Pet Hates

StandFree1982

24 minutes ago, CCB III said:

1.) Why is it needless? Does anyone need to go anywhere? Every holiday anyone takes is "needless?" Taking a van will have been much more environmentally friendly than all the planes they'd have had to get. They aren't trying to "stop" individuals using diesel, they are being disruptive to make a wider point, that the means by which we use oil, petrol etc is not sustainable. But if you want to get around, anywhere, you'll probably have to use those means- as they are so intertwined with how we transport ourselves. The overarching point is that the ubiquitous nature of fossil fuels, is damaging. They aren't saying "don't drive your car" they are saying "there must be a better way than this."

2.) I never said I wanted private landlords to get government subsidies. I simply said for the point they were making, it makes total sense that the people saying it cost too much to insulate- don't have their homes insulated. LOL. 

To add, the private housing market isn't going anywhere so I wouldn't mind if government subsidised private landlords to insulate their properties- making it cheaper for the tenants who'll be paying the heating bills. 

Your POV is essentially 

"I think society should change"

"yes, but you are participating in society"

Don't make no sense mate. 

No offence, but that's a load of shite. 

You don't need to travel around the world, 99.9% of the population will ever have that chance, so there is no need for you to commit to ruining their environment more for your own pleasure, if you pretend to care about it. 

Likewise with insulation, sell one property to insulate others, earn less and live with in your means. 

1 minute ago, Redforever86 said:

No offence, but that's a load of shite. 

You don't need to travel around the world, 99.9% of the population will ever have that chance, so there is no need for you to commit to ruining their environment more for your own pleasure, if you pretend to care about it. 

Likewise with insulation, sell one property to insulate others, earn less and live with in your means. 

You're right, nobody needs to do anything. You should only travel to your work, the shops, and home. Everything else is superfluous. Why ever take a holiday? Why see the world in a van (probs not even close to as bad for the environment as taking a couple planes to and from say, America)

Its folk finding holes because they refuse to even attempt to understand the message. 

I've no doubt some of these cunts are insufferable, upper middle class, do gooders, who through good fortune and careers, now have the time to indulge in stuff like this. I get why that pisses people off. It doesn't/shouldn't dilute the message. 

2.) Yeah, she could probably sell a property to insulate others, does that mean her point about insulation being too expensive for everyone, and not cost effective long term, is null and void? 

I'm not on the side of the landlord here, I'm on the side of her point. Insulation should be cheaper. Whatever her personal deal is, is irrelevant to that point. 

I don't think oil is a good thing. Just about all available evidence points to that. I think we'd be better off spending the money that we do extracting oil, into looking for ways to make renewable energy really, really work. 

At the same time, my job relies heavily on the success of the O and G industry. I need a job. 

There'll always be contradictions/conflict when you're arguing against something like the use of oil in society. 

It's like arguing against the use of water 

4 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Quite rightly, they're too young to really know what they're talking about. And no-one should be telling other folk what to 'think' should they?  

She knows more about it than me or you, and is backed by thousands of scientists. But, I guess not. 

I think in certain instances people should be told what to think. Especially if it's an inescapable truth. You can really have an opinion on such things. 

Now, if you insist that you like crunchy peanut butter, but I like smooth, I can't tell you what to think on that, that's personal preference, taste, opinion 

On matters of fact, or beyond reasonable doubt, opinions shouldn't be welcomed. 

You can have an opinion on how to deal with such a fact, but not on the fact itself. 

Catch me drift, matey?

41 minutes ago, CCB III said:

You're right, nobody needs to do anything. You should only travel to your work, the shops, and home. Everything else is superfluous. Why ever take a holiday? Why see the world in a van (probs not even close to as bad for the environment as taking a couple planes to and from say, America)

Its folk finding holes because they refuse to even attempt to understand the message. 

I've no doubt some of these cunts are insufferable, upper middle class, do gooders, who through good fortune and careers, now have the time to indulge in stuff like this. I get why that pisses people off. It doesn't/shouldn't dilute the message. 

