Coronavirus

Henry

4 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The MASS vaccination centre at Teca has 12 booths!! ??

You have to have enough staff qualified to do vaccinations

And remove them from their normal site of employment without detracting from the services at them

Aberdeen is hardly a bustling metropolis

21 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

You have to have enough staff qualified to do vaccinations

And remove them from their normal site of employment without detracting from the services at them

Aberdeen is hardly a bustling metropolis

Come on min, surely there's more than a dozen spare, that's before you get into retired doctors, lapsed nurses who would just need a refresher. The Army, TA'S, offshore medics etc etc. It's not rocket science. 12 is pitiful, we're in a national emergency.

5 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Come on min, surely there's more than a dozen spare, that's before you get into retired doctors, lapsed nurses who would just need a refresher. The Army, TA'S, offshore medics etc etc. It's not rocket science. 12 is pitiful, we're in a national emergency.

Have you seen the checklist retired nurses/doctors have to clear before they can do it? 23 different competencies/ up to date knowledge required. One of them is equality training...ridiculous I know

It could take 6 months for someone who has lapsed training in certain things they are wanting to achieve the competencies. And you might have to travel hundreds of miles at your own expense to attend the courses

I was going to volunteer. Not now

EDIT.....I don't think laypeople realise just how utterly risk averse the NHS has become in the past 30 years

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

Raising a kid is the easiest thing in the world.

If anyone tells you "Oh, it's SO hard!" then they're either dealing with exceptional circumstances or they're a terrible parent.

All things being equal, though, piece of piss. 

"I'm a full time parent..." shut the fuck up.

Correct. Have a +1

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Have you seen the checklist retired nurses/doctors have to clear before they can do it? 23 different competencies/ up to date knowledge required. One of them is equality training...ridiculous I know

It could take 6 months for someone who has lapsed training in certain things they are wanting to achieve the competencies. And you might have to travel hundreds of miles at your own expense to attend the courses

EDIT.....I don't think laypeople realise just how utterly risk averse the NHS has become in the past 30 years

I bow to your greater knowledge. I honestly thought a half day refresher would be all that was required for lapsed professionals in the field.

Guest milne_afc

They were showing a class of assorted bums and out of work dossers training to administer vaccines on itv news the other day. St Johns had about 50/day up to scratch and on the front line. I reckon Sturgeon is slowing things down so she can give away our vaccines to the EU. She’s a little shit.

12 is pathetic.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Agreed, the absolute drivel online modules were absurd 

56 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

They were showing a class of assorted bums and out of work dossers training to administer vaccines on itv news the other day. St Johns had about 50/day up to scratch and on the front line. I reckon Sturgeon is slowing things down so she can give away our vaccines to the EU. She’s a little shit.

12 is pathetic.

12?  The place is fucking massive. 

Could have had a couple of hundred in there no problem 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

12?  The place is fucking massive. 

Could have had a couple of hundred in there no problem 

As I said before.......its not the size that counts (ooerr missus)

The limiting factor will be how many staff are

a) qualified to administer vaccines 

and more importantly

b) how many of these staff are available (and can be afforded to be seconded from their main place of work)

Bearing in mind the NHS runs on the verge of staff shortages even at the best of times, there won't be too many wards or GP practices that can afford to lose staff to this

5 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

As I said before.......its not the size that counts (ooerr missus)

The limiting factor will be how many staff are

a) qualified to administer vaccines 

and more importantly

b) how many of these staff are available (and can be afforded to be seconded from their main place of work)

Bearing in mind the NHS runs on the verge of staff shortages even at the best of times, there won't be too many wards or GP practices that can afford to lose staff to this

Be heaps of folk who could easily do the job. Need to stop being fannies and take a little risk. 

You don’t stop to sign a form before you shoot a bullet in a war, this battle should be no different. 

2 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Be heaps of folk who could easily do the job. Need to stop being fannies and take a little risk. 

You don’t stop to sign a form before you shoot a bullet in a war, this battle should be no different. 

