The Golf Thread

I played with about 4 other sets of irons and I found when my ball striking was on the go, couldn't work the ball as efficiently as the Mizunos. Best blades I've used.

For you. And indeed best clubs going, use them myself, though not blades, they're for the terminally vain. Doesn't change the fact it's the indian not the arrow that does the damage, you find what works best for you, and run with it. To suggest that a set of irons will take a course apart is nonsense.

How stupid are the Caley. Believe its just because they have quite a bit of cash in the bank and they didnt have want to put it into the whole pot of the 3 together. Sounds silly as the other 2 were willing to just move willing and not worry about stupid things like that. The northern for example have most land too and were more than willing to the change.

I heard Terry Allan was buying the Caley

And doing what, keeping it running at a loss?

edit: He is bonkers if he is; if BA & Northern can go it alone, which I imagine they can't, but if they can, then the Caley will die. All new players will be attracted to the shiny state of the art clubhouse on the course, rather than the dilapidated square room on the other side of the road, and gradually the Caley will run out of members. Just a terrible decision by the Caley.

And doing what, keeping it running at a loss?

Nae idea.....but Dod would be running it...again only rumour.

All I've heard is they are against any idea of all 3 moving into the broadhill bar, Ive heard that if they all went into the broadhill bar, then paul girvan would get involved with the links and they may re-design the links ( or a few holes)

It may all be pish, but thats what ive heard

All I can say to that is complete and utter idiots.

Are Northern & BA stil going ahead? Or are Caley going to bring the whole lot down?

As far as I'm aware the BA are financially better than the Caley. Some of them are saying it's because there was too many unanswered questions so fcuk knows how the other 2 clubs would vote YES then?

This was the final vote so for the 3 clubs to become 1 is totally dead in the water now. Doubt it 2 will join together

As far as I'm aware the BA are financially better than the Caley. Some of them are saying it's because there was too many unanswered questions so fcuk knows how the other 2 clubs would vote YES then?

This was the final vote so for the 3 clubs to become 1 is totally dead in the water now. Doubt it 2 will join together

I thought the Caley were.. not sure tho.. Think the 2 clubs voted yes cus it doesnt take enstein to work out once AFC leave the links, there wont be a club never mind 3 if they dont go together. I know it is last vote but surely it could be brought back up. Just a stupid stupid decision. Surely if the 3 of them went together they would have more chance of improving the condition of the course. Its in a terrible state nowadays.

wouldnt say the links is in a terrible state, but the caley members must have been influenced by an inner circle of business men to vote NO. :sherlock:

I agree with the last point but the first nope.. Greens are terrible, much smaller than they used to be and the fairways and greens are just poor. Then again due to lack of cash spent on them thats all.

If hey Paul is me? Lesson was good I'm going to work with andrew Locke at inchmarlo a little bit

I liked what he had to say today, were you there today?

Yeah i think your name is Paul ?

Yeah had a lesson before you...I have only been 4 times but really enjoying it with Andrew !

Was playing Craibstone on Saturday and they were handing out forms for membership, think its about 460 a year. Not too bad, quite a nice course.

A wee note before joining. A group of us left there this year as the club was under administration and we were not sure if it would survive or not.

The gadgies that bought Craibstone from the receiver did so as a business venture, and letters were sent out to members basically saying, back the club or it would fold and the land redeveloped. That was my take on it.

I believe that member numbers are down on the previous year, and if there isnt a significant increase in members next year, they will look at it again.

Joining may be a risk, but the more that join reduces the risk obviously. I doubt they would hand back your fees, I may be wrong.

The new owners are not golfers, however they are doing their best to make it work, encouraging golfers to join by handing out forms being one initiative.

Most golfers pay their annual fees, turn up, play their round and head home, with little added income to the club.

The lack of a professional adding contributions through sales and tuition does'nt help either.

I would doubt if any "provincial" golf club turns in a profit these days.

I hope it keeps going, because as you say, a good course, and run by good people with good intentions.