Coronavirus

Henry

10 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Because it appears that's the biggest issue you have with it, is the cost. 

For clarity, I think they're fucking stupid. They've got the right to be that though. They don't have the right for me to pay for it though. 

The reality is taxpayers would be split on whether or not they want their money spent on such a thing. 

That says absolutely nothing.

Taxpayers would be split on spending on millions of things the state spends money on. 

The issue, to me, isn't one of cost, its one of personal Liberty and the right to decide what's best for you and your family. 

They have the right. They just need to fund it themselves. 

It's an intellectual and political problem, rather than one of cost. 

It's multifaceted, definitely. They should start a gofundme and then pay for what they want. 

• Dildo 1

27 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Because as has been pointed out elsewhere where do you draw the line. Can racist parents refuse a black persons blood for their child? Should that also be a legitimate choice?

All this does is perpetuate the myth of Purebloods, and that the blood of those that are vaccinated is somehow tainted.

You draw the line at their reasoning.

You can't possibly know the long term effects of the COVID vaccines on the blood. They don't want their baby subjected to the unknown. Totally reasonable. 

Someone arguing that they don't want the blood of "another race" on the sole principle that they view other races to be inferior, or to have inferior blood, isn't reasonable. There's no medical basis for that argument. There is for not wanting vaccinated blood. 

In my view, anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

For clarity, I think they're fucking stupid. They've got the right to be that though. They don't have the right for me to pay for it though. 

That says absolutely nothing.

Taxpayers would be split on spending on millions of things the state spends money on. 

They have the right. They just need to fund it themselves. 

It's multifaceted, definitely. They should start a gofundme and then pay for what they want. 

1.) Silly. You couldn't possibly agree with everything the government spends money on. The taxpayer argument is a load of rubbish. You presume that they pay tax as well, no? So, as taxpaying citizens, why can't they be given a decision on whether or not their baby is given vaccinated blood? You don't get anywhere with that argument, you just go round and round, which is why I think it's best viewed as an issue of personal Liberty. 

2.) See 1

3.) Disagree

4.) Something I'm sure they could look in to. 

Ok let's assume this family does have a suitable number of potential donors (if the child affected has one of the rarer blood groups like group B or especially group AB then I'm almost 100% certain they won't have) then here's another spanner in the works.

These donors would need to attend a specially arranged donation session on the same day. Now again, I don't know the arrangements NZ has but in Scotland there are only 6 fixed donation centres in Aberdeen, Dundee, Livingston, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. They aren't open 7 days a week. I think Dundee for example is only open on Sundays

These donors, previously screened to ensure a match would all have to attend a donation centre (they aren't with the best will in the world going to send out a mobile donation unit to a remote place even if the parents offered to pay for it). Once the blood has been collected (there are standard volumes of blood required for certain operations, the surgeon would let them know how many units they require as routine. They also require a certain amount of emergency O neg blood as a contingency. Anyway once the blood has been collected, it needs stored until the operation takes place  (and then transported to the hospital the op is to take place in a day or two previous). It has a storage shelf life of 42 days beyond which it's useless . But who is to say that the child, for any number of reasons, would be fit to undergo the operation in that timescale? A simple cold in the days before the op is due and it's all off for minimum a month. Chances are, bang goes the specially donated blood along with it (in practice, they aren't going to waste it, they'll use it for other patients or at least separate out the plasma for freezing) Of course you'd then have to rearrange another group donation session to fit in with a rearranged operation

I just think, even if the parents offered to pay for everything, that logistically NZ blood transfusion service, and the responsible surgeon, would tell them politely to fuck off

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Ok let's assume this family does have a suitable number of potential donors (if the child affected has one of the rarer blood groups like group B or especially group AB then I'm almost 100% certain they won't have) then here's another spanner in the works.

These donors would need to attend a specially arranged donation session on the same day. Now again, I don't know the arrangements NZ has but in Scotland there are only 6 fixed donation centres in Aberdeen, Dundee, Livingston, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. They aren't open 7 days a week. I think Dundee for example is only open on Sundays

These donors, previously screened to ensure a match would all have to attend a donation centre (they aren't with the best will in the world going to send out a mobile donation unit to a remote place even if the parents offered to pay for it). Once the blood has been collected (there are standard volumes of blood required for certain operations, the surgeon would let them know how many units they require as routine. They also require a certain amount of emergency O neg blood as a contingency. Anyway once the blood has been collected, it needs stored until the operation takes place  (and then transported to the hospital the op is to take place in a day or two previous). It has a storage shelf life of 42 days beyond which it's useless . But who is to say that the child, for any number of reasons, would be fit to undergo the operation in that timescale? A simple cold in the days before the op is due and it's all off for minimum a month. Chances are, bang goes the specially donated blood along with it (in practice, they aren't going to waste it, they'll use it for other patients or at least separate out the plasma for freezing) Of course you'd then have to rearrange another group donation session to fit in with a rearranged operation

I just think, even if the parents offered to pay for everything, that logistically NZ blood transfusion service, and the responsible surgeon, would tell them politely to fuck off

Your knowledge is appreciated.

The bit in bold is what I'm getting at. The horse has bolted and it's not right to me. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

But it's their right and all the blood guys and surgeons should just have to suck it up and deal with it.