Coronavirus

Henry

3 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

I read that the parents had organised suitable donors themselves, why not let them use those donors?

I'd imagine because with heart surgery, even in an infant, the risk of haemorrhage is very high. You can easily need 10 units or more in a very short space of time until the torn artery is located and repaired. In that instance it's often the case that the blood bank runs out of grouped and cross matched blood and is forced to delve into its stocks of the emergency option....group O neg blood (known as the "universal donor")

I'm not sure what system New Zealand uses but if they say they have organised suitable donors themselves, the only way they could know this would be to have paid individually for each potential donor to have been tested (group and cross matched) with the kid's blood which I don't see being particularly cheap

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd imagine because with heart surgery, even in an infant, the risk of haemorrhage is very high. You can easily need 10 units or more in a very short space of time until the torn artery is located and repaired. In that instance it's often the case that the blood bank runs out of grouped and cross matched blood and is forced to delve into its stocks of the emergency option....group O neg blood (known as the "universal donor")

I'm not sure what system New Zealand uses but if they say they have organised suitable donors themselves, the only way they could know this would be to have paid individually for each potential donor to have been tested (group and cross matched) with the kid's blood which I don't see being particularly cheap

It’s like the contaminated blood scandal but on a massive global scale.

58 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

It’s like the contaminated blood scandal but on a massive global scale.

I think the parents should be able to do whatever is best for for their baby. If they don't want to inject it with vaccinated blood, fine. They should have the option to avoid that. 

When the lady is talking about "contaminated" blood banks, I'm not sure I understand. It was my understanding that one of the big beefs the COVID anti vaxxers had with the vaccine was that it wasn't effective for very long, rendering it pointless. So, the effects of the vaccine, side effects included, surely wouldn't still be present in any potential blood donor?

And as Ten Caat said, blood donors have to be a match, the tweet says they've found "hundreds" of citizens willing to donate blood. I don't doubt that, but how would the two parents know they definitely match with the baby? 

On principle the parents shouldn't be forced into anything. 

5 hours ago, CCB III said:

I think the parents should be able to do whatever is best for for their baby. If they don't want to inject it with vaccinated blood, fine. They should have the option to avoid that.

Should they? 

What about the next person who decides they don't want blood that meets some other criteria. Do we all just get to pick who blood used for our treatments comes from?

If someone says they don't want blood from people who've had an MMR jag, is that okay? Or people who say they don't want the blood of black folk? Or if someone says they only want blood from people born in that country? 

Batshit mentalists playing with their own kids life. 

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 4
4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Should they? 

What about the next person who decides they don't want blood that meets some other criteria. Do we all just get to pick who blood used for our treatments comes from?

If someone says they don't want blood from people who've had an MMR jag, is that okay? Or people who say they don't want the blood of black folk? Or if someone says they only want blood from people born in that country? 

Batshit mentalists playing with their own kids life. 

Of course they should. They are happy for the child to get the required surgery, they claim to have the relevant blood donors lined up, so what's the issue?

If they personally wouldn't vaccinate their kid, why would they want their child to have vaccinated blood? 

You're advocating for government institutions to intervene in the personal decisions of families. You must have an insane amount of trust in these institutions to do right by you. 

As for the rest of your slippery slope "what if" argument, that's a straw man load of shit I don't see the point in responding to. 

The fact is there's a legitimate reason to not want the COVID vaccine. Even if you view it illegitimate, that's only your POV. 

People deserve the right to make decisions for their infants that they deem to be best, without the state telling them what to do. That's what the debate is here. 

• Upvote 4
6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Of course they should. They are happy for the child to get the required surgery, they claim to have the relevant blood donors lined up, so what's the issue?

If they personally wouldn't vaccinate their kid, why would they want their child to have vaccinated blood? 

You're advocating for government institutions to intervene in the personal decisions of families. You must have an insane amount of trust in these institutions to do right by you. 

As for the rest of your slippery slope "what if" argument, that's a straw man load of shit I don't see the point in responding to. 

The fact is there's a legitimate reason to not want the COVID vaccine. Even if you view it illegitimate, that's only your POV. 

People deserve the right to make decisions for their infants that they deem to be best, without the state telling them what to do. That's what the debate is here. 

+1

I know it's a terrible argument, and I try not to say it very often, but I do think your perspective on these things changes when you have kids.

There is no way that the state wants a better outcome for my child than I do. I might be wrong in what I choose, but I'd rather trust that than some faceless bureaucratic process which does not care about my child.

7 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Ten Caat has pointed out part of the issue.

Are they funding the entire process? Or are they expecting their decisions to be paid for by others/the tax payer? Genuine question as I don't know. 

