Scott Wright

19 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Campbell is crap. If he wasn't an Aberdeen fan there would be a go fund me page set up to pay him off. He's had plenty opportunities and all he does is pass the ball sideways and get caught in possession, he's not strong, quick or good in the air which regardless of manager or style you need to have to play in the premiership in Scotland. 

Behave min. Sure, he hasn’t stood out much this season but arguably that’s down to game time and the form of Ferguson and McCrorie grabbing the headlines. He’s done ok when called upon and at 19 he’s still time on his side to push on and become a valuable asset for us. As already mentioned, if Covid hadn’t disrupted the squad its possible he would have been loaned out to get some regular football which I think would be a logical step in his development. Seen enough to think it’s still worth us investing in him.

16 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Behave min. Sure, he hasn’t stood out much this season but arguably that’s down to game time and the form of Ferguson and McCrorie grabbing the headlines. He’s done ok when called upon and at 19 he’s still time on his side to push on and become a valuable asset for us. As already mentioned, if Covid hadn’t disrupted the squad its possible he would have been loaned out to get some regular football which I think would be a logical step in his development. Seen enough to think it’s still worth us investing in him.

He has a point, what is Campbell actually good at? Why do you think he will become a “valuable asset”? I see nothing that suggests he won’t be somewhere like Falkirk in a few years.

4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Campbells a good player. Needs games though, think everyone agrees he needs some time out on loan. We are strong in that position.... could do with offloading pish like Ojo and maybe even McGeouaoauoieaoueach

If we offload either or both of them then there's no point loaning out Campbell as he'll get plenty of game time 

Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

What is he good at?

He passes the ball very well.  He's technically very good... yes he's making some mistake lately, but he's still learning his trade.  He's the sort of play that's going to improve exponentially will game time.  

IMO he's better technically than McRorie and Ferguson.  Those two have the raw strength and power, that's allowed them to make an impact early in their SPFL careers.  Campbell doesn't have that - but I reckon he's going to be like a fine wine!  Needs a chance to mature though!  I'd like to see him spend the rest of the season playing week in, week out in the Championship.  I reckon he'd come back a different player.

Just my opinion like!

1 minute ago, Sonoftherock said:

He passes the ball very well.  He's technically very good... yes he's making some mistake lately, but he's still learning his trade.  He's the sort of play that's going to improve exponentially will game time.  

IMO he's better technically than McRorie and Ferguson.  Those two have the raw strength and power, that's allowed them to make an impact early in their SPFL careers.  Campbell doesn't have that - but I reckon he's going to be like a fine wine!  Needs a chance to mature though!  I'd like to see him spend the rest of the season playing week in, week out in the Championship.  I reckon he'd come back a different player.

Just my opinion like!

Agreed technically Campbell is very good.  Just needs to impose himself on games more.

So unlike Aberdeen fans to be slaughtering local youngsters.

5 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

What is he good at?

Technical ability. The stuff most Scottish players are shite at. He keeps the ball and is comfortable taking a pass in most areas. He is a good footballer. He needs to bulk up and learn a bit more about the game but that will come easier than the raw talent he has. He's got a chance like... whether or not he makes it I am not sure. Needs regular starts but isn't as good as Ferguson or McCrorie at the moment, so will hopefully get loaned out.

• Upvote 1
Just now, NEM said:

Agreed technically Campbell is very good.  Just needs to impose himself on games more.

His 'match smarts' would improve dramatically with a half or full season of first team football under his belt.  He'd learn how to take on a game at this level.  Sometimes, as others have mentioned, he looks a bit lost - I'm suggesting a lack of experience and game time are contributory factors.

19 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Technical ability. The stuff most Scottish players are shite at. He keeps the ball and is comfortable taking a pass in most areas. He is a good footballer. He needs to bulk up and learn a bit more about the game but that will come easier than the raw talent he has. He's got a chance like... whether or not he makes it I am not sure. Needs regular starts but isn't as good as Ferguson or McCrorie at the moment, so will hopefully get loaned out.

