Sevco Thread

Its sad but for me this is the reality.

I 100% agree with RUL. No amount of competitiveness will get the kids back and interested. Too many parents let there kids support EPL. Supporting the spl is like church on Sunday, no one goes the kids don't care. The amount of empty seats in the merkland stand show what the future holds.

If Aberdeen were winning the spl without sevco and Celtic, we would struggle to get 16k through the door for an average game. I honestly don't think it would rise that much higher than it is now.

If Aberdeen were winning the spl without sevco and Celtic, we would struggle to get 16k through the door for an average game. I honestly don't think it would rise that much higher than it is now.

Should the ugly sisters go, whichever team(s) that start to dominate will get fans at their games. Aye, it might take a year or two, but think about a cup final, fowk ey come out of the woodwork, the same will happen in the league. People like to associate themselves with winners, regardless of the quality of the fitba.

Should the ugly sisters go, whichever team(s) that start to dominate will get fans at their games. Aye, it might take a year or two, but think about a cup final, fowk ey come out of the woodwork, the same will happen in the league. People like to associate themselves with winners, regardless of the quality of the fitba.

Problem is they wont go they will still be here but playing in england

Some strange sense of "nationality" willthen kick in and they will look at teams in englandshire to support and think "oh well rangers and celtic are scottish I'll support one of them" So kids will just go off and support them even more than they do now

If rangers and celtic suddenly get accepted to england the dont dissappear of the face of the earth never to be discussed in the press on the radio or on tv anymore - in fact it will probably get worse.

Rangers in the 3rd division get more column inches than most SPL teams and more mention on TV and radio than most others, Theres a two page spread in todays sun fro a F7cking friendly that celtic are playing ffs

so its very very simplistic (and I think foolish) to expect an upturn in crowds and kids following aberdden because the gruesome twosome have started playing 300 miles south

Woodwork fans are a bit of a fallacy in my opinion, they do exist however a large number of the woodwork fans are people that come to pitodrie as and when they can, maybe they work, have kids or live far away. a large number of our away fans seldom go to pitodrie. A big game/semi final is the kind of game where everyone makes the effort and no one wants to miss.

I think the league has been more exciting without them (mostly because there is not much in the other teams apart from celtic)

And if celtic went as well we would really have an exciting league and with closer competition and correct pricing fans might just come back

TV just now only really concentrate on the old firm but with them gone and the league getting exciting they will come back but it might take a few seasons

TV has never left any country and i am sure if they can show even minority sports then football will still be a big draw.

what if say sky were to turn their back on Scottish football and we all decided to stop our sky subscriptions i for one do not think they will risk this

But tv radio and the newspapers will still concentrate on the old farm

They don't disappear from the media in England

Bbc Scotland will still have guys on open all mics in fact it wouldn't surprise that they had a game or two from England and with the costs that would involve we might not even get a live match

They would still take up 10 mins of bbc Scotland news and Grampian news

There would still be a 6 page spread every Monday on there games and a 6th of the page for the rest

Because they are now in England the clamour in the playgrounds would be just as high if not higher.

Excitement may go up but we still won't even 3/4 fill the ground on a good day - in fact i would go as far as saying a 14000 seater stadium would do us.

We get the crowds back by challenging the of not ditching them

• Upvote 1

Bbc Scotland will still have guys on open all mics in fact it wouldn't surprise that they had a game or two from England and with the costs that would involve we might not even get a live match

There would still be a 6 page spread every Monday on there games and a 6th of the page for the rest

Because they are now in England the clamour in the playgrounds would be just as high if not higher.

Excitement may go up but we still won't even 3/4 fill the ground on a good day - in fact i would go as far as saying a 14000 seater stadium would do us.

The BBC/sportsound/media cover Sevco because they have a lot of fans/glory hunters. Sportsound don't cover much netball, basketball, ice hockey, because they are not popular.

I agree with your point on the stadium, 14 000 is all we need right now.

Sevco have made their stance clear. They want to leave the Scottish set-up. Since they only have a temporary licence, it makes absolute sense now for the SFA to withdraw that and not allow them to finish the 3rd Division fixtures this season. Why should the Scottish league set-up be used as a stepping stone for a company who do not even want to trade in this country?

GET THEM OUT NOW. WITHDRAW THEIR LICENCE.

• Upvote 3

Problem is they wont go they will still be here but playing in england

Some strange sense of "nationality" willthen kick in and they will look at teams in englandshire to support and think "oh well rangers and celtic are scottish I'll support one of them" So kids will just go off and support them even more than they do now

If rangers and celtic suddenly get accepted to england the dont dissappear of the face of the earth never to be discussed in the press on the radio or on tv anymore - in fact it will probably get worse.