To enable him to get the surgery he needs. 

No. I'm advocating for the state and its institutions not to be at the whim of every individual and their wants. 

It's not. You tell me where the line is. If someone doesn't want blood from a different race, is that okay? 

I never said I viewed reasons for not wanting the vaccine as illegitimate. 

They do. They can't expect every cunt else to pay for it though or systems/institutions to bend to their (and therefore every individuals) will. 

1 minute ago, Ramandu said:

+1

I know it's a terrible argument, and I try not to say it very often, but I do think your perspective on these things changes when you have kids.

There is no way that the state wants a better outcome for my child than I do. I might be wrong in what I choose, but I'd rather trust that than some faceless bureaucratic process which does not care about my child.

The states desired outcome might end up being better than the parents, or vice versa, there's no way of knowing.

The point is that the state shouldn't take the choice away from the parents.

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ten Caat has pointed out part of the issue.

Are they funding the entire process? Or are they expecting their decisions to be paid for by others/the tax payer? Genuine question as I don't know. 

To enable him to get the surgery he needs. 

No. I'm advocating for the state and its institutions not to be at the whim of every individual and their wants. 

It's not. You tell me where the line is. If someone doesn't want blood from a different race, is that okay? 

I never said I viewed reasons for not wanting the vaccine as illegitimate. 

They do. They can't expect every cunt else to pay for it though or systems/institutions to bend to their (and therefore every individuals) will. 

Point 1.) As far as I can tell they have many like minded people with appropriate blood types willing to donate. 

Point 2.) I can't see that it would matter? The state should provide a vax free option. The problem is, that would potentially undermine the vaccine mandate, which they can't be having. People shouldn't be coerced into giving their child something they don't want to, or being injected themselves. Basic principles of liberty at play here. 

Point 3.) They are willing him to get the surgery he needs, and as mentioned before, have people willing to give him the appropriate blood. If they are anti vax, they won't want their kid to have vaccinated blood. That's a legitimate position. 

Point 4.) I'm not advocating for that myself. I'm saying it's wrong that the state can decide what is best for someone else's child. If they are staunchly anti vax I highly doubt it's a "whim." It's a personal medical decision they should be entitled to make for themselves and for their children. 

Point 4.) No, because there's no obvious medical reason for not wanting the blood from a different race. The facts are that the long term effects of the COVID vaccine and their potential impacts are unknown. That is quite simply, a matter of fact statement. They don't want their child to be subjected to any of the potential long term side effects. The state taking that decision into its own hands, is fucked. 

Point 5.) No, my stance is specifically on the COVID vaccine. Any racist idiot saying they don't want a black persons blood doesn't have a legitimate medical reason for doing so. This couple do. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

So we've all to pay for the whims of every individual going for surgery? 

Nah. Don't think so. 

I'm sure there's enough anti-vaxxers out there for a gofundme campaign and then they can pay for it all, and have all the blood from willing unvaccinated people they can find. 

Again, it's not a "whim" it's a legitimate medical decision. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Who's getting to decide what's "legitimate" (and therefore that everyone else has to pay for) and what's not? 

It's interesting you're concerned with the cost. 

Well, I'd suggest refusing to allow your babies blood to potentially be filled with medicine in which the long term effects are still to be seen, is pretty legitimate. 

Everyone who took any COVID vaccine took a gamble. I was happy to take the gamble. Others not so.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Happens all the time, what do you think social workers do?

I don't think that's all social workers do. I happen to know a few. 

Generally, that's a last resort and there has to be serious grounds for it, signs of abuse, alcoholism or drug addiction in the parents. 

That's a different conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Why? 

Because it appears that's the biggest issue you have with it, is the cost. 

The reality is taxpayers would be split on whether or not they want their money spent on such a thing. 

The issue, to me, isn't one of cost, its one of personal Liberty and the right to decide what's best for you and your family. 

It's an intellectual and political problem, rather than one of cost. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

They shouldn't be forced to use vaccinated blood but they should be told, this is the blood your child will be getting... take it or leave it. If you don't accept it then the consequences for the child are firmly on you.

Why can't they have the choice if they don't want to the COVID vax?

Why should they have to give their child vaccinated blood if they are opposed to the COVID vaccines?

6 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Why can't they have the choice if they don't want to the COVID vax?

Why should they have to give their child vaccinated blood if they are opposed to the COVID vaccines?

Because as has been pointed out elsewhere where do you draw the line. Can racist parents refuse a black persons blood for their child? Should that also be a legitimate choice?

All this does is perpetuate the myth of Purebloods, and that the blood of those that are vaccinated is somehow tainted.

• Dildo 1