Cormack Thread

6 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

What exactly is Gunn getting blamed for? What is his exact remit also? Doubt he would have had the final say in any of the managers appointments. 

As the supposed DOF he should have a very large say in it.

Hopefully this consultation thing identifies him as a waste of space.

Quite happy with Warnock but I’m not ready to sign Cormacks praises, far from it.

He’s kicked the can down the road for a few months. If he’s doing a full review of the club - good, but it needs to get sorted.

The pressure isn’t going away, from me anyway. The next appointment is massive, he can’t afford another mistake.

• Upvote 1
On 2/2/2024 at 8:03 AM, a don in oz said:

Of course. He at the very least signs off on the appointments but a manager is a lottery no matter who it is. Anyone think that Mourinho or Klopp would do well for us? 

We'll just have to see whoever it is he gets in, if they can hack it unlike the last 3 and - checking - 7 of the previous 10 before that. 

Good:

God for 2 seasons

Calderwood. Ish

McInnes for a handful of seasons

Dogshit:

Aitken

Alex Fucking Miller

Hegarty

Skovdahl (even if he had a helluva personality)

Paterson

Y'know Mark y'know McGhee 

Brown (though he's not diarrhoea because he at least steadied the ship)

As much as I loathe the Wig Wam Bam and his disastrous tenure, not all appointments were his fault.

For instance, Aitken started off very well and in his 1st full season got us a creditable 3rd place finish and deservedly won the League Cup. It was his failure in the transfer market after that which killed his tenure, but on paper he had good ideas for the Club; bringing Burkinshaw in as an advisor, for instance, was a good move in theory, which simply didn't work out, but at least Aitken had ideas and genuine ambition. Can't fault him for that.

Skovdahl was also a proven manager, who made Brondby a respected side in Europe, as well as domestically. It's also easy to forget what a horror show he inherited, but from March 2000 onwards made drastic improvements, hence the 2 cup finals and eventually getting us into Europe, where we pushed Hertha Berlin (then a very good Bundesliga side) all the way over 2 legs. Had he been given the kind of money Aitken (or even McInnes or Robson) since had... who knows?

Paterson was also hailed as a very promising up and coming manager and it's easy to say with hindsight about his alcoholism, but at the time many lauded the appointment. 

3 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Quite happy with Warnock but I’m not ready to sign Cormacks praises, far from it.

He’s kicked the can down the road for a few months. If he’s doing a full review of the club - good, but it needs to get sorted.

The pressure isn’t going away, from me anyway. The next appointment is massive, he can’t afford another mistake.

I'd like to see the results from Warnock first before we get too carried away.Id also like to know how much sacking 4 management teams in 3 years has cost,together with hiring Warnock  and getting in these elite consultants. 

I've been critical of late, but feel it's only fair to cut Dave Cormack some slack. He should have acted sooner, but he has acted and what we're seeing and hearing right now is genuinely positive.

And just generally, Saturday lunchtime through to this evening have been brilliant. We've had excitement and fun, both on and off the park. Long may it continue.

Saturday onward ...

Outstanding second half showing against Celtic. Overall we were the better side and probably deserved the win against the Champions. A team against whom we typically lose comfortably to.

The club have acknowledged the current set-up isn't working. They've undertaken a top to bottom review and accepting those currently in place aren't best positioned to carry it out, have sought external help.

We've appointed an experienced, charismatic manager with a fantastic track record. A man who oozed energy in his opening press conference and spoke of winning the Cup.

In appointing Neil Warnock the club has generated a huge amount of publicity which has extended beyond Scottish borders. Everyone is talking about this. Our fans, other clubs fans and the mainstream media are absorbed.

And given the largely negative response from primarily West Coast based/affiliated pundits & journalists, it's pretty clear his arrival has ruffled more than a few feathers.

All of which sounds pretty darn good to me.

• Upvote 6
12 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As much as I loathe the Wig Wam Bam and his disastrous tenure, not all appointments were his fault.