Easy seeing you don't work for the NHS

What you want will not be happening. Not now. Not ever

EDIT.......unless we ever do find ourselves in a war situation (and not one like the Falklands conflict....a proper all out war). There would be emergency powers granted in that situation without a doubt. Anyone trying to sue for malpractice would probably be shot

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Easy seeing you don't work for the NHS

What you want will not be happening. Not now. Not ever

EDIT.......unless we ever do find ourselves in a war situation (and not one like the Falklands conflict....a proper all out war). There would be emergency powers granted in that situation without a doubt. Anyone trying to sue for malpractice would probably be shot

Why won’t it be?

My ma retired from the NHS in the last 6 months, was administering injections sometimes although not a nurse. Why couldn’t she be trained up?

No slight on you personally. Just think if they can pass 100 acts in parliament to stop us going outside the situation must serious enough that they can retrain some retired folk.

It is the NHS who have made the biggest deal out of all of this. Another £500 bonus and surely they’d do an extra shift or two.

5 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Why won’t it be?

My ma retired from the NHS in the last 6 months, was administering injections sometimes although not a nurse. Why couldn’t she be trained up?

No slight on you personally. Just think if they can pass 100 acts in parliament to stop us going outside the situation must serious enough that they can retrain some retired folk.

It is the NHS who have made the biggest deal out of all of this. Another £500 bonus and surely they’d do an extra shift or two.

My ex, the daughters mum has landed a job at the vaccination place. Main job going round the vaccinators asking if they would like a tea or coffee. I've no doubt that's something people need but maybe someone has priorities mixed up somewhere if we only have 12 booths. I'm no expert.

2 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

Why won’t it be?

Vaccinations aren't "ordinary" injections

They come with a theoretical (relatively) high risk of anaphylaxis. She would need to be trained in advanced resuscitation techniques, know when and how to administer emergency adrenaline and in the right dosage. Blah blah blah. Not all current nurses have this certification 

There's a 23 point checklist that retired nurses and doctors have to pass on all points to be allowed to volunteer. Some are quite ridiculous but a few are quite specific to the covid vaccine. 

Trust me...unless you work in the NHS in a clinical position (because the admin and non-clinical managerial types haven't a fucking clue either)........it really isn't a subject you can comment on with any degree of accuracy

There's very little to train, show people how to draw the vaccine from the vial and how much, then tell them where to hit in the arm. I'm sure if this drags on it could easily be automated. Maybe if it was a more serious illness it would happen. We need normality back, the high street will be seen as the long term victim of this but it was dying anyway. The winner will be China.

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Vaccinations aren't "ordinary" injections

They come with a theoretical (relatively) high risk of anaphylaxis. She would need to be trained in advanced resuscitation techniques, know when and how to administer emergency adrenaline and in the right dosage. Blah blah blah. Not all current nurses have this certification 

There's a 23 point checklist that retired nurses and doctors have to pass on all points to be allowed to volunteer. Some are quite ridiculous but a few are quite specific to the covid vaccine. 

Trust me...unless you work in the NHS in a clinical position (because the admin and non-clinical managerial types haven't a fucking clue either)........it really isn't a subject you can comment on with any degree of accuracy

Surely 1 or 2 trained nurses/doctors could patrol the non experts and step in if they had a reaction.

5 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Surely 1 or 2 trained nurses/doctors could patrol the non experts and step in if they had a reaction.

I'm not the one making the rules up. I have been involved in flu vaccine clinics in the past. Even they carry the same anaphylaxis risk. Everyone administering had to be fully certified. 

And there were a few nursing assistants (ie not trained nurses) who were fully certified to do this. Not from hospitals....from district nursing teams. But their numbers were pretty limited

Another situation which might struggle is psychiatric hospitals. There will always be a few dual qualified (in old terms RGN/RMN or RGN/RNMH....i hate the "new" numbering registrations) but in most will be single qualified. And there will be very few in those situations who are qualified to do them

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm not the one making the rules up. I have been involved in flu vaccine clinics in the past. Even they carry the same anaphylaxis risk. Everyone administering had to be fully certified. 

We have a nurse at work that comes in to our office and does about 80 people in a day with the flu vaccine, surprised work hasn't swung the virus shots. Maybe come when people are not working from home. Seems more efficient than teca.