January Transfer Window 😂

Toondon

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Watching that last night, it isn't really a 4-2-3-1 is it?  Most of the time it's a 4-5-1, at times one full back goes forward the other shuffles in and gives us 3 at the back again, the man is absolutely obsessed by it.  I also don't think we'll continue to get away with shoehorning 5 central midfielders into the side each week. 

I'm not convinced we are/were a back 3 at all last night. I will concede that our midfield doesn't work. We need two wide creative players and controversially I actually think McGrath is better in the forward position instead of Clarkson. We are shoehorning players into that side/midfield.

24 minutes ago, NEM said:

Pretty sure we reverted to 3 at the back when we made the double substitution.  He's a fucking clown

We didn't, what they did do was first half seem to use Mackenzie as more of an outlet on the left then secomd half was more Devlin, but the sides so narrow it's unbelievable has Robson been trying tactics on FIFA where the narrow formations work best haha.

For me it was a 3 when the full.back pushed up with other than Barron the rest all seemed to interchange especially Polvara in the 2nd half, don't think it works, too many passing triangles and not enough penetration in the side, No1 will take on a man and beat them, I think Devlin did twice and Duk once, horrendous football to watch, when the instruction from the bench is pass it inside rather than take on a man.

THE more and more I hear  the "Assistant" has too much influence on this side. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, shooftahmooftah said:

It’s the same every year, they drag it on till the end of the window, then come out with the statement of excuses why they failed to sign anyone. 

It’s because everyone in football knows their is no value in January window! It’s for the desperate 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Just now, The Gee Man said:

It’s because everyone in football knows their is no value in January window! It’s for the desperate 

This is the worst year I can remember, not many moves and if the big sides don't make moves it stagnates the market. 

Only thing you might see is some loans for Saudi based players where the wives are unhappy ( there alot it seems) or players that want a game in a Europ Champ year. 

35 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

I'm not convinced we are/were a back 3 at all last night. I will concede that our midfield doesn't work. We need two wide creative players and controversially I actually think McGrath is better in the forward position instead of Clarkson. We are shoehorning players into that side/midfield.

It was a 4 but in possession as one fullback pushed up the opposite one tucked in creating the 3.

11 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

This is the worst year I can remember, not many moves and if the big sides don't make moves it stagnates the market. 

Only thing you might see is some loans for Saudi based players where the wives are unhappy ( there alot it seems) or players that want a game in a Europ Champ year. 

I think the Everton situation has scared clubs! Not in our league obviously but it’s a trickle effect 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, minijc said:

It was a 4 but in possession as one fullback pushed up the opposite one tucked in creating the 3.

There's nothing abnormal about that.

Glass used to send both full backs forward, leaving our defence brutally exposed on the counter. It's why teams would get 3 shots and score twice.

McInnes used to send both forward - quite often Considine would cross for Logan or vice versa. But he had midfielder sitting in front that rarely left his half.

54 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

There's nothing abnormal about that.

Glass used to send both full backs forward, leaving our defence brutally exposed on the counter. It's why teams would get 3 shots and score twice.

McInnes used to send both forward - quite often Considine would cross for Logan or vice versa. But he had midfielder sitting in front that rarely left his half.

I never said it was abnormal but it just shows how obsessed he is with it, wouldn't be so bad if we weren't playing against some absolute shite like Clyde. 

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, minijc said:

I never said it was abnormal but it just shows how obsessed he is with it, wouldn't be so bad if we weren't playing against some absolute shite like Clyde. 

You're not concerned but you brought it up? It's the nature of the beast in football people cover positions or hang back when the team breaks forward?

I don't really understand your point or frustration over a player covering for another. 

We fully agree that we need wingers and that the current midfield doesn't work. I'm just now sure that you need to have a bee in your bonnet re this. 

9 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

You're not concerned but you brought it up? It's the nature of the beast in football people cover positions or hang back when the team breaks forward?

I don't really understand your point or frustration over a player covering for another. 

We fully agree that we need wingers and that the current midfield doesn't work. I'm just now sure that you need to have a bee in your bonnet re this. 

There are ways and means to do it, his obsession with going to a 3 will be the end of him (hopefully) as better teams will exploit us.

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Where your back line is positioned when you're in possession is more important. I'd like to see ours a bit further forward, I think they sit too deep.  Pushing up would help us in the press when we do lose the ball as there's too much space between our lines at the moment. 

In that case you need center halves with a bit of pace or a goalie that can play as sweeper 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, minijc said:

I wasn't implying you thought it abnormal,  but given loads of managers have one full back hanging back when the other goes forward. It's hardly indicative of an obsession with the back 3.

As for doing ir against shite like Clyde, I'm not concerned in the slightest. If we're working into a new formation, it's ideal to work on the ideas in training then have a relatively easy game to try them out.

The ball rarely left the deck the whole match,  we played a back 4 so people are focusing on when the subs came on (I agree I'd have changed a couple at 60 minutes) and the fact leaving a full back behind when we're attacking  with 2 centre backs adds up to 3.

47 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

I wasn't implying you thought it abnormal,  but given loads of managers have one full back hanging back when the other goes forward. It's hardly indicative of an obsession with the back 3.

As for doing ir against shite like Clyde, I'm not concerned in the slightest. If we're working into a new formation, it's ideal to work on the ideas in training then have a relatively easy game to try them out.

