VAR in the SPFL

We've seen in recent weeks in England, where the refs are full-time professionals, that they can still make an almighty cunt of things even with a vastly better form of VAR.

There's no doubt that we should be insisting up here that our refs are also full time. But cancelling VAR? All we require is the refs to apply it consistently and also use it to wipe out the ridiculous situation that's developed over the last 40 years or so where defenders are routinely allowed to manhandle attackers at set pieces.

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

We've seen in recent weeks in England, where the refs are full-time professionals, that they can still make an almighty cunt of things even with a vastly better form of VAR.

There's no doubt that we should be insisting up here that our refs are also full time. But cancelling VAR? All we require is the refs to apply it consistently and also use it to wipe out the ridiculous situation that's developed over the last 40 years or so where defenders are routinely allowed to manhandle attackers at set pieces.

That's fine but which is more important?

I ask that because for years we've been told we have to make do with amateur referees because it's too expensive to have professionals, yet the money was found for VAR.

The way I look at it, there's little point having VAR without professional referees in place first.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Ibrox.  Just fuck off.

so transparently being artificially supported to second it’s beyond embarrassing.

They’re making sure the ‘post split’ game still means something. It’s pathetic 

If there’s still 9 points in it after split, first game will be arsecheeks. 
That way if Tim’s win, they will still not (mathematically) have won league as 12 points still available 🤣

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

They’re making sure the ‘post split’ game still means something. It’s pathetic 

Only reasonable answer I can think of too. Definitely a pen as the ball was still in play and the Killie player probably would have got to it. Down the other end you just know that would have been checked and given 

• 2 weeks later...

So, as expected, VAR can’t cope in Scotland.

They appear to have thought the following parameters should continue:

1/ that big team decisions should be treated differently to small team decisions

2/ that said decision “flexibility” is ok as long as these things equal each other out for two Clubs and two Clubs only

3/. That it doesn’t matter if the small team decisions a/ are unfair, b/ game altering, c/ potentially season altering and d/ just plain wrong as long as the equilibrium mentioned at #2 remains undisturbed.

This is all despite the fact that the very purpose of VAR makes it both reviewable and accountable.  

its like they actually believed the “these things even out” mantra and thought all they had to do was prove it (for 2 clubs).

41 minutes ago, englishred said:

If they find that the 3rd for rangers was offside will the var guy be binned just as the one was in England involving arsenal when he drew the line in the wrong place? 

I very much doubt it

It was Andrew Dallas.

That’s the dictionary definition of nepotism, right there.

Also, co-incidentally the dictionary definition of hun bastard.

But, to answer your question, no, fuck all will happen. 
The SFA will say nothing, circle the wagons, and sweep it under the carpet. 

Some of the decisions were beyond fathomable. 
The hun 3rd goal - clearly offside.  
The Considine hand ball - clear pen. Inexcusable to miss it. 
The St Mirren pen - clear dive.

For Killie & Dundee Utd, robbed of two points due to complete ineptitude, which given where they are, is not something they should accept without taking it up with the SFA. 

8 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So, as expected, VAR can’t cope in Scotland.

They appear to have thought the following parameters should continue:

1/ that big team decisions should be treated differently to small team decisions

2/ that said decision “flexibility” is ok as long as these things equal each other out for two Clubs and two Clubs only

3/. That it doesn’t matter if the small team decisions a/ are unfair, b/ game altering, c/ potentially season altering and d/ just plain wrong as long as the equilibrium mentioned at #2 remains undisturbed.

This is all despite the fact that the very purpose of VAR makes it both reviewable and accountable.  

its like they actually believed the “these things even out” mantra and thought all they had to do was prove it (for 2 clubs).

Laughable that some people thought VAR would make any difference to the biased and corrupt refereeing we have here

We don't have the money to do VAR properly.  They were discussing it on Radio Scotland this afternoon.  We have the same system as down south, except whereas they have 24 cameras at each game we only have six.  That impacts the angles available for reviewing footage and how the offside lines are drawn.  We can't afford 24 cameras per game so we'll always get dodgy decisions on that front.  And then there's the referees still getting the subjective decisions wrong, despite having six angles to look at it from.  Don't get me started on all the recent rule changes about handball, it's fucking crazy.  

We'd be better putting the money into youth development and knocking it on the head. 

It negatively impacts on the match experience as well which is another reason for binning it. 

It's only saving grace is that it builds up a body of evidence for shite officiating which might come in handy somewhere down the road. 

16 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We're actually in a situation where var is not just missing stuff but is over ruling perfectly good decisions as well. 

Which is completely bonkers. 

You have to wonder what the hell they are doing !! Really poor that nothing gets done, they basically don't do anything that would disrupt their title race as they probably don't want sky to show pointless games if one runs away it will be league over before split ..

Just now, englishred said:

You have to wonder what the hell they are doing !! Really poor that nothing gets done, they basically don't do anything that would disrupt their title race as they probably don't want sky to show pointless games if one runs away it will be league over before split ..

Somebody nailed it all really well up thread.  Just another vehicle for whataboutery between two teams and fuck everyone else. 

8 minutes ago, ullevi said:

Anyone got any footage of the suspected Hearts handball yesterday? Looked like a handball from the Main stand

In the second half? The guy Smith almost caught the ball, Hearts broke up the park and Snodgrass shot wide but we were convinced play would be brought back and penalty given to Dons, still can’t believe it was missed.

1 minute ago, starryfish said:

In the second half? The guy Smith almost caught the ball, Hearts broke up the park and Snodgrass shot wide but we were convinced play would be brought back and penalty given to Dons, still can’t believe it was missed.

Yes that was the one, looked blatant, the ref seemed to go to VAR not seen anything about it or footage 

5 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

We don't have the money to do VAR properly.  They were discussing it on Radio Scotland this afternoon.  We have the same system as down south, except whereas they have 24 cameras at each game we only have six.  That impacts the angles available for reviewing footage and how the offside lines are drawn.  We can't afford 24 cameras per game so we'll always get dodgy decisions on that front.  And then there's the referees still getting the subjective decisions wrong, despite having six angles to look at it from.  Don't get me started on all the recent rule changes about handball, it's fucking crazy.  

Great post , this is exactly the problem , we are so backwards its unreal.  We don't even have goal line tech either most other leagues had this years ago.  When you hear stuff like this is it any wonder we are so far behind on a footballing front.   We could do with a new Chief Ex who could come in with a forward thinking and productive ideas rather than Doncaster and his bullshit about meaningless games and backing down to sky for 4 of games a season.  

12 minutes ago, englishred said:

The concern is they’re creating something close to a title race where one might not otherwise exist.

ref the fan experience Buttons Preston made that comment yesterday about the st Mirren first equaliser.  Leanne the hun immediately said that’s offside but it took the ref something like 4 minutes to come to the Same conclusion.

And yes, I agree.  Take the cheeks out of it and no one seems to care.  I’ve a degree of sympathy for the Considine one - he’s being fouled and panics but Curtis Main, fucking hell.

10 minutes ago, ullevi said:

Yes that was the one, looked blatant, the ref seemed to go to VAR not seen anything about it or footage 

I sit with two pals in the lower RDS, we all saw it straight away, other pals in South Stand didn’t see a thing, I thought VAR was meant to highlight these clear and obvious errors! I was sure it wasn’t just me and my pals imagining it!