2.) Yeah, she could probably sell a property to insulate others, does that mean her point about insulation being too expensive for everyone, and not cost effective long term, is null and void? 

I'm not on the side of the landlord here, I'm on the side of her point. Insulation should be cheaper. Whatever her personal deal is, is irrelevant to that point. 

I don't think oil is a good thing. Just about all available evidence points to that. I think we'd be better off spending the money that we do extracting oil, into looking for ways to make renewable energy really, really work. 

At the same time, my job relies heavily on the success of the O and G industry. I need a job. 

There'll always be contradictions/conflict when you're arguing against something like the use of oil in society. 

I must say I think you have been on good form tonight. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
17 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Did the hole in the ozone layer ever get plugged? That was the big story about 30 years ago, cows farting too much and too many aerosols. Don't hear about that much anymore.

Superman fixed it. 

1 hour ago, CCB III said:

Here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is .

On your doorstep no less.

Will we be getting dispatches from the front lines of the climate fight.

https://twitter.com/ScotClimateCamp/status/1543866205538291713?t=eUmDF95eqCfjcn5bR7Ys3Q&s=19

12 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

https://twitter.com/ScotClimateCamp/status/1543866205538291713?t=eUmDF95eqCfjcn5bR7Ys3Q&s=19

I'll be disgusted if Consi doesn't leave his job in the O&G sector to sign up for this. I'd find it hard to take him seriously again if he didn't.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, patrick bateman said:

I dunno if you think this is a "gotcha." 

My personal opinion on climate activists is they are wasting their time. I'll still defend them for having the wherewithal and bottle to stand up for what they think is right. I agree with what they are saying, I just don't think enough people do/will take it seriously enough to make it matter.
I don't believe that "every little helps" nonsense either.

I don't think a dude in Wisconsin walking to work every other day instead of driving, even if there are thousands of him, is going to offset the pollution of the US army, for example. Poor people don't omit half as much emissions as rich people. The idea that we are all in it together is ludicrous. 

Also, people don't want to be inconvenienced. It's inconvenient to drive less, it's inconvenient to look for different forms of energy when we already have ones we know how to use, it's inconvenient to recycle, it's inconvenient to invest in eco friendly public infrastructure. And so on.

As a species we struggle to perceive problems that aren't smacking us in the face. Why should a guy in the freezing cold Aiberdeen assume the world is getting hotter? It's cold far he bides, ken?

So anyway, that's just my personal opinion. Until the powers that be are forced to take it seriously, which will only be through means of revolution, which will never, ever happen in this country, I don't anticipate much changing. 

People are too wrapped up in their day to day, and it's understandable. It would take a monumental shift in public consciousness to achieve appropriate climate goals. 

27 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I dunno if you think this is a "gotcha." 

My personal opinion on climate activists is they are wasting their time. I'll still defend them for having the wherewithal and bottle to stand up for what they think is right. I agree with what they are saying, I just don't think enough people do/will take it seriously enough to make it matter.
I don't believe that "every little helps" nonsense either.

I don't think a dude in Wisconsin walking to work every other day instead of driving, even if there are thousands of him, is going to offset the pollution of the US army, for example. Poor people don't omit half as much emissions as rich people. The idea that we are all in it together is ludicrous. 

Also, people don't want to be inconvenienced. It's inconvenient to drive less, it's inconvenient to look for different forms of energy when we already have ones we know how to use, it's inconvenient to recycle, it's inconvenient to invest in eco friendly public infrastructure. And so on.

As a species we struggle to perceive problems that aren't smacking us in the face. Why should a guy in the freezing cold Aiberdeen assume the world is getting hotter? It's cold far he bides, ken?

So anyway, that's just my personal opinion. Until the powers that be are forced to take it seriously, which will only be through means of revolution, which will never, ever happen in this country, I don't anticipate much changing. 