Technical ability? wow being able to pass a ball sideways is technical ability. The guy doesn't hit set pieces, score goals, dribble past players, so what constitutes technical ability? He has a relatively nice touch? I honestly think he would struggle to play in the championship and that's just my opinion. Could say this is harsh but and I really hope he proves me wrong but I have seen very little progression since he made his debut. I'd send him up to ross county under John Hughes and if he has technical ability Yogi will play him and to his strengths and let's see how he copes. For me Virtanen and Ojo are just as a good an option just now, the latter on far too much money and should be moved on but in no way is he worse than Campbell. 

He's a massive fan and his father is on the forums/social media,  so a lot of arse licking goes on but he should be judged the same as any foreigner or non Aberdeen fan but quite frankly he isn't. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
8 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Technical ability? wow being able to pass a ball sideways is technical ability. The guy doesn't hit set pieces, score goals, dribble past players, so what constitutes technical ability? He has a relatively nice touch? I honestly think he would struggle to play in the championship and that's just my opinion. Could say this is harsh but and I really hope he proves me wrong but I have seen very little progression since he made his debut. I'd send him up to ross county under John Hughes and if he has technical ability Yogi will play him and to his strengths and let's see how he copes. For me Virtanen and Ojo are just as a good an option just now, the latter on far too much money and should be moved on but in no way is he worse than Campbell. 

He's a massive fan and his father is on the forums/social media,  so a lot of arse licking goes on but he should be judged the same as any foreigner or non Aberdeen fan but quite frankly he isn't. 

What is virtanen like as a player. 

32 minutes ago, GDON21 said:

Shite. Nobody is saying he is a future world class star and nobody is even saying he should be in the team at the moment so hardly arse licking. Merely saying the boy is 19 and has time on his side to improve physically and with experience. 

What do you think is technical ability? Taking the ball out of the sky and putting it in the top corner like Dennis Bergkamp? I suppose it is... but yes, just passing the ball and taking it in tight areas is technical ability too. Sounds simple but how often do Scottish players give the ball away needlessly. Campbell is more of a Ryan Jack (type player!!!!!!) than a Graeme Shinnie.

54 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Shite. Nobody is saying he is a future world class star and nobody is even saying he should be in the team at the moment so hardly arse licking. Merely saying the boy is 19 and has time on his side to improve physically and with experience. 

What do you think is technical ability? Taking the ball out of the sky and putting it in the top corner like Dennis Bergkamp? I suppose it is... but yes, just passing the ball and taking it in tight areas is technical ability too. Sounds simple but how often do Scottish players give the ball away needlessly. Campbell is more of a Ryan Jack (type player!!!!!!) than a Graeme Shinnie.

Folk are trying to use McInnes as an excuse for him not being good enough, The only thing I would label at Mcinnes in Campbells development is that he hasn't signed good enough players to allow the club to send him on loan. Mcgeouch, Bryson, Forrester, Gleeson, Ojo all either crap or injury prone, which has meant he has had to hold on to Campbell. I feel Campbell hasn't kicked on and really improved in any area of his game personally and maybe he needs to go and get 30/35 games somewhere else to do this, I've said before that I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see much in the boy to suggest he can be anywhere near the level of Ryan Jack. 

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, NEM said:

It shouldn’t matter where a player is from

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

What does he do when he gets a pass though? Mostly seems to just go backwards or sideways. 

2 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

His 'match smarts' would improve dramatically with a half or full season of first team football under his belt.  He'd learn how to take on a game at this level.  Sometimes, as others have mentioned, he looks a bit lost - I'm suggesting a lack of experience and game time are contributory factors.

He’s had 30 odd first team appearances, you would expect some sort of defining quality to have shone through by now but there’s not been anything. 

I really hope he proves me wrong but it’s frightening the way people seem to think he’s brilliant just because he’s “one of our own”. If he was anyone else people would be complaining about Mcinnes wasting time playing him and not signing a better replacement.

• Downvote 1
  • Dildo 1
6 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

It shouldn’t matter where a player is from

What does he do when he gets a pass though? Mostly seems to just go backwards or sideways. 

