’m actually quite surprised the cheeks didn’t try and block it - thought they would for this reason. Probably too dumb to realise or they have something else up their sleeves like others have said…

2 hours ago, Millertime said:

Ours is a "diet" version, eh?

What does that actually mean?

There's obviously no big screen, but is there a pitch side monitor?

And no fancy "countless views with lines drawn", is it literally just watching a sportscene style replay?

Doesn’t matter what version we have.

If the referees using it are corrupt or inept, then it’ll just lead to the same controversies, only magnified because they don’t have the excuse of getting one view in real time. 

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Ours is a "diet" version, eh?

What does that actually mean?

There's obviously no big screen, but is there a pitch side monitor?

And no fancy "countless views with lines drawn", is it literally just watching a sportscene style replay?

I think it’s on an iPad rather than a screen. No doubt someone will forget the passcode. 

• Haha 1