Coronavirus

Henry

True, potential is certainly there if policed correctly.

It's nigh-on-impossible to completely wipeout the virus without a vaccine or closing your borders, but if this new tiered system brings a fairer set of restrictions within Scotland then great.

The worry is without borrowing powers how can it be funded in the manner it should be. 

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Ok it's Scotland introducing 5 tiers. Not seen it yet but I wondered whether BlowJob had gone from 3 to 5. Seems like they're all still making it up on the hoof. 

Sturgeon basically said ????????...was overcooked ...BJ had his lower tier to high,

hence the extra 2 ????????tiers..

ats my take??

While it's not the top of my list of priorities, for a lot of folk it's more than that. The social aspect, seeing you pals....since we are unlikely to be able to mix indoors anytime soon. 

I miss going to the pub on a Saturday lunchtime, see my pals, moan about the fitba then heading to Pittodrie... To moan about the fitba more. 

Welling up here.... 

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

It's easy in hindsight. Everyone can see the past once it has crystallised itself and fully formed. It's not so easy to see what's going on in the present, clouded by confusion as it is, the variable levels of intellectual and critical thinking abilities giving totally different pictures and impressions. The future is even tougher to see and most don't even try, this being beyond their imaginations.

George Orwell and Aldous Huxley used their experiences, their intellects and their knowledge of human nature to write works of "fiction". Like you moobs, they were constantly asking why. Everyone going on about the "scandal" of Westminster's response in the first quarter of 2020 is old news. Some of us (including me) were screaming for lockdown well before we did. Others, like Sweden and Hitchens, didn't advocate a lockdown at all. In order to see what's going on now, let alone what will come to pass, we need to be asking why. The two points you make are excellent, some rare examples on this thread of trying to anticipate the future. In both regards, it is my opinion that you may be spot on. I've always said that this pandemic mismanagement might not be simple incompetence but something more sinister. The simpletons kept on asking for proof, for justification of my impressions, like we are not allowed to think forward because they are unable to. Great post. 

It's what I find most frustrating about the people who support the restrictions (not meaning just on here BTW) is that none of them look at the future. None can say how long is too long? How many jobs are worth it? How many deaths of other causes are OK? Fantasyland stuff about vaccines and treatments that don't exist is all they can come up with. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Should have had a regionalised tiered system for months so I'm supportive. 

The decision making will be interesting on tier placement.  Did she say when this would be announced? 

Only works if local councils share the same thoughts

For example, I’m a mile away from a pal. He’s tier 2, I’m tier 1. Both would use the same hospital. I’m allowed folk in mine but he’s not. Makes no sense. 

46 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

It's what I find most frustrating about the people who support the restrictions (not meaning just on here BTW) is that none of them look at the future. None can say how long is too long? How many jobs are worth it? How many deaths of other causes are OK? Fantasyland stuff about vaccines and treatments that don't exist is all they can come up with. 

Fantasyland stuff about protecting the vulnerable and that letting the virus run free will result in less economic ruin is all you can come up with. 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fantasyland stuff about protecting the vulnerable and that letting the virus run free will result in less economic ruin is all you can come up with. 

1. I've NEVER said 'let it run free' 

2. You can protect the vulnerable. Not 100% but you can't protect anyone 100% from anything

3. I am not in charge of the country. It is reasonable to ask our rulers to give a vision of how we get out of this. Credit to Sturgeon, she did that today. We're living with her tiers until we get a working vaccine so at least we know where we stand. I'm not 100% sure that's sinking in with people though but that's not her fault. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah. The disparity in case numbers between down here in the central belt and up in Aberdeen us huge.

Looks like that lockdown you all moaned about has worked a treat. 

Aye, it did work, within 2-3 weeks as well. 

I think the gripe here with the hospitality  is she didn't lock down the central belt or put a travel ban in. Claimed it was household transmission but it still went up....? 

Your talking 8ish weeks down that way the numbers have been high for now? 

The problem is though it just takes one person in a tier one area to have it and it might spike and then becomes a tier 5. I don’t know the solution but we can’t be continually locking down places. There will be no businesses left, we eventually will have to just accept it is out there and it is up to you if you want to take the risk.

And how the fuck is that Manchester thing working, you can’t go to a bar but you can go to a restaurant and drink. Zero logic behind that.

1 minute ago, Fridge said:

The problem is though it just takes one person in a tier one area to have it and it might spike and then becomes a tier 5. I don’t know the solution but we can’t be continually locking down places. There will be no businesses left, we eventually will have to just accept it is out there and it is up to you if you want to take the risk.

And how the fuck is that Manchester thing working, you can’t go to a bar but you can go to a restaurant and drink. Zero logic behind that.

Fridge it's all unworkable. Tier zero one week, tier 2 the next, tier 3 the next, all with a 3 or 4 week lag so you are always chasing your tail. It's fucking nonsense. Permanent restrictions will just do more harm than good but that's what we've got. 

8 minutes ago, Fridge said:

The problem is though it just takes one person in a tier one area to have it and it might spike and then becomes a tier 5.

The tiers are 0-4. Not 1-5. 

The test and protect system has to work and folk who're told to isolate, have to do it. That's what should break the chains of transmission and prevent spikes. 

Nae sure test and protect works either. Nobody contacted me and I signed in properly in Soul Bar during Shinniegate.

I’m also nae even sure what you are supposed to do, if I get contacted after being for a pint today and someone here has it am I supposed to notify every shop I have been otoand they would have to contact every person they have been in contact with? I’m not judging it as they have to do something but just think It is unworkable.

7 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Nae sure test and protect works either. Nobody contacted me and I signed in properly in Soul Bar during Shinniegate.

I’m also nae even sure what you are supposed to do, if I get contacted after being for a pint today and someone here has it am I supposed to notify every shop I have been otoand they would have to contact every person they have been in contact with? I’m not judging it as they have to do something but just think It is unworkable.

Nah. You'll be interviewed by a test and protect person who'll ask where you've been, who you've been with, etc. They'll notify anyone they define as a "contact" and tell them to isolate. 

If everyone has the app, it'd all work much more easily.