In the News

Ramandu

9 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Please do.  I'd come see you. I'd laugh like fuck.  You'd be safe I'm sure.

That's my point though, you can't just say/do anything because you're a comedian.

If Jerry Sadowitz actually believes what he says, then he's a racist. Just because he says it on a stage doesn't change that. 

4 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I don't understand why folk wouldn't admit to it. The thing about going to see Sadowitz is that you hear this constant 'gasping' by people before they laugh. It's like they can't believe he said something but then realise that what he has said is funny. But..., the only reason folk gasp is because they have been conditioned to think a certain way ie some subjects are off limits for humour. That's just bullshit. 

Because they are virtue signallin' hypocrites.  Fuckin' cowards as well.  Fuckin' runnin' scared to say the wrong thing or admit that they are not quite as virtuous as they'd like to have folk believe.  Fuckin pathetic humans.

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

Try it and you’ll find out.

Well that's the thing, what you say has ramifications. 

Slapping comedy on it doesn't change that. 

It is disappointing he's not allowed to play, and I don't agree with it, but he's not got a god given right to be anywhere. 

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

You can't just tweet threats to folk and expect to get away with it because 'it was a joke'. It's about context. It's reasonable to assume that people paying to see a comedian are going there to be entertained. 

So you can be as racist, homophobic, misogynistic, expose yourself to folk, and it's all good cause it's entertainment? 

I agree if it's purely a stage persona and it's ironic, and purely for laughs, that's cool. 

If the boy Sadowitz is like that in real life, then it seems he's a bit of a cunt. 

1 minute ago, Hairdrier said:

Sadowitz was always gratuitously offensive and off the scale - that is the whole point of his show. He's been doing it for decades.

The politically correct brigade in the BBC were probably behind banning him. 

Aye, I bet these fuckers plant folk in the audience for just that purpose.  Fuck the TV license.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

The venue booked him. 

And they can unbook him, totally up to them. 

You don't have to agree with it, you can make the argument about self expression, but society has changed and most people no longer want their comedians to be racist, misogynistic or whatever for a laugh. 

People will say shit like "it's PC gone mad" or it's woke cancel culture or fitever, but it's just a change, what people liked 50 years ago is different to now, and it might change again.  

3 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

@CCB III

Who decides on what is acceptable?

You're far too young I'd assume to know who Mary Whitehouse was.

We'd have missed out on brilliant comedians like Dave Allen or Billy Connolly if she'd had her way.

There will, I'd assume, be a gazillion Liz truss and Boris Johnson jokes being made, prince Andrew too given the weather, at the fringe.

No one will bat an eyelid.

Not forgettin' her partner in shame Lord Longford.

This sort of nanny state censorship can fuck off. It’s comedy so shouldnt be taken seriously however offensive it is to some folk.

No one is being forced to go to a Sadowitz gig.

His ‘offensive’ language and jokes dont offend Jerry Sadowitz fans who pay to watch him do a gig. 

Niche acts being banned cos self-righteous bores think we should all have the same morals when it comes to something as subjective as comedy should never be pandered to like this. 

You can think its immoral/offensive/shite/not funny but none of that is a valid reason for a comedy act to be banned. 

(Russell Howard better be banned after this)

40 minutes ago, patrick bateman said:

@CCB III

Who decides on what is acceptable?

You're far too young I'd assume to know who Mary Whitehouse was.

We'd have missed out on brilliant comedians like Dave Allen or Billy Connolly if she'd had her way.

There will, I'd assume, be a gazillion Liz truss and Boris Johnson jokes being made, prince Andrew too given the weather, at the fringe.

No one will bat an eyelid.

I certainly won 't. Going to see him in October and if he doesn't have at least half the audience walking out disgusted I'll be well disappointed.

1 hour ago, patrick bateman said:

So the pleasance has issued a new statement.

Nothing to do with his cock it seems.

Seems odd that they didn't know the content, but it's a well known act.

Strange all round.

Crucial words in their statement: “in our view”

Expect more of this bullshit in our dystopian future coming from all directions.

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

So anyone can do anything they want,

They obviously can’t DO anything they want, they couldn’t murder someone in the name of comedy and get away with it. I was specifically referring to your example of taking a shit on stage. Is that even illegal? Foul, disgusting, yes but illegal!?

Words are fair game though. We’ve seen a few attacks on comedy recently, part of an agenda no doubt. The Chris Rock / Will Smith ‘incident’, Jimmy Carr gypsies joke and now Sadowitz. We are in dangerous times.

2 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Would you never laugh at or indulge in 'dark humour' with your pals?  Genuine question. 

Not as dark as that. My pals are a decent bunch of lads and know where to stop.

There are a couple of them that churn out the sick jokes on whatsapp group but never tend to get much traction.

Its just not really acceptable these days, whether that’s right or not.