He’s had 30 odd first team appearances, you would expect some sort of defining quality to have shone through by now but there’s not been anything. 

I really hope he proves me wrong but it’s frightening the way people seem to think he’s brilliant just because he’s “one of our own”. If he was anyone else people would be complaining about Mcinnes wasting time playing him and not signing a better replacement.

Nobody is saying he's brilliant. I haven't heard a single person say that. I don't see him being mentioned amongst the names that will make us a lot of money in the future at this stage. 

He's 19 and trying to break into the team and hold down a first team place. 

Too early for folk to be writing him off yet.  Even if he develops into a steady first team player then that's fine.  He's already better than Ojo and we spent 150k on him. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NEM said:

In the limited game time that I have seen the lad play, he does appear to be technically good however he never seems to take a chance on moving the ball forward, if he is in doubt a simple sideway or backward pass is taken on instead of taking a gamble.

He might be naturally cautious however as it seems to be something that the whole team does, it probably a tactic employed by the management team to ensure that the team keeps possession.

2 hours ago, GDON21 said:

The same Virtanen thats played 0 games for our first team? Bold assertion that unless you're part of the Arbroath coaching staff where he's currently on loan.

I don't think Dean gets judged any or less favourably than any other player nowadays. Gets criticised as much as any other if he's off his game but i think most fans realise he's still got a way to go yet to become a first team regular.

Im not sure if McInnes sees him as best suited to the holding midfield role which would explain why he doesn't make the lung-bursting runs or gets into positions to take pot shots at goal often

4 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

In the limited game time that I have seen the lad play, he does appear to be technically good however he never seems to take a chance on moving the ball forward, if he is in doubt a simple sideway or backward pass is taken on instead of taking a gamble.

He might be naturally cautious however as it seems to be something that the whole team does, it probably a tactic employed by the management team to ensure that the team keeps possession.

He's also had very few opportunities to have a run in a settled side. 

Generally comes in when the midfield and other parts of the team have been decimated. 

Then out again. 

He can play a pass (sideways or backwards) 5yds or 50yds to someone in a red shirt.  That alone tells me we keep him for now and certainly puts him ahead of two or three higher earners in the squad.

not convinced the not passing forwards thing is his doing.

still have high hopes for the lad.  A mid 3 of him Lewis and Mcrorie is maybe overly conservative, especially if it’s a five behind them but other sides seem to make it work.  Inability to consistently play a settled AND EFFECTIVE 2 or 3 up front has had as big an impact.

Campbell can only improve with games.

He reads the game well, can make a mistake as others do too but can learn with experience.

He needs to adopt some controlled arrogance to boost his confidence as the more intelligent players tend to lack that.

Campbell is the least of our concerns.

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

The same Virtanen thats played 0 games for our first team? Bold assertion that unless you're part of the Arbroath coaching staff where he's currently on loan.

Virtanen was on our bench on Sunday. 

As far as Campbell goes, I think there's a player there. Mcinnes seldom trusts him as a holding mid on his own, he's usually alongside another. If he was in there on his own (which would only happen when we're doing all the attacking, or have a more attack minded midfield in general), then I think he'd shine more and more folk would see what he actually offers with his passing range and reading of the game.

6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yeah but he can't learn all of this in our first team I am afraid as he is a passenger

It is weird he hasn't been loaned out,  really weird

Aye. 

A spell on loan at a club where he has to take responsibility for the midfield every week rather than being the young local boy in the team would be a good move for him just now. 

53 minutes ago, shut up meg said:

I'd wager that's instruction rather than natural instinct.

There were a few games either early last season or early this where he played some sublime forward passes.  Scored a few at Scotland youth level as well has he not? U18 or 21?

I watched him play an u19 or U21 game v Germany where he was arguably the best player on the pitch. 

This hasn't happened for us but worth noting most of us probably thought Wright wasn't good enough. It's only at 23 that Wright has pushed on. 

I feel he wants to much time on the ball and isn't physical enough.