Rangers in the 3rd division get more column inches than most SPL teams and more mention on TV and radio than most others, Theres a two page spread in todays sun fro a F7cking friendly that celtic are playing ffs

so its very very simplistic (and I think foolish) to expect an upturn in crowds and kids following aberdden because the gruesome twosome have started playing 300 miles south

and very simplistic and even more foolish to think rangers and celtic will just rise right through the ranks to the EPL and will hoover up all the media attention. Remember if those two bastard clubs go to england its the conference to start with and there's no way they will be guaranteed the success they enjoy up here. Their success and the hatred is what drives their support.

oh and its been proven time and time again that when a team is competing for honours the crowds will come back.

If Rangers and Celtic went to England they'd continue to get lots of the Scottish coverage for the first couple of years but after a while it'll become clear they can't just walk their way up through the leagues and I think many of their will soon walk away, particularly their fans in the Scottish media.

I think both would struggle to get up the leagues quickly and Rangers in particular might never get their. They could well be struggling at League 1 level never mind Championship.

In Rangers case particularly the shock of all the advantages they are given in Scotland being taken away might just kill them:

They won't get constant favouratism from referees

They won't be able to control the league bodies or infiltrate the FA

The police won't turn a blind eye to their fans racist and inciteful behaviour

The media won't excuse their cheating

The media won't hide or cover up the behaviour of their fans

Other clubs won't be afraid to speak out against them

They won't be able to grab the lions share of revenue from the other league clubs

Soon enough their fans will be screaming its all unfair and all the English clubs and media are against them. They'll be in open revolt and no doubt they will bring their usual brand of city centre redevelopment. At this point people in England will see just why they are so despised.

In fact I predict if both OF teams go down to England Celtic will slowly climb up the leagues but possibly stop at Championship level while Rangers might simply implode when they find how hard life is without being able to tip everything in your favour all the time.

Once that happens the media up here will soon lose interest just the same as the rest of their fans.

• Upvote 2

The medias role in all of this is the most frustrating part, we know, everyone knows, that the idea of them moving down there is TOTAL bollocks, it can't happen, won't happen, its just pointless noise they are making, presumably trying to build up their own importance, and trying to pressurise the SFA and SPL. Why do the media print such shit, how on earth was there a page in the paper yesterday where one manager, in the conference, said he'd love to have them down there, why does no-one say, Chuckles Green, Ally, your talking shite, to the point your emabarrassing yourselves. I also remember whenever this subject was brought up in the past, Traynor would always sigh and say it wont ever happen, blah blah, presumably he is now working with the 2 clowns on what to say about how they want it to happen.

I don't bother about their results anymore, but my hatred for them hasn't dissipated in any way!

The medias role in all of this is the most frustrating part, we know, everyone knows, that the idea of them moving down there is TOTAL bollocks, it can't happen, won't happen, its just pointless noise they are making, presumably trying to build up their own importance, and trying to pressurise the SFA and SPL. Why do the media print such shit, how on earth was there a page in the paper yesterday where one manager, in the conference, said he'd love to have them down there, why does no-one say, Chuckles Green, Ally, your talking shite, to the point your emabarrassing yourselves. I also remember whenever this subject was brought up in the past, Traynor would always sigh and say it wont ever happen, blah blah, presumably he is now working with the 2 clowns on what to say about how they want it to happen.

I don't bother about their results anymore, but my hatred for them hasn't dissipated in any way!

As Dynamo said, they are realising that life at the bottom is not as good as they thought

and are now using all their media mates to promote a doom n gloom scenario for Scottish

football if they are not at the top table.

As you say there's no chance of them moving to England and it seems they are realising that

their present wage bill will not be sustainable to have them win their way back to top league.

I despise them no less than before and wish total failure falls upon them.

I 100% agree with RUL. No amount of competitiveness will get the kids back and interested. Too many parents let there kids support EPL. Supporting the spl is like church on Sunday, no one goes the kids don't care. The amount of empty seats in the merkland stand show what the future holds.

To be quite honest though, 16k average would be a lot better for Aberdeen financially than the current situation.

When we were kicking the arses of the ugly sisters in the 80s our average crowd was about 14-16k IIRC.

If we were regularly competing and winning trophies we'd also regularly be in Europe which will get decent crowds. Ok we might get papped out first qualifying round for a couple of years but its self perpetuating. Win more, more fans, more money, better players, win more, more fans, more money etc etc.

• Upvote 1

To be quite honest though, 16k average would be a lot better for Aberdeen financially than the current situation.