The ball rarely left the deck the whole match,  we played a back 4 so people are focusing on when the subs came on (I agree I'd have changed a couple at 60 minutes) and the fact leaving a full back behind when we're attacking  with 2 centre backs adds up to 3.

It was more the shift over to make the 3 as it ends up pushing Gartenmann further to the left which is obviously natural, he's just not good on that side for me, so the fear for me is against better opposition.

The subs is a concern and not because of last night but because of how often he's doing that, if last night was a one off I wouldn't be concerned but that's a good few times this season where he's been reluctant to use them, it's poor game management.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, minijc said:

It was more the shift over to make the 3 as it ends up pushing Gartenmann further to the left which is obviously natural, he's just not good on that side for me, so the fear for me is against better opposition.

The subs is a concern and not because of last night but because of how often he's doing that, if last night was a one off I wouldn't be concerned but that's a good few times this season where he's been reluctant to use them, it's poor game management.

He’s a fucking idiot who shouldn’t be managing Aberdeen.

We’re treading water until we get a proper manager in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6
1 hour ago, minijc said:

There are ways and means to do it, his obsession with going to a 3 will be the end of him (hopefully) as better teams will exploit us.

We'll agree to disagree. For me it had nothing to do with wanting to go to a 3. It's a simple defensive trait. If one full back goes forward the other hangs back and can help cover.

If it was the same situation where Glass couldn't understand that a simple diagonal ball over the top cut us wide open due to BOTH the full backs pushing forward I could understand your concern but its not. 

Just give us a name or two that I can Google.....

• Upvote 1

also its worth noting that if we signed 'wingers' its a fundamental change to the current style of play as yesterday was still the same style of play as we have seen previously just with a 4 at the back whether its 3 or 4 at the back we lack seem to lack quality in the final 3rd, its just lucky we have a goalscorer otherwise i think Robson wouldnt be in a job. 

5 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

We'll agree to disagree. For me it had nothing to do with wanting to go to a 3. It's a simple defensive trait. If one full back goes forward the other hangs back and can help cover.

If it was the same situation where Glass couldn't understand that a simple diagonal ball over the top cut us wide open due to BOTH the full backs pushing forward I could understand your concern but its not. 

Just give us a name or two that I can Google.....

It brings other problems, especially when it looks like last night each half had a different focus on which full back spent more time forward.  if we continue to tuck have one tucking in we'll get caught too narrow at the back, a smart enough game plan from the opposition will see that butchered.

Clayton Taylor who has already been mentioned, he would help with our lack of wingers.

30 minutes ago, minijc said:

It brings other problems, especially when it looks like last night each half had a different focus on which full back spent more time forward.  if we continue to tuck have one tucking in we'll get caught too narrow at the back, a smart enough game plan from the opposition will see that butchered.

Clayton Taylor who has already been mentioned, he would help with our lack of wingers.

Realistic/substance to this or is he a random that people have been branding about?

32 minutes ago, minijc said:

The fear with the wingers is that he’s try’s to revert back to a 5 and use them as wingbacks instead of actual wingers. 

6 hours ago, Dandys1983 said:

There will be a domino effect if a player moves soon, like Southampton fans saying with Guedes moving to Spain opens the door for Che Adams to Wolves and Miovski to them! hopefully not 

Loan wise, I've heard nothing on loans just 2 permanent  signings that if the cant get over line then thats it, but latest update was (as ive said above) that a player or players require to move (at other clubs) for us to get one of the players we are after and how Jan is going so far with activity everywhere i wouldn't say personally i was hopeful. 

Are you still persisting wae this “I know things” act? 

2 hours ago, minijc said:

Even after a win and a decent performance I think your just clutching at straws now looking for something to pick holes in. 

If we are going to play 4231 we need a right winger who can go straight into the team as Morris is no where near good enough, Duncan looked ok out there but hardly gets a look in and besuijen is so far out of the picture he really has to leave even tho he would do a decent job on the right I think. 

8 minutes ago, thurso said:

Even after a win and a decent performance I think your just clutching at straws now looking for something to pick holes in. 

If we are going to play 4231 we need a right winger who can go straight into the team as Morris is no where near good enough, Duncan looked ok out there but hardly gets a look in and besuijen is so far out of the picture he really has to leave even tho he would do a decent job on the right I think. 

Decent performance is a bit of a stretch, we done what was needed but again it showed up issues, Clyde are fucking rancid.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think we're the only top tier team not to bring someone in now? 

I can't see us going the entire window without anyone coming in. 

We do seem to take longer than others to make our moves in January though. Or maybe it just feels like that every year. 

8 hours ago, shooftahmooftah said:

It’s the same every year, they drag it on till the end of the window, then come out with the statement of excuses why they failed to sign anyone. 

Looking at Robson ball & listening to his interviews, I very much doubt that there are many players fighting to get moves to Aberdeen until all other potential options are exhausted.

Robson had an advantage in summer after the 3rd place finish & not having played his Robson ball pish so much. Potential signings hadn’t seen the real Robson by summer.

since the arrogant stubborn cunt got the job ft he’s shown his arse as a shite cunt

1 hour ago, thurso said:

LOL

1 hour ago, minijc said:

Decent performance is a bit of a stretch, we done what was needed but again it showed up issues, Clyde are fucking rancid.

I know this is probably for a different thread but I have watched us be pretty good in some games and atrocious in others, last night I’d say is somewhere in the middle so I’d say decent.