VAR in the SPFL

4 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Doesn’t matter what version we have.

If the referees using it are corrupt or inept, then it’ll just lead to the same controversies, only magnified because they don’t have the excuse of getting one view in real time. 

Rrrrright, ok

Anyway

Ours is a "diet" version, eh?

What does that actually mean?

There's obviously no big screen, but is there a pitch side monitor?

And no fancy "countless views with lines drawn", is it literally just watching a sportscene style replay?

The VAR video referee still has to tell the main ref that there's an issue.

That's not going to happen when, the video ref is Old Firm (OF) biased, the ref themselves is OF biased and the crowd is largely OF biased. 

What we will get are bizarre off-side decisions between the lesser teams (including us ?) when the sun shines on the sensors, the rain blocks the view or when a striker is a baw hair aff side.

VAR in short will be another reason why football is shite.  

Bet we have to pay the same money as the OF to use it though!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

The VAR video referee still has to tell the main ref that there's an issue.

That's not going to happen when, the video ref is Old Firm (OF) biased, the ref themselves is OF biased and the crowd is largely OF biased. 

What we will get are bizarre off-side decisions between the lesser teams (including us ?) when the sun shines on the sensors, the rain blocks the view or when a striker is a baw hair aff side.

VAR in short will be another reason why football is shite.  

Bet we have to pay the same money as the OF to use it though!

Och shoosh,  honestly

This country 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, The Cockney Don said:

Arm in an unnatural position, Penalty.

That fat hun bastard Beaton is looking straight at it.

He shouldn’t even need VAR 

Cheating cunt shouldn’t be let near any hun matches. He can’t help himself.

The cunt is refereeing our game against the Huns at Pittodrie too. He was supposed to referee the postponed game so he’ll probably still be ref. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That fat hun bastard Beaton is looking straight at it.

He shouldn’t even need VAR 

Cheating cunt shouldn’t be let near any hun matches. He can’t help himself.

The cunt is refereeing our game against the Huns at Pittodrie too. He was supposed to referee the postponed game so he’ll probably still be ref. 

Did VAR look at this?
If they didn’t it shows that they can still ignore anything they want.

On 9/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, Millertime said:

Rrrrright, ok

Anyway

Ours is a "diet" version, eh?

What does that actually mean?

There's obviously no big screen, but is there a pitch side monitor?

And no fancy "countless views with lines drawn", is it literally just watching a sportscene style replay?

No goal-line technology for a start

To my mind, getting flagged offside because an arm is in an "offside" position is just bizarre. You can't use your arms so their position should be irrelevant. Left up to me, I'd revise the rules so that there has to be a clear space between the attacker and defender so that trying to play offside becomes a very risky tactic for defending sides.

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Not sure, regardless, it’s blatant cheating when you see the other penalties given 

The Rangers haven’t had a domestic penalty given against them 

Happened to notice on the highlights that the handball given against Livingston, the boy has a full handful of Miovski's shirt.  Would that have been given?  To my knowledge theres been what seems like umpteen unintentional handballs (apart from THEIR one, obviously) but Im not aware of any yet for shit-housing in the box at corners, free kicks etc.

Also noticed in the build up to that penalty the Livvie boy's cross is one of those one foot behind the other jobs.  20 minutes in and Livvie are playing with flair - fucking melt them!

44 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Happened to notice on the highlights that the handball given against Livingston, the boy has a full handful of Miovski's shirt.  Would that have been given?  To my knowledge theres been what seems like umpteen unintentional handballs (apart from THEIR one, obviously) but Im not aware of any yet for shit-housing in the box at corners, free kicks etc.

Also noticed in the build up to that penalty the Livvie boy's cross is one of those one foot behind the other jobs.  20 minutes in and Livvie are playing with flair - fucking melt them!

Aye, my perception is they’re giving just about every handball (as you set, NOT against the scum).

And the trick is “the rabona”. 

2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Yeah but pleading to the referee that the handball wasn't intentional because you had a handful of your opponents shirt in violation of the rules, is perhaps not a very solid argument. 

7 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

VAR (not) in operation at the bastard garden. 
Blatant handball not reviewed. 
This is more of a penalty than the one we conceded at Livi….

Fuck the SFA. 

If you watch it from a different angle (as Ewen Cameron showed on twitter) you can actually see it hits his face. 

He also posted the IFAB rules on handball which also show the one against Barron shouldn't have been given. 

Seems refs are ducking out of making decisions themselves and hoping VAR bails them out. I'd fine them for every blatent foul they miss and VAR has to intervene. 

44 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

If you watch it from a different angle (as Ewen Cameron showed on twitter) you can actually see it hits his face. 

He also posted the IFAB rules on handball which also show the one against Barron shouldn't have been given. 

Seems refs are ducking out of making decisions themselves and hoping VAR bails them out. I'd fine them for every blatent foul they miss and VAR has to intervene. 

