VAR in the SPFL

1st dont play a goalie as captain.

"but nobody that I could see called for it ........."

so why are we worried about things that no player was worried about - VAR should be used to correct events that people think were wrong . if no one thought it was wrong why we correcting it

limited no of calls works in tennis - you use your calls tactically - give too many calls it becomes disruptive - how many call are we getting a half? I would say 4 is at the higher end of the amount so 2 per team is about right . if you run out of calls well you should trust the refs - if you got it right you keep your 2 calls it aint hard

the reason for an on field player to do it is you would just have a mini VAR review for each team trying to call play back all the time 

to me if a player isnt bothered then why should we be.    If your captain is too far from the action - pick a captain that can make a decision. if the captain is influenced to easily to make incorrect call - pick a better captain 

Westhill I have no problem you thinking it unworkable - give us a clue why

38 minutes ago, Bamber said:

so why are we worried about things that no player was worried about - VAR should be used to correct events that people think were wrong . if no one thought it was wrong why we correcting it

limited no of calls works in tennis - you use your calls tactically - give too many calls it becomes disruptive - how many call are we getting a half? I would say 4 is at the higher end of the amount so 2 per team is about right . if you run out of calls well you should trust the refs - if you got it right you keep your 2 calls it aint hard

the reason for an on field player to do it is you would just have a mini VAR review for each team trying to call play back all the time 

to me if a player isnt bothered then why should we be.    If your captain is too far from the action - pick a captain that can make a decision. if the captain is influenced to easily to make incorrect call - pick a better captain 

You're making it worse here.

You can't dictate to team which players they shouldn't make captain because of VAR. Fans will influence any player, no matter who it is. Particularly if that player doesn't have the best view.

Maybe nobody thought Holt handballed it at full speed, but on review he did, therefore an incorrect onfield decision was corrected and that was in our favour. Surely you'd be pissed if we didn't claim for it abd therefore it wasn't reviewed when in actual fact it was a clear penalty?

The point of VAR is to help the refs, so putting our trust in them is counter productive in this case.

It is very effective in tennis, but it's a different sport so can't be directly applied. It's also only for ball in or out, there is much more in football.

I've typed all of this and realise you must be trolling.

not trolling at all I dont like what we are doing with VAR at all

We should use it for PLAYERS to ask the refs to look again at decisions as they make them. 

We shouldnt be having refs ask refs to look at their decisions  and know they are weak refs can let other refs do their job

We shouldnt have to wait for two or three phases to have occured before pulling back to the first phase

We shouldnt wait 4 minutes for a review of a clear and obvious error

We shouldnt have a reveiw of a clear and obvious error that doesnt give a clear and obvious answer. we are replacing a questionable decision with a different questionable decision- so we look at a penalty because it might be and come up with an answer that it might be - how does that help anyone?

VAR decisons -shouldnt need an appeals process. the appeals process is 3 look at it well guess what the VAR review has 3 look at it

you say tennis VAR is good for tennis and this is Football VAR and so is different

well to me football VAR doesnt work - so try a different method

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

Motherwell’s captain is Liam Kelly. A goalie.

How, in 10 seconds, is he supposed to tell the referee to go to VAR for a Motherwell penalty, when he’s 100 yards away & had the worst view of it on the pitch? 

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

not trolling at all I dont like what we are doing with VAR at all

We should use it for PLAYERS to ask the refs to look again at decisions as they make them. 

We shouldnt be having refs ask refs to look at their decisions  and know they are weak refs can let other refs do their job

We shouldnt have to wait for two or three phases to have occured before pulling back to the first phase

We shouldnt wait 4 minutes for a review of a clear and obvious error

We shouldnt have a reveiw of a clear and obvious error that doesnt give a clear and obvious answer. we are replacing a questionable decision with a different questionable decision- so we look at a penalty because it might be and come up with an answer that it might be - how does that help anyone?

VAR decisons -shouldnt need an appeals process. the appeals process is 3 look at it well guess what the VAR review has 3 look at it

you say tennis VAR is good for tennis and this is Football VAR and so is different

well to me football VAR doesnt work - so try a different method

Why should we give players the ability to ask for a check when every incident is already checked though? That just doesn't make sense and is a backwards step surely?

The point is that the refs claim they can't get the calls right 100% of the time so the video assistant is there for anything they miss/get incorrect on the field.

I think there are things wrong with it too. The time involved like you say is nonsense. In my opinion if VAR thinks a decision is wrong that should be it, no point in giving the on field ref a chance to review, just change it. That would speed it up.

The tennis hawkeye is good but it's very different from football because of the nature of the decisions, surely you understand that? 

We're obviously not going to agree, but I genuinely can see no merit what so ever in giving a captain or player the responsibility of appealing the on field decision

There really hasn't been anything controversial with VAR so far. People are just looking for reasons to have a go at it. 

It has improved the consistency of decision making, but some people have problem with this. So the game is stopped for a few minutes - so what? Most of the time this is for a significant event, surely we can put up with a few minutes if it means an incorrectly disallowed goal is given  or a penalty missed by the ref is awarded? 

16 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

There really hasn't been anything controversial with VAR so far. People are just looking for reasons to have a go at it. 

It has improved the consistency of decision making, but some people have problem with this. So the game is stopped for a few minutes - so what? Most of the time this is for a significant event, surely we can put up with a few minutes if it means an incorrectly disallowed goal is given  or a penalty missed by the ref is awarded? 

Is there not a VAR watch every week on Sportscene?

Hasnt Tony Watt had a succesfull appeal?

Hasnt Grant had an unsuccessful Appeal?