People are too wrapped up in their day to day, and it's understandable. It would take a monumental shift in public consciousness to achieve appropriate climate goals. 

One of your better posts. 

8 hours ago, CCB III said:

1.) Why is it needless? Does anyone need to go anywhere? Every holiday anyone takes is "needless?" Taking a van will have been much more environmentally friendly than all the planes they'd have had to get. They aren't trying to "stop" individuals using diesel, they are being disruptive to make a wider point, that the means by which we use oil, petrol etc is not sustainable. But if you want to get around, anywhere, you'll probably have to use those means- as they are so intertwined with how we transport ourselves. The overarching point is that the ubiquitous nature of fossil fuels, is damaging. They aren't saying "don't drive your car" they are saying "there must be a better way than this."

2.) I never said I wanted private landlords to get government subsidies. I simply said for the point they were making, it makes total sense that the people saying it cost too much to insulate- don't have their homes insulated. LOL. 

To add, the private housing market isn't going anywhere so I wouldn't mind if government subsidised private landlords to insulate their properties- making it cheaper for the tenants who'll be paying the heating bills. 

Your POV is essentially 

"I think society should change"

"yes, but you are participating in society"

Don't make no sense mate. 

Mind reading again Consi, badly.

These goons want the world to change but aren't willing to change their own lives. If you can afford a private property portfolio you can raise the money to get them properly insulated. If you think society relies too much on fossil fuels don't drive around the world.

They are doing it for their own egos.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The evidence isn't there. You have no idea what their lives were like and are like now. You've no idea what changes they may or may not have made. 

You reckon the millionaire landlord will have insulated all his properties? Consi said he couldn't afford it. The round the world traveller staying at home now?

You're right to a degree but one thing is for sure, gluing themselves to the road did nothing except inconvenience ordinary working people.

6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You reckon the millionaire landlord will have insulated all his properties? Consi said he couldn't afford it. The round the world traveller staying at home now?

You're talking about one single aspect of their life. You've no idea what their lives were like and are like now. 

You're also focusing on the actions of individual people in order to diminish/demean to a whole movement and what they believe in. I think that's ridiculous and is only done by many because they know that if it came to a debate of actual substance, then the protestors very much have the science on their side.

6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

You're right to a degree but one thing is for sure, gluing themselves to the road did nothing except inconvenience ordinary working people.

It pushed the issue in to the mainstream. Which was one of their aims.

As Consi says, many protest movements throughout history were deeply unpopular at the time. Climate change activists shouldn't care too much about being popular. They've clearly got the entire media (who's owners are part of the mega-rich elite who pollute massively) against them. Popularity with the masses isn't going to happen in the short term. 

History will look kindly upon them though. 

24 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I haven't.

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You're talking about one single aspect of their life. You've no idea what their lives were like and are like now. 

You're also focusing on the actions of individual people in order to diminish/demean to a whole movement and what they believe in. I think that's ridiculous and is only done by many because they know that if it came to a debate of actual substance, then the protestors very much have the science on their side.

It pushed the issue in to the mainstream. Which was one of their aims.

As Consi says, many protest movements throughout history were deeply unpopular at the time. Climate change activists shouldn't care too much about being popular. They've clearly got the entire media (who's owners are part of the mega-rich elite who pollute massively) against them. Popularity with the masses isn't going to happen in the short term. 

History will look kindly upon them though. 

No I'm not. I happen to agree with the aims of Insulate Britain. If what they say is true it seems to make sense. They won't get it to happen by gluing themselves to roads though.

If they want to protest, protest, but aiming to purely inconvenience already struggling people is selfish and counter productive.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:40 AM, Zeus said:

Climate activists.

Absolute bellends...

The cunts that tie wrap themselves to goal posts... tighten the tie wraps and play on.

The cunts that sit on the track in F1 races... leave them to it. See how long they last with cars coming at them at 200mph.

The cunts that glue themselves to roads... either rip them up so their skin is still stuck to the road or keep them there and use them as speed bumps.