Next Manager

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Can only assume what mini means is that we offered MoN the gig, got rejected, and then moved on to ten other candidates but keep going back to MoN each time we get rejected elsewhere, to offer his more dough?

And now we’ve finally given in on the chase for MoN, and will approach candidate number 12?

Not as much as 10 but half way there an still time to reach the big number.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Looks like the rumour of European manager incoming is legit.

Apparently it's German stalwart, Fitz Gannon.

Style, voluptuous and attacking.

Hopefully a good fit(z).

Not sure about this one; his Vietnamese agent was asked about his availability, Nga Kenh Minh.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

hes not actually said no just the Irish FA, so in theory if he really wanted the job he could just walk.

Well aye, technically it's still a rejection though, just not from an actual manager, a nice change for the club.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, minijc said:

O'Neill hasn't rejected us, his FA has told us where to go, I guess we asked other people after O'Neill initially went quiet whilst also holding out hope they'd still get him, now they know they can't.

Cheers btw.

You said in your post that it was clear he rejected us.

I suppose it’s down to when they he was interviewed, have you heard when that was? 

21 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Can only assume what mini means is that we offered MoN the gig, got rejected, and then moved on to ten other candidates but keep going back to MoN each time we get rejected elsewhere, to offer his more dough?

And now we’ve finally given in on the chase for MoN, and will approach candidate number 12?

No. Conversations with O’Neil were good. We walked away after negotiations with NI. It probably didn’t get as far as offering of job. But signs were good. That’s probably why our Icelandic friend jumped on appointment as we thought it was going to happen. I had heard they wanted 1m but his contract is so long and big it could of been a lot more. 

I don’t actually think he was top target but that’s just my assumption. 

I think folk are a bit insatiable about this, they don’t really understand how this whole thing works. There’s so many bits to the process of recruiting coaching staff that there can be a “rejection” at any part of the process that might not be an outright rejection of the “the job’s yours/no I don’t want it”.

A couple of posters in here will know very clearly how this works due to a personal experience someone “close to me” had, which I alluded to in a post a couple weeks ago. So I’m prepared to believe that rather than outright rejections, as in actually offered the job, candidates are simply withdrawing from the process because certain staff at Aberdeen Football Club are just really quite poor at their jobs, and disrespecting the thought process and “baggage” that every single candidate has which affects their own decision-making.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, slippers said:

No. Conversations with O’Neil were good. We walked away after negotiations with NI. It probably didn’t get as far as offering of job. But signs were good. That’s probably why our Icelandic friend jumped on appointment as we thought it was going to happen. I had heard they wanted 1m but his contract is so long and big it could of been a lot more. 

Surely an agreement to speak to him AND a possible compensation figure would have had to be agreed before any interview. Suppose that's why this is a rumours thread. There will be rumours and absolute "Tosh". 🤭

5 minutes ago, slippers said:

I don’t actually think he was top target but that’s just my assumption. 

This makes the most sense to me of all the stuff I've seen on O'Neill. 

5 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I think folk are a bit insatiable about this, they don’t really understand how this whole thing works. There’s so many bits to the process of recruiting coaching staff that there can be a “rejection” at any part of the process that might not be an outright rejection of the “the job’s yours/no I don’t want it”.

A couple of posters in here will know very clearly how this works due to a personal experience someone “close to me” had, which I alluded to in a post a couple weeks ago. So I’m prepared to believe that rather than outright rejections, as in actually offered the job, candidates are simply withdrawing from the process because certain staff at Aberdeen Football Club are just really quite poor at their jobs, and disrespecting the thought process and “baggage” that every single candidate has which affects their own decision-making.

Far too sensible and reasoned for this thread.

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

So the question remains, if Burrows is still hopeful of getting his main/original target, is MoN still in his crosshairs, or is that all bull and he’s actually moved on to the next victim?

Next guy up I reckon.

1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

So the question remains, if Burrows is still hopeful of getting his main/original target, is MoN still in his crosshairs, or is that all bull?

If what I believe to be probably the truth of it (based only on my opinion and no inside knowledge), then it would take MoN to go to NI FA and state his wish to leave and try force the issue. I don't see that happening though. 

1 minute ago, sheepshagger said:

So O'Neill was interviewed without knowing how much compensation etc it would cost? None of this makes sense. 

Presume he'd been tapped up, then when we approached IFA, we didn't like the numbers required to formally approach.

Hence the "no offer, no rejection", and no formal interview.

3 minutes ago, sheepshagger said:

So O'Neill was interviewed without knowing how much compensation etc it would cost? None of this makes sense. 

Players and coaches can talk to prospective new clubs with their current club approval- nothing says the compo has to be agreed first.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Dandys1983 said:

if anyone on here leaves a job it don't go to a tribunal. 

If O'Neill walked out of his contract and then joined us, their FA would claim for compensation and win.

Just like how a player can't terminate his contract and join another club without compensation. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Far too sensible and reasoned for this thread.

Yeah, people would rather ignore the reality and deal in gossip, it’s like the mannie version of these gossip magazines.

One thing’s for sure though, AFC are taking far too long and handling it badly, and from the experience I’m personally aware of, it is not surprising in the slightest. It’s now become a bad club, when so many past players and staff would have told you it was a good club.

There is one common factor there and this is why I can’t bring myself to recognise all the so-called good stuff that has been done on the non-football operation. It’s like hitching a massive fuck-off caravan on a car that you refuse to service. “The car is falling to bits but aye look at the caravan”.

Most deals are conducted via the agent before any employers are contacted these days despite the 'rules' which are largely disregarded and only followed once the candidate (player or manager) is definitely interested. 

The likelihood is that we contacted his agent to suss out if he'd be interested and what kind of salary he'd be looking for. The NI compensation would absolutely have came up in that conversation though there may have been an intimation that it might be negotiable. 

How much Michael O'Neill was really interested only he can say for sure.  I suspect he's used this to alert other clubs that he'd be interested in returning to club football. 

3 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Players and coaches can talk to prospective new clubs with their current club approval- nothing says the compo has to be agreed first.

Yup. Tapping up isn’t even thing now as their is so much intermediates you can go through. Which is almost like speaking to the person anyway. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, GGMDONS said:

We need to get behind the new Manager  even if he isn't our choice as he wanted the job

I just can't see it being Lennon as he would be in by now 

Absolutely but the type of appointment goes a long way to seeing how much patience he gets from fans. I’m hoping the next manager gets assurances he gets 3 transfer windows minimum.  

1 minute ago, GGMDONS said:

We need to get behind the new Manager  even if he isn't our choice as he wanted the job

I just can't see it being Lennon as he would be in by now 

Not necessarily, if it's true we have been after, as others allude to, 5 or 6 guys who have for varying reasons all rejected us or haven't been available for whatever reasons.

He could well be next in line. Although anyone with half a brain would now know that they weren't our first choice, indeed not even 2nd or 3rd choice as it's taken so long for us to make an appointment. So whoever does get it could be tarred with a label of being a bit desperate.....those with any pride would now tell us to fuck right off.

• Haha 1