Havent Celtic put in an official question about handball twice and an offside call?

Hasnt Duk been accused of cheating by the Assistant of other club?

hope it never get controversial

7 hours ago, Bamber said:

From the very first time this was discussed I've advocated a system similar to tennis. The captain has 2 VAR calls per half and 1 per half in extra time. VAR calls dont carry (if you havent used VAR all match you dont have 6 calls in the second half of extra time - only 1)

Captain MUST make a VAR call within 10 seconds of the event UNLESS it is severe foul play against the captain when a ref makes the decision. We dont want a video review team for each side reviewing something 5 times then telling the captain to call back play from 3 mins ago

Any decision can be VAR called

Any player but the captain requesting a VAR call is yellow carded
Any staff member making a VAR call to any official including the 4th official is red carded and banned for the next game

if VAR is succesful you get it back 
if VAR is unsuccesful you - lose a VAR call, opposition get a free kick from anywhere in the centre circle  

let refs make decisions, give the captain responsibility to call out the ref if they think he is wrong -respectfully

so what if the captain has no VAR calls left and then there is an obvious error? Well the captain has already had two bites of the cherry - in those two times the captain was wrong OR the ref was actually right so sorry tough the captain wasted two calls

we are seeing loads of pens by VAR - often no one was claiming them - and then also often they are not clear

A MINIMUM 8 VAR calls a game on the whim of players. No thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I'd argue that point. I'd say a lot of the handball penalties that have been given go against the IFAB laws of the game. 

Barron, Bernabei, Richardson are 3 straight off the bat. The St Mirren goal thwt was chalked off for a "foul" 30 seconds before a goal was scored.

VAR has the potential to be really good for the game but not in the manner it's being used in. 

One thing I would say is that St Mirren goal that was chalked off was for a foul that absolutely nobody in the stadium shouted for. Nobody in the dugout shouted for it. But VAR can intervene. But Hearts opener last weekend against Motherwell was scored directly from a corner that was incorrectly awarded. As it should have been a goal kick. But VAR can't get involved in the award of a corner kick. Hardly fair is it? Why do we have to accept that referees can make mistakes in some aspects of a match but not others? 

39 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Celtic had an onside goal classed as offside

We got a penalty for duk which wasn't one

There's 2 right away

• Dildo 2
7 hours ago, Bamber said:

From the very first time this was discussed I've advocated a system similar to tennis. The captain has 2 VAR calls per half and 1 per half in extra time. 

Nah. I think the tennis system is even stupid for tennis. Takes but a few seconds to determine whether the ball was in or out in a close call. By the time they've played the next point if the call on the previous point was incorrect they can easily adjust the score. Line judge just needs to keep his mouth shut unless certain the ball is out.

For football it just wouldn't work.

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, Roberto said:

So after the last few weeks, how we feeling about this now?

Shambolic.

Numerous decisions STILL clearly wrong.

A few not referred to the on field referee when they should. 

We have the cheap version that doesn’t give all the angles required. 

The bottom line is, it’s not VAR that’s the issue though. 

The issue is we still have the same inept (cheats) who are using it. 

Revisit the thread in 2025, & the Huns still won’t have conceded a penalty. 

The thing is because we have the "cheap" version we only have 5 cameras in grounds so fewer angles to those abroad so sometimes fouls and tight offsides are difficult to pick up and as has been mentioned when playing the OF they get the benefit of the doubt nearly every time.  But i guess having more cameras makes little difference when you have bias officials.  

One other thing from a fans point of view; I think that the clubs should all have to have a screen inside Premiership stadiums to let fans know what is going on, currently only half the league has one. I realise it costs money but we have to try to keep our game moving with the rest.  

I don't know if its been mentioned yet but the fact that goal line technology was used on Sunday also saved us, if it had been a tight call in a league game you can bet your last penny the ref would award them a goal.

7 minutes ago, englishred said:

The thing is because we have the "cheap" version we only have 5 cameras in grounds so fewer angles to those abroad so sometimes fouls and tight offsides are difficult to pick up and as has been mentioned when playing the OF they get the benefit of the doubt nearly every time.  But i guess having more cameras makes little difference when you have bias officials.  

One other thing from a fans point of view; I think that the clubs should all have to have a screen inside Premiership stadiums to let fans know what is going on, currently only half the league has one. I realise it costs money but we have to try to keep our game moving with the rest.  

I don't know if its been mentioned yet but the fact that goal line technology was used on Sunday also saved us, if it had been a tight call in a league game you can bet your last penny the ref would award them a goal.

The Morelos header was nowhere near over the line.

Even a hun ref couldn’t possibly have given that. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Shambolic.

Numerous decisions STILL clearly wrong.

A few not referred to the on field referee when they should. 

We have the cheap version that doesn’t give all the angles required. 

The bottom line is, it’s not VAR that’s the issue though. 

The issue is we still have the same inept (cheats) who are using it. 

Revisit the thread in 2025, & the Huns still won’t have conceded a penalty. 

When the league chase is completely done a couple of penalties against the Huns will be allowed- got to balance up the statistics by the end of the season.

9 hours ago, King Street Loon said:

It's a shambles.

No faith that the correct decisions are being made, as I don't think the refs in this country are competent enough.

The fact is they are basically amateur referees although they are paid a fair whack per game.

Until we have a professional referee service that's their full time employment and they're an independent body they'll never be held accountable.

11 hours ago, englishred said:

You have to love it in europe when there are neutral officials and there are pens given at ibrox 

Are there stats available that show the pens conceded by teams at their home grounds? 

be interesting to see if der Hun’s is as non existent as we make out