I’ll take your word on the angle thing, fair enough - Beaton is still a hun bastard though, that’ll never change. 

It’s pretty fucking desperate when the VAR folk don’t know (or understand) the IFAB laws.

Surely they constantly review their decisions & privately tell the refs/VAR men they’ve got it wrong. 

6 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

No goal-line technology for a start

To my mind, getting flagged offside because an arm is in an "offside" position is just bizarre. You can't use your arms so their position should be irrelevant. Left up to me, I'd revise the rules so that there has to be a clear space between the attacker and defender so that trying to play offside becomes a very risky tactic for defending sides.

Define "clear space "

39 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’ll take your word on the angle thing, fair enough - Beaton is still a hun bastard though, that’ll never change. 

It’s pretty fucking desperate when the VAR folk don’t know (or understand) the IFAB laws.

Surely they constantly review their decisions & privately tell the refs/VAR men they’ve got it wrong. 

It's Crawford Allan that's the head of referees. He's worse than a blind man picking out his favourite scudbook. 

The problem with VAR is that now VAR is having to re-referee games because the actual refs seem shit scared to make a decision. By my counting I make it that Nick Walsh has failed to give 5 penalties that VAR has had to step in on. 4 of them for handball. Now admittedly i think that only 2 of them should have been penalties. But when you have referees being told to go to a monitor they are looking for a reason to give it. Referees should be mic'd like they are in Rugby. They should be made to make an on field decision. So if they say their on-field decision is no penalty then they have to find clear evidence of a handball and have to re-cite the rules proving they were wrong to then give the penalty. Same if they say their on field decision is a penalty. Right now you have 2 cunts talking to each other and no cunt knows what's being said. They could be making shit up as they go. Well I think they actually are tbh.

3 hours ago, Millertime said:

Define "clear space "

I'd have the VAR show 2 lines in different colours, one showing the hindmost part of the attacker and the same for the defender. The VAR picture would have to show grass in between the 2 lines drawn between attacker and defender for the attacker to be offside.

If the 2 lines overlap, no matter by how little, the attacker is onside

They can do this in a similar fashion at Wimbledon, showing whether a ball is out by the width of a blade of grass so it must be possible in football too

• Upvote 2

From the very first time this was discussed I've advocated a system similar to tennis. The captain has 2 VAR calls per half and 1 per half in extra time. VAR calls dont carry (if you havent used VAR all match you dont have 6 calls in the second half of extra time - only 1)

Captain MUST make a VAR call within 10 seconds of the event UNLESS it is severe foul play against the captain when a ref makes the decision. We dont want a video review team for each side reviewing something 5 times then telling the captain to call back play from 3 mins ago

Any decision can be VAR called

Any player but the captain requesting a VAR call is yellow carded
Any staff member making a VAR call to any official including the 4th official is red carded and banned for the next game

if VAR is succesful you get it back 
if VAR is unsuccesful you - lose a VAR call, opposition get a free kick from anywhere in the centre circle  

let refs make decisions, give the captain responsibility to call out the ref if they think he is wrong -respectfully

so what if the captain has no VAR calls left and then there is an obvious error? Well the captain has already had two bites of the cherry - in those two times the captain was wrong OR the ref was actually right so sorry tough the captain wasted two calls

we are seeing loads of pens by VAR - often no one was claiming them - and then also often they are not clear

• Dildo 1
20 minutes ago, Bamber said:

From the very first time this was discussed I've advocated a system similar to tennis. The captain has 2 VAR calls per half and 1 per half in extra time. VAR calls dont carry (if you havent used VAR all match you dont have 6 calls in the second half of extra time - only 1)

Captain MUST make a VAR call within 10 seconds of the event UNLESS it is severe foul play against the captain when a ref makes the decision. We dont want a video review team for each side reviewing something 5 times then telling the captain to call back play from 3 mins ago

Any staff member making a VAR call to any official including the 4th official is red carded and banned for the next game

if VAR is unsuccesful you - lose a VAR call, opposition get a free kick from anywhere in the centre circle  

let refs make decisions, give the captain responsibility to call out the ref if they think he is wrong -respectfully

so what if the captain has no VAR calls left and then there is an obvious error? Well the captain has already had two bites of the cherry - in those two times the captain was wrong OR the ref was actually right so sorry tough the captain wasted two calls

we are seeing loads of pens by VAR - often no one was claiming them - and then also often they are not clear

I'm not on board with that at all. How does Joe Lewis (when he was on the field as captain) determine that the Duk incident against Hibs should be reviewed other than seeing the crowd behind the goal go mental, which they do all the time anything happens to try and con the ref. So our own fans could influence our captain into making a wrong call. Also, genuine incidents would still be missed. The pen we got the other night for example. It was a penalty, but nobody that I could see called for it  but VAR picked it up. You're at risk of blatant decisions going against us because we've run out of calls based on fan emotions in a game.

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

No offence, but it’s unworkable