When we were kicking the arses of the ugly sisters in the 80s our average crowd was about 14-16k IIRC.

If we were regularly competing and winning trophies we'd also regularly be in Europe which will get decent crowds. Ok we might get papped out first qualifying round for a couple of years but its self perpetuating. Win more, more fans, more money, better players, win more, more fans, more money etc etc.

Spot on I'd say.

With you again VforV.

3 alternatives.

The RUL approach. We stay as we are. They stay where they are. We watch the Young brothers, they watch the De Boers. We get to shout silly inconsequential insults at them in 2nd from us in 9th. Fucking A.

We try to restructure (not saying to what) to distribute what income there is between as many serious clubs as possible with a view to wider competition set in a framework of financial sustainability. Note to Mr Doncaster. Finanacial sustainability is not two teams perpetually in the CL with the rest of us riding on their coat tails. I don't dare if, in cash terms, it appears the best way forward (i.e. its what Sky say they want), the fans of ALL clubs don't want it, it is not sustainable long term cos it knocks the heart out of the support of each team whilst benefitting two and one of the feather bedded perpetual beneficiaries well and truly shit in that particular nest anyway.

The third approach is interesting. Both cheeks fuck off, and they both will, they are tied at the hip whether they like it or not. For me, leaving an official feeder club in Scotland is a non starter, we'd just be back to square one only worse. I accept we couldn't stop them buying another feeder club like Cowdenbeath with a view to pooling players for the big team in fact that is probably what would happen. Consequences of that? Can't think of any good ones for Aberdeen, put it that way. I don't for a second think that they would walk up the leagues but it is depressingly realistic to think they both would make it there, to the bottom third anyway. I also take VforV's point that their support would dwindle if they faltered at all, but that is still to dwindle from 45,000 to 25,000, healthy enough. Interestingly a new breed of fan might emerge though. Lets say ManU were visiting Glasgow one week (I'm assuming they've now got to the EPL obviously) and say Chelski the next. I suspect the away end of each game would hold a healthy number of Scottish accents, masking the drop in the home crowds cos they're not winning any more. That is a dangerous situation for the sport in the rest of the country to contemplate.

Sorry meant to add - the 16k average would come from winning only if accompanied by major investment in "the match experience." AFC won the ECWC in 83. AFC struggled to sell out the semi the following year. That situation in a modern era of entertainment and comfort will only be worse. Not unachievable though.

and very simplistic and even more foolish to think rangers and celtic will just rise right through the ranks to the EPL and will hoover up all the media attention. Remember if those two bastard clubs go to england its the conference to start with and there's no way they will be guaranteed the success they enjoy up here. Their success and the hatred is what drives their support.

oh and its been proven time and time again that when a team is competing for honours the crowds will come back.

Our crowds (& other challenging teams) crowds would go up without the two scum teams for sure.

We'd have a much better chance of winning the league & cups again & this would obviously increase our supports.

Any current attending fans that would stop going because the scum are no longer there are better off fucking off with them. Don't want fans like that but I don't think there'd be many (if any) of them in all honesty

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our crowds (& other challenging teams) crowds would go up without the two scum teams for sure.

We'd have a much better chance of winning the league & cups again & this would obviously increase our supports.

Any current attending fans that would stop going because the scum are no longer there are better off fucking off with them. Don't want fans like that but I don't think there'd be many (if any) of them in all honesty

The other crowds would go up? Where? Killie? St Johnstone? Dundee utd? Hearts ? I honestly don't see any if them improving, in killie case they'd get worse. These clubs simply don't have any more fans wanting to go, their attendances at semis etc are brutal! I think if they weren't challenging most clubs crowds would fall to bits in all honesty.

The only scope for slight improvement would be hibs and us. That being our crowds have dropped so much these past few years the only way is up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The other crowds would go up? Where? Killie? St Johnstone? Dundee utd? Hearts ? I honestly don't see any if them improving, in killie case they'd get worse. These clubs simply don't have any more fans wanting to go, their attendances at semis etc are brutal! I think if they weren't challenging most clubs crowds would fall to bits in all honesty.

The only scope for slight improvement would be hibs and us. That being our crowds have dropped so much these past few years the only way is up.

Any team that isn't challenging is going to have a steady drop in attendance but the point is that with no OF teams in the league there would be a much stronger chance of challenging for things.

The likes of Killie, St Johnstone ect. would not go up all that dramatically I know but they would go up a little (& we're speaking home support & the most important support) but the likes of us, Hibs, Hearts & maybe even Utd & Dundee would increase a lot.

Hearts for example would be selling out (like they were a couple of years back) every home game & Hibs (a challenging Hibs side) would be the same.