For instance, Aitken started off very well and in his 1st full season got us a creditable 3rd place finish and deservedly won the League Cup. It was his failure in the transfer market after that which killed his tenure, but on paper he had good ideas for the Club; bringing Burkinshaw in as an advisor, for instance, was a good move in theory, which simply didn't work out, but at least Aitken had ideas and genuine ambition. Can't fault him for that.

Skovdahl was also a proven manager, who made Brondby a respected side in Europe, as well as domestically. It's also easy to forget what a horror show he inherited, but from March 2000 onwards made drastic improvements, hence the 2 cup finals and eventually getting us into Europe, where we pushed Hertha Berlin (then a very good Bundesliga side) all the way over 2 legs. Had he been given the kind of money Aitken (or even McInnes or Robson) since had... who knows?

Paterson was also hailed as a very promising up and coming manager and it's easy to say with hindsight about his alcoholism, but at the time many lauded the appointment. 

Exactly my point. No matter what the credentials, and the background, it's a lottery. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, a don in oz said:

Exactly my point. No matter what the credentials, and the background, it's a lottery. 

Fully agree. However, we can't get away from the fact Cormack should have sourced an experienced replacement for McInnes. I don't buy the rumours he was on £17k a week, but if that was even half true, a £10k a week deal would have enticed many young managers looking to use us as a stepping stone to England or a top league abroad, a middle career manager looking to rebuild their stock after a sacking in England (as McInnes himself was) or even a late career man, looking for one last challenge (as Brown was and now Warnock). 

What's even worse, is that he didn't learn from his mistake with Glass and did the same thing twice more. He needs to get this consultation process bang on and ensure we are in tip top shape for next season, or else the opportunity of group stage European football could be lost for many years.

I’ll happily do this mans consultancy work free of charge.

Simply find out whoever thought it would be a good idea to sign Shayden Morris, as well as the person who decided we didn’t need to sign any wingers in January but infact we needed to put one out on loan, and just shoot them in the face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

Poor Dave, his ticker will be heading back into the danger zone merely thinking about how much cash is going to have to be thrown at this side over the summer.  

If I was him I’d Sell Miovski and bail out.Tried his best but will end up squandering millions over next few years otherwise. Not got a clue what he’s doing.

• Upvote 4

The strategy of assembling a big squad to fight on all fronts has backfired spectacularly. It has resulted in a stringy squad not fit for purpose and we are failing on ALL fronts. If we had used the money wisely, we could have got better players who can last a season. A smaller squad to bring continuity. Davie boy has failed in this business venture  but hopefully he has learned a lot.

I think Cormack might sack it after selling Miovski. Say we make 8 million plus from the transfer. Cormack will probably take that, cut his losses and go. 

To be fair to him nobody expected Covid and the absolute fucking mess that brought to the game as a whole.

he’s obviously had a bad health scare and I wonder what’s the point. Take his money and live his life out in the sun. 

3 minutes ago, scottymc said:

I think Cormack might sack it after selling Miovski. Say we make 8 million plus from the transfer. Cormack will probably take that, cut his losses and go. 

To be fair to him nobody expected Covid and the absolute fucking mess that brought to the game as a whole.

he’s obviously had a bad health scare and I wonder what’s the point. Take his money and live his life out in the sun. 

His money? How is any fee received for Miovski his money? He can fuck right off if that thought even enters his head 

4 minutes ago, scottymc said:

He’s retired and rich as fuck. The Dons are a plaything for him.

He already lives in his own mansion, in the Florida sun.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, RUL said:

If I was him I’d Sell Miovski and bail out.Tried his best but will end up squandering millions over next few years otherwise. Not got a clue what he’s doing.

That would mean someone buying his share capital, min! Nae sure there will be loads lining up for that. 

• Upvote 1

Finishing 3rd last season papered over many cracks in his time as chairman of Aberdeen. We could have very easily not even made the top six if Barry Robson didn’t take us on the run he miraculously did after the worst week in the clubs history.

No doubting that things have improved off the pitch while he’s been here but it’s been a complete and utter shambles on it. 

He won’t be going anywhere though so let’s hope this performance review has the desired effect and we get a proper manager in come the end of the season.