New Car Chat

fine-n-dandy

no

I think you're talking shite. Again.

I reckon the guy you bought it off saw you coming. 'Oh oh' said he 'here's some wanker down from fucking Glasgow, this absolute bellend won't be able to head back without a motor, I'm having him for every penny in that fake leather wallet he's got.'

And you've made up a figure to impress us.

And I know what you'll say now, 'why would I WANT to impress anyone on here?'

My answer to that would be: you've been trying to justify the purchase of an MG for about 5 pages now.

• Upvote 1

Some pleb round the back of my hoose has just acquired a Honda Civic with not 2, not 3 but 4 lums hinging oot the back.

He's new to the area and I've a dislike for him already.

lucky guy. 4 exhautss on that beats must elevate it up to something in line with a porsche or a ferrari.

I'm inheriting the other halfs Cooper S in a few Months so just need a run around till then, got a Mireva just now that I hate with a passion, can't get the heaters working in the fecker either!

retired scoccer mentalist hangs up his lacoste harrington jacket and now drives about town in birds motor.

• Upvote 1

good man

take it you know the dreadnought garage?

theyre doin it for me, but 130 quid?

as for the throttle cable tightening...can you tell me exactly where it is when i open the bonnet?

With respect MT, if you don't know your way around an engine, leave it alone. Get a mate who does know what they're doing to help. Watch him, then next time you'll manage yourself.

If you want a simple way of finding your throttle cable, get your bird to sit in the driver seat naked, tell her to push the accelerator while you look at the engine. Look for the moving cable. Simples.

By the way, she doesn't have to be naked, but don't tell her that.

haha!!!

no, apparently its literally a 2 min job and u dont even need any tools!

well, again...i wont tell her that ;)

You usually just loosen the nut on the slack side - pull through the cable to take up the slack, then tighten the nut on the side you've just pulled through to - does that make sense? You may then have to tighten a small turnbuckle type arrangement - having never been near any type of Rover engine I wouldn't know what is used there. You probably need to feed the mice on the wheels some cheese.

good man

take it you know the dreadnought garage?

theyre doin it for me, but 130 quid?

as for the throttle cable tightening...can you tell me exactly where it is when i open the bonnet?

Dreadnought are widely regarded as the best of the best, up here. They're the guys who install the Rousche Supercharger to the Mustang-engined 75/ZT and punch it up to circa 530 BHP. They know the car inside-out and while they do tend to be a little more expensive than independents, their reputation is excellent, and I know guys who've taken their 75s/ZTs up from England just to have them serviced there.

Courtesy of a few minutes with MS Paint and a picture of my old 75, here's the throttle cable assembly:

8288930905_fa10a527b2_b.jpg

Pull the screw and cable free of its securing clasp, and rotate the black square so that it moves towards you and the front of the car; this will take up slack in the cable. Don't adjust it too far forward - you need to leave room to accomodate idle engine speed. Generally, it should be about a quarter, two fifths from the front if it was originally halfway. After adjustment, use extreme caution until you get used to the improved responsiveness or you will gun it and kill an OAP minding her own business crossing your drive.

nope, 750 as previously stated

it only had one key and the bonnet needs paint sorted on it, so got a deal!

the accelerator isnt responsive enuff either

but thats an easy fix with a tightening of th cable

Well that's your best case...although unlikely...best way to find out is get it down to the garage and plug in the diagnostic box of tricks...hazarding a guess I'd say...VIS actuator/motor

Dreadnought are widely regarded as the best of the best, up here. They're the guys who install the Rousche Supercharger to the Mustang-engined 75/ZT and punch it up to circa 530 BHP. They know the car inside-out and while they do tend to be a little more expensive than independents, their reputation is excellent, and I know guys who've taken their 75s/ZTs up from England just to have them serviced there.

Courtesy of a few minutes with MS Paint and a picture of my old 75, here's the throttle cable assembly:

8288930905_fa10a527b2_b.jpg

Pull the screw and cable free of its securing clasp, and rotate the black square so that it moves towards you and the front of the car; this will take up slack in the cable. Don't adjust it too far forward - you need to leave room to accomodate idle engine speed. Generally, it should be about a quarter, two fifths from the front if it was originally halfway. After adjustment, use extreme caution until you get used to the improved responsiveness or you will gun it and kill an OAP minding her own business crossing your drive.

taking a Rover 75 up from England to get serviced in Scotland....!? :laughing::spanner:

you still here?

does it bother you that literally noone cares what you say?

youve proven yourself not witty enough to even register on anyones radar?

How much thread is left on the screw? You'll know if you go too far - the engine idle speed will be increased and the car will be louder when standing as you've passed the tolerance range and tightened so far you've pulled on the throttle without actuating the pedal. My 75 idles a tad under 1000rpm.

ok cheers bruv

take it when the cars cold, itll rev higher at idle...so best to judge when im at warm operating temp?

as things stand, when mines idle, its only bout 0.7k, so could maybe turn a few more?

i dont have MUCH thread left...

Yes, it will rev higher in cold weather. Avoid the temptation to tighten the screw to its maximum travel; you really want a little play in the cable, simply because the greater the tension on the cable, the greater the stress and while it's unlikely it's going to suddenly snap because you've given it a tighten, you want to avoid a situation where tapping the accelerator with your foot causes the engine to roar like a lion and disappear off into the sunset ... With or without the rest of the car.