Scott Wright

Just now, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Good shout. Whilst he was undoubtedly raw playing under Craig Brown's stewardship, there was plenty of ability and other strengths to develop, to our own advantage, without getting shot of him so quickly. 

Bringing in players 'who can cover a number of positions' (except they can't really) is one of my biggest bug bears with McInnes.  Contributes to most of the blockages for young players. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. 

Once you're in the first team you should be judged accordingly. I'm not suggesting a free pass. 

But you can still recognise where someone is in their development as part of that judgment. 

Exactly, just like young Campbell. Whilst he is far from the finished article and he really needs to improve his awareness and creativity on the park, there is enough there to work on to develop him into a very good player and one of the first picks of the first team.

15 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's the nub. 

We need to back our young players earlier and give them a proper shot.  Certainly instead of bringing in senior journeymen to warm the bench. 

But at the same time, look at the stick Campbell gets on here sometimes. It's well ott for a young loon finding his way in the first team. 

Well if the finances are as bad as they are (& are going to get worse) then the likes of Ramsay, Ngwenya & Campbell might be getting a lot more first team football. 
The likes of Logan, Leigh, Ojo etc can go and take their decent weekly wages off the clubs wage bill. 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bringing in players 'who can cover a number of positions' (except they can't really) is one of my biggest bug bears with McInnes.  Contributes to most of the blockages for young players. 

That is the greatest gripe of Derek McInnes's tenure as well. 

Bringing in dross like Parker, Leigh, Ojo, Main, Ball, Tansey, Forrester, Gallagher, Zyner (I will stop there?) has needlessly and seriously curtailed the progression of several of our young lads we still have, and also the ones we have let go. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Well if the finances are as bad as they are (& are going to get worse) then the likes of Ramsay, Ngwenya & Campbell might be getting a lot more first team football. 
The likes of Logan, Leigh, Ojo etc can go and take their decent weekly wages off the clubs wage bill. 

Which would be fine by me. 

All our best teams have had a smattering of young players who came through our system. 

Logan is exempt though for me.  He's been a good servant, we just have him a final contract that was a year too long. 

4 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Exactly, just like young Campbell. Whilst he is far from the finished article and he really needs to improve his awareness and creativity on the park, there is enough there to work on to develop him into a very good player and one of the first picks of the first team.

I bet it’s the old question tho of how long do you give a young player to develop. Scott Wright is 24 and we’re only just seeing how good he could be Campbell is 19!and people are expecting him be the finished article 

3 minutes ago, thurso said:

I bet it’s the old question tho of how long do you give a young player to develop. Scott Wright is 24 and we’re only just seeing how good he could be Campbell is 19!and people are expecting him be the finished article 

I think giving them to they are 22 years old max. is more than enough time to assess whether or not a player is going to make it at Aberdeen, or any club for that matter. 

51 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Which would be fine by me. 

All our best teams have had a smattering of young players who came through our system. 

Logan is exempt though for me.  He's been a good servant, we just have him a final contract that was a year too long. 

Add Niall McGinn to that list, 2 seasons  too long in his case.

I don’t think any fair minded supporter would mind one bit if the likes of Ojo, Logan, Main, McGinn and Devlin were never to be seen again after this season is done, and replaced with the younger lads already mentioned, saving the club a fortune in wages in the process, as long as maybe 2 semi experienced players were signed to aid their development.

It’s  exactly what we’ve been guilty of not going over the last decade or so

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

huns bought Jones,Stewart and Hastie when he was looking like a talent and bought Jones and Stewart to stop them hurting the huns, same tactic

I said they are starting to use the same model they both have used to garner 90% of all Scottish competition cups and leagues throughout the history of our competitions.

They didnt buy any of those players. They did have to pay the statutory compensation to Motherwell for signing an out of contract U23 age player.....said to be about £350k. (A fee roughly equivalent to what we could expect if they do indeed sign Wright)

59 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

You could add another left back into the mix, of lads that never really got a proper crack of the whip under McInnes; Clark Robertson.

Clark Robertson was fucking awful for us at LB. Wasn't he a CB by trade at the time? 

It's all very well saying "give youth a chance" but not to the detriment of the side. He's done well for himself considering how shite he was for us, but the only player who's really gone on and done great things is Fraser. Ryan, that is, not Fyvie. Fyvie probably the most successful in terms of trophies though. 

Shankland, as well, was, even admitted himself, shite for us as well. He's done well and got an international goal and cap, but he's yet to prove that we should have kept him. He's hardly setting the Scottish Premiership alight with his goals this season. 

57 minutes ago, NEM said:

Daily Ranger reporting McInnes has confirmed the approach and is praising sevco for going about it in the correct manner ?

That's an absolute disgrace. Small club mentality.

thank you big boys for doing things right (for a change).

McHun is dragging this club backwards now, blinded by his delight that his boys are winning the league this year.

he's a weak cretinous man and should not be allowed to walk the streets of this city without fear of violence 

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

That is the greatest gripe of Derek McInnes's tenure as well. 

Bringing in dross like Parker, Leigh, Ojo, Main, Ball, Tansey, Forrester, Gallagher, Zyner (I will stop there?) has needlessly and seriously curtailed the progression of several of our young lads we still have, and also the ones we have let go. 

How do you know?

How can you guarantee that anyone in our youth teams would have done any better? They certainly haven't done so elsewhere after they left us.

And I absolutely guarantee that if we had played some of these players now no longer with the club....and we were taking beatings off Hibs, St J, Killie etc on a regular basis then this place would have been in a permanent state of meltdown,

We bring in journeymen pro's as our squad budget doesn't allow us to sign stars in every position. Some are squad players. It's up to the youth to PROVE to McInnes they are better and should be played every week. It hasn't happened bar McKenna and Campbell ( to a very much lesser extent and look at some  of the abuse he takes here).

As I said in another thread....these ex youths of ours aren't exactly tearing it up anywhere else so I'd say despite all his faults, McInnes has been spot on in this

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
7 minutes ago, Poodler said:

McHun is dragging this club backwards now, blinded by his delight that his boys are winning the league this year.

he's a weak cretinous man and should not be allowed to walk the streets of this city without fear of violence 

I'll look forward to reading about your court appearance for assault in the peenj next week

"Mr Poodler's defence agent said in mitigation that quite rightly, the complainer was a weak and cretinous man"

8 minutes ago, Poodler said:

Never praise those cunts

McHun will never understand  how much we the Aberdeen support hate those bastards

Feck the Hun 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'll look forward to reading about your court appearance for assault in the peenj next week

"Mr Poodler's defence agent said in mitigation that quite rightly, the complainer was a weak and cretinous man"

Poods is a wifie so that winna happen (he might throw something from a safe distance then hide) but he's spot on with his assessment. 

Just now, Henry said:

If he signs a pre-contract with the filth, the boy Dyer at Killie has given McInnes the perfect example of what to do. 

Anything less is unacceptable 

Mcinnes is weaker than a man from shackled ancestry. He's been protected by his Orange mob all his days, he doesn't have it in him to make big bold decisions.

22 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

How do you know?

How can you guarantee that anyone in our youth teams would have done any better? They certainly haven't done so elsewhere after they left us.

And I absolutely guarantee that if we had played some of these players now no longer with the club....and we were taking beatings off Hibs, St J, Killie etc on a regular basis then this place would have been in a permanent state of meltdown,

We bring in journeymen pro's as our squad budget doesn't allow us to sign stars in every position. Some are squad players. It's up to the youth to PROVE to McInnes they are better and should be played every week. It hasn't happened bar McKenna and Campbell ( to a very much lesser extent and look at some  of the abuse he takes here).

As I said in another thread....these ex youths of ours aren't exactly tearing it up anywhere else so I'd say despite all his faults, McInnes has been spot on in this

This part of McInnes's tenure can be looked at constructively positive,  like you reasonably have, TC, and constructively negative, like I have.

I can't guarantee how things may or may not have panned out for the youth players we have released as it was identified by McInnes, Docherty and Sheerin that they were not good enough for regular first team football at Aberdeen, and it is impossible for me to pass objective judgement as I don't work as a coach for Aberdeen, therefore didn't work with the released players on a daily basis.

However, it saddens me that we take in players, simply for the purpose of plugging gaps in our first team squad, when our surely our youth players should be of a better standard, having been coached at the club, in some cases, from their early teens, if not earlier. Therein lies a massive failure of coaching staff and management, the buck therefore lies with them. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Henry said:

Publically declare he's played his last game for the club, and then do a deal on loan if they must.

Fuck doing a loan deal. They can pay for him now or he can sit in the stands.

Put him on goalkeeper training, that's what I used to do in the same situation on Champ Manager. 

26 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

This part of McInnes's tenure can be looked at constructively positive,  like you reasonably have, TC, and constructively negative, like I have.

I can't guarantee how things may or may not have panned out for the youth players we have released as it was identified by McInnes, Docherty and Sheerin that they were not good enough for regular first team football at Aberdeen, and it is impossible for me to pass objective judgement as I don't work as a coach for Aberdeen, therefore didn't work with the released players on a daily basis.

However, it saddens me that we take in players, simply for the purpose of plugging gaps in our first team squad, when our surely our youth players should be of a better standard, having been coached at the club, in some cases, from their early teens, if not earlier. Therein lies a massive failure of coaching staff and management, the buck therefore lies with them. 

Exactly. 

Judging how players perform after they leave Aberdeen is too simplistic an argument. 

Who is to say that if they had been integrated into the team in a different way at a younger age they would not have gone on to better careers, either with us or somewhere else. 

I'd say that historically most players benefit from early first team activity, provided they are introduced in a structured way. 

Yes at the end of the day you've got to be good enough to make it but we've got to give them a wee bit more of a chance to succeed imo than we do currently. Stopping clogging up the first team squad with players who will rarely be used would be a good way to start. 

